S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Low fuel, find nearest gas station feature

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low fuel, find nearest gas station feature

When my low fuel warning light came on, my nav asked me if I wanted it to search for the nearest gas station. That's pretty cool integration!

On the other hand, Audi Connect seems completely useless. I assume the nearest gas station is coming from the built in nav data, or is it coming through Audi Connect?

Google maps seems gimmicky for this application in that I don't see the value over the standard maps. Weather? Why bother? WiFi hotspot? My 4G phone works as a hotspot and is much faster.

Can't see paying money to keep the Audi Connect going after the free trial period. Or am I missing something?
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't have Audi connect, and I also have the "low gas-nearest gas station" feature, so it's not based on Audi Connect.

I would have chosen it, if Audi Connect would be able to use my Iphone's hotspot for data transfer, instead of relying on a dedicated SIM card that has to be used for phone/data.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MichaelB_1969
On the other hand, Audi Connect seems completely useless.

Can't see paying money to keep the Audi Connect going after the free trial period. Or am I missing something?
haha i think this decision is based mostly on how much you enjoy having technology and gadgets with your driving experience. the google search function is VERY useful and helpful...
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

I dumped Audi Connect. Not even close to worth $30/month when trial ended. Online search moderately useful (but ridiculously slow) so I can't see paying for it for the amount of use I get out of it. Maybe (really maybe) $5 / mo. would be ok.

Value to each person is based on how they use it. I can still search with nav but not as precisely. Otherwise, I never used the hotspot and don't think google maps display is much better than regular nav (plus too slow). It isn't the same as street view on a PC, at least in my car.

Last edited by RickFLS4; 03-01-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Consider PTel or TruSim. 3G month to month that's far less expensive than Audi's T-Mobile plan (so long as you don't use Google Earth which is a data hog). Do an Audi Forum search - much has been discussed.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The gasbuddy.com mobile app lets you find the nearest gas stations and shows you the current price/gal., it's free and pretty cool.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Like most, I let AudiConnect lapse after the trial period ended. It was DOG slow....and certainly not worth the money.

That said, I've had my S4 for 7 months.....Haven't heard a peep from Serius to renew, and I stll get their channels. Maybe I've fallen through the cracks?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GoNavy
The google search function is VERY useful and helpful...
I haven't tried it yet. I'll have to check it out.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by graphicguy
That said, I've had my S4 for 7 months.....Haven't heard a peep from Serius to renew, and I stll get their channels. Maybe I've fallen through the cracks?
Once my credit card expired and it took Sirius 14 months to notice
Old 03-02-2013, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going on five months now and have even received reduced renewal offers in the mail if I come back but Sirius continues to work for me as well.

Quick Reply: Low fuel, find nearest gas station feature