S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MMI questions (music integration)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WatchNut
Thanks McGriddle.

Given what you mentioned about browsing by playlist, artist, album.....would you consider that a big enough advantage over just using SD cards organizaed by artist and album (folders) to warrant using the iPod over SD cards?

Michael
That's a good question. I guess it depends how much music you're keeping on the SD card versus the iPod and how easy it is for you to keep them organized that way. The iPod makes life easy using iTunes. On an SD card, you'd have to do the organizing yourself, which isn't necessarily bad at all, but you don't have the option to sort by differently on the fly as you do with the iPod using the AMI. That's really the key difference in my mind.

Generally, I'd prefer the iPod for that functionality. I don't always do that simply since I sometimes leave my iPhone in my pocket and don't think about hooking it up before driving. Since the AMI is in the glovebox, I can't really hook it up while driving (except maybe at a long light). I leave a couple of smaller SD cards hooked up with some choice playlists for those occasions.

Then there's the HDD Jukebox... kinda like AMI, but it only seems to only sort by artists or songs and doesn't keep playlists as far as I can tell.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. Based on what you've said....it may be worth picking up a cheap pre-owned iPod classic and leaving it in the glovebox full-time.

Appreciate the insights.

Michael
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here are a few question for everyone with the system.

1. For the iPod or SD card, does it support other languages? For example Japanese or Chinese characters? Meaning on the MMI screen will it display other languages? I know on my friend's 911, they show up blank, only displays english.

2. For the SD card option will it support m4a files which are native itunes files? or do i need to convert them to mp3?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuking

1. For the iPod or SD card, does it support other languages? For example Japanese or Chinese characters? Meaning on the MMI screen will it display other languages? I know on my friend's 911, they show up blank, only displays english.
If your car is a NA based car, Chinese & Japanese characters (and some Euro characters) will not display properly.

2. For the SD card option will it support m4a files which are native itunes files? or do i need to convert them to mp3?
It will support m4a files.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by tofuking

Thanks in advance!
1. I can't speak to double-byte characters (like chinese and japanese) but I do know that all the unique german characters show up just fine. I have some Japanese songs, but I've never actually played them, so I don't know for sure. I'm out of town or I'd go check for you.

2. SD cards and the built in hard drive will play unprotected m4a files - so basically anything purchased through iTunes this year since they removed the DRM goo. If you have protected files (like I do) then you are going to either have to burn CDs and rip to MP3 or you will have to purchase the unprotected songs from apple (at 30 cents a pop).

WatchNut: I have found that creating and using playlists via iTunes and an iPod is much easier than doing that on SD cards. Also (as was noted earlier) - if you select "Mix" on an SD card, it mixes the entire contents of the card (not just the playlist/folder) you are in. With the iPod - it will only mix the playlist or category you are listening to (much preferred for me).

If you simply like to find an album and play it straight through, then the SD solution is fine.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any clue if videos off the iPod would work?
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 180Custom
Any clue if videos off the iPod would work?
they do not. only DVD movies work in the DVD player.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
they do not. only DVD movies work in the DVD player for NAV equipped cars.
Clarification there.