S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

might regret having passed on Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might regret having passed on Navigation

Been cruising the forum, waiting for my Audi to come. Saw this picture from another thread.

I thought navigation just meant you lose one option in MMI, you lose the color driver info screen by the speedo, and you lose the hard drive. I didn't realize it meant you get an entirely different center console. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I did like the extra buttons because it made the car seem different from the regular A4. They were a bit difficult to use on the test drive because you can't really look down while driving. I'm sure it's easy for geeks to learn. It might be easier to use with the buttons up high.

I guess these are the perils of ordering a new car when there's none or hardly any on the lot. I may have gone for the Prestige.
Attached Images  
Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Press on the accelerator and you'll forget about the Nav. =D
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

The extra buttons you are talking about were only hard to use because you were not use to which button was what. After awhile I do not even need to look down to see what button is what, also the fact is I can just use the center dash where the speedo is to change songs, and make phone calls. Only time I even need to use the "extra buttons" is for the nav button everything else is just voice control or on the center dash

Getting nav was the second most amazing option I got for the car besides sport diff.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I opted to not get the Nav also.... I mostly drive the car local and don't need directions. I could care less about a backup camera and voice commands. The biggest loss IMO is the color display but with the pending change to color display for MY 2011 I am hoping the late deliveries come with it. Doubtful but I will see in early June. I just couldn't justify nearly 5% of the car value for a Nav and I personally like the clean look around the shifter. JMHO! later Ron
Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I find it odd that the portions which actually have something added (Nav and Voice Control) are something you don't care about, but the lack of the color DIS (which doesn't change or display anything different from the monochrome), and is thus only cosmetic, is the issue you have Ron.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I find it odd that the portions which actually have something added (Nav and Voice Control) are something you don't care about, but the lack of the color DIS (which doesn't change or display anything different from the monochrome), and is thus only cosmetic, is the issue you have Ron.
I understand.... Again, though the car will only be driven locally and on the track so the need for a Nav was minimal at best. I don't use my blackberry while driving and while I agree the voice command would be nice it isn't a deal breaker so to say. I would like the color display as my 2000S4 had the monochrome as does my wifes A4, so I was looking forward to the color. Didn't realize it was monochorme when I ordered nor that the B&O is different. I also like the controls on the dash where they belong. Again, JMO and since I don't even have the car yet maybe I will regret it later on but I don't think so.....
Old 04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

navigation on this car is amazing...probably the best i have seen save for the lack of a touch screen. one passenger said that the screen resolution was better than her laptop at work...that was worth a few bucks.

one issue though is that the voice interrupts music abruptly and often which is a complete pain...i think my bmw only softened the music and had fewer interruptions but i might be remembering it wrong.

phone integration is also excellent. blue tooth phone book with voice command is very good.

def. too many button though...and control wheel takes a lot of getting used too.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by meteor man
navigation on this car is amazing...probably the best i have seen save for the lack of a touch screen. one passenger said that the screen resolution was better than her laptop at work...that was worth a few bucks.

one issue though is that the voice interrupts music abruptly and often which is a complete pain...i think my bmw only softened the music and had fewer interruptions but i might be remembering it wrong.

phone integration is also excellent. blue tooth phone book with voice command is very good.

def. too many button though...and control wheel takes a lot of getting used too.
You can adjust the volume of the transitions. By default, it sounded like my music cut out completely. After I changed the settings it now just fades to where I can still keep the beat of the music, but also hear the directions.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
You can adjust the volume of the transitions. By default, it sounded like my music cut out completely. After I changed the settings it now just fades to where I can still keep the beat of the music, but also hear the directions.
I did the same
Old 04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
Yep, and you can change the volume of the Nav voice in real time it you find it is too obtrusive. Just adjust the volume control while the voice is talking and it will be lowered in relation to the background music.

Sometimes when I'm in a complex area and the voice commands are coming fast and furious I'll turn it way down until I get to some smoother sailing.

Quick Reply: might regret having passed on Navigation