S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Leather cleaner/conditioner for Nappa?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Light dilution of woolite+distilled water to clean. Then a product for finished leather to protect (I use a product from 1 Einszett)

People need to remember that our leather is coated from the factory. Using a bunch of conditioners and creams are not going to do any good and may even may make cleaning the seats more difficult.

For Alcantara - just use the woolite mix.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I used Lexol cleaner & conditioner again yesterday, and it works great. I have the panda interior, so the dye of my jeans rubs off on the silver leather over time. After about 15 minutes of treatment with Lexol, it's back like new. I highly recommend this brand.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just tried the Lexol on my black Nappa leather interior. I am getting some streaking/blotching in places. I am wondering if I am not applying it correctly (too much/too little)? Or do the streaks/blotches fade in awhile...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not trying to be negative, but his must be the 10th time(probably exaggerating a little bit) that this question has been asked on this forum. I realize it is the first time for the OP. BUT, the archives are your friend.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've tried both the 1Z Einszett leather care and Leatherique leather restoration. 1Z is a nice quick leather cleaner but if you have creases and wear I highly recommend the full leatherique leather restoration line.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-ei...ege_p_500.html

http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonzaAvant
Lexol

/thread
Wrong - Lexol is not designed for Nappa style leather.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The "Nappa" leather Audi uses is urethane coated. Most of these leather treatment products everyone keeps throwing out are meant for household furniture leather which isn't coated. There's very little point in using them on coated automotive leather.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leatherique does make a difference. My current routine is Leatherique rejuvenate, followed by Pristine Clean, followed by Wolf's leather sealant. I'm really happy with the results right now.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
The "Nappa" leather Audi uses is urethane coated. Most of these leather treatment products everyone keeps throwing out are meant for household furniture leather which isn't coated. There's very little point in using them on coated automotive leather.
I think all the products mentioned so far are sold as automotive leather products.

I guess it's possible they are all a sham, as far as penetrating the urethane (which is porous at some level). The urethane probably eventually wears thin in places and/or develops microcracks. Sun exposure and very low humidity are the worst enemies of leather furniture so I imagine that's true for the leather used in car seats as well, even with a urethane coating.

Has there ever been an unbiased scientific test of car leather conditioners, to test their effectiveness at actually reaching the leather and doing something beneficial to extend its life?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
I think all the products mentioned so far are sold as automotive leather products.
That doesn't mean that's what they were originally made for. For example the Leatherique products were specifically designed for uncoated leather (AFAIK it predates coated leather).

I guess it's possible they are all a sham, as far as penetrating the urethane (which is porous at some level). The urethane probably eventually wears thin in places and/or develops microcracks. Sun exposure and very low humidity are the worst enemies of leather furniture so I imagine that's true for the leather used in car seats as well, even with a urethane coating.
I didn't exactly say they were a sham. I said they're not really intended for coated leather. That doesn't mean they're useless or don't do anything. However, there are products out there meant for coated leather. Products like 1Z einszett Leather Care Lederpflege, Adam's Polishes Leather Conditioner, & Optimum Protectant Plus that are designed/intended for use on coated leathers. For all intents and purposes you can think of coated leather as another plastic surface in the car.

Has there ever been an unbiased scientific test of car leather conditioners, to test their effectiveness at actually reaching the leather and doing something beneficial to extend its life?
Not that I've ever seen.

Quick Reply: Leather cleaner/conditioner for Nappa?