S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Max heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max heating

Question - in cold temperatures, whats the best way to heat up the car the quickest? Typically in previous cars, would crank it up to high and put on the air recycling until the car warms up. However, on the S4, I noticed that when I hit the recycle button, the AC button also comes on. Should I turn the AC off, or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am wondering the same thing. I can't seem to get it quite right and end up with foggy windows.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout
Question - in cold temperatures, whats the best way to heat up the car the quickest? Typically in previous cars, would crank it up to high and put on the air recycling until the car warms up. However, on the S4, I noticed that when I hit the recycle button, the AC button also comes on. Should I turn the AC off, or leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!
You can't really do much to make your car heat up faster. The engine produces most heat under load so it will heat up faster by driving normally rather than idling in your driveway. Regardless of the heater setting, you can only get heat equivalent to your coolant temp. I do find this car starts producing cabin heat very quickly (MUCH faster than my old BMW)

If you have it on recycle with the AC off, you will turn your car into a steam bath and it will fog up for sure. The AC removes moisture from the air and therefore keeps the humidity down and the windows clear. I find the Auto setting with A/C off works very well here in Vancouver. No fogging at all. Depending on your climate, you may need the A/C on to keep the windows clear.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turn the AC OFF. There is no reason to run the AC compressor if you don't need to cool the car. It will cause you to use more fuel and acomplishes nothing. BTW, I have been amazed at how quickly the engine warms up and blows hot air out of the heating ducts.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the good Doctor. Auto mode annoyed me as it kept putting the AC 'on' even in winter. I run in manual mode and adjust the air flow and temp as needed. If I kick the front defrost on, the AC does kick on until I shut it off. No complaints from me on the heat/system otherwise.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best way to warm up your car is start it, put on your seatbelt and drive gingerly until the car is warmed up. Once it is at operating temperature drive her hard. Idling a car is a waste of fuel. Sitting there your car is getting 0 mpg. It is also hard on the catalytic converter. The air conditioner comes on to correctly maintain the humidity levels in all seasons. The only time I allow my car to sit running is the time it takes to scrape the snow/ice of my windshield and windows. Hope that helps.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There's no Automatic "Economy" mode? My '02 Maxima had that. It would still operate automatically (fan speed, temp, & outlets), but not run the A/C compressor.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereodude
There's no Automatic "Economy" mode? My '02 Maxima had that. It would still operate automatically (fan speed, temp, & outlets), but not run the A/C compressor.
NO
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
No. I use Auto 95% of the time and have just become accustomed to hitting the Auto button and then the A/C button to shut it off. Another Audi quirk like maps, radio presets, and mix mode.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by LeoR604
No. I use Auto 95% of the time and have just become accustomed to hitting the Auto button and then the A/C button to shut it off.
Does it stay in that mode until you cycle the ignition at least?

Quick Reply: Max heating