MTM Cantronic system - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTM Cantronic system

Reply

 
 
Old 05-20-2010, 01:11 PM
  #1
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 45
Default MTM Cantronic system

Has anyone installed the MTM Cantronic system on their B8 S4 yet? Any thoughts on it, warranty implications, etc.?
TheWanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM
  #2
Audiworld Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 82
Default

I haven't but there are people on here who have... MTM is a very reputable company. They actually are the official tuners of Audi in Germany. The 430 they claim is very impressive. Especially because it's with only a chip ie no pullies etc... the only thing is the price!! It's well over 3k for a chip!! Another thing is the warrantee... anything that goes wrong in the car that can be pinned on the CPU (which is quite a few things) will void the warrantee on that particular issue. There are other companies coming out (stasis in particular) with software that they claim gives a more tame 410 hp (with exhaust) but does come with a warrantee. Thats a huge factor In my opinion. Up to you but if you have some patience I'd wait for a chip that is covered should something go wrong. Plus the Stasis chip is like 2k less that MTM... So 2k less for 20 hp?? and its 370lb/ft torque as well vs. MTM claim of 380 (so 2k for 20 hp and 10lbs/ft torque.... i think its worth waiting... unless your lack of patience is worth 2k plus warrantee implications..
dubes12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:05 PM
  #3
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by dubes12 View Post
I haven't but there are people on here who have... MTM is a very reputable company. They actually are the official tuners of Audi in Germany. The 430 they claim is very impressive. Especially because it's with only a chip ie no pullies etc... the only thing is the price!! It's well over 3k for a chip!! Another thing is the warrantee... anything that goes wrong in the car that can be pinned on the CPU (which is quite a few things) will void the warrantee on that particular issue. There are other companies coming out (stasis in particular) with software that they claim gives a more tame 410 hp (with exhaust) but does come with a warrantee. Thats a huge factor In my opinion. Up to you but if you have some patience I'd wait for a chip that is covered should something go wrong. Plus the Stasis chip is like 2k less that MTM... So 2k less for 20 hp?? and its 370lb/ft torque as well vs. MTM claim of 380 (so 2k for 20 hp and 10lbs/ft torque.... i think its worth waiting... unless your lack of patience is worth 2k plus warrantee implications..

Thanks for your thoughts. The piggy-back design does seem like a bit of a kluge, but on the other hand as you note they are the "official" tuner for Audi in Europe, whatever that really means.

I'm not in a hurry, I don't even have an S4 yet :-) By the time I get one, hopefully this fall, the Stasis tune and others in theory would be available. I'm mostly trying to learn what all the options are at this point. I don't want to make modifications that present excessive risk to the car, but I do want more power :-)
TheWanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM
  #4
AudiWorld Member
 
jrem1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by dubes12 View Post
I haven't but there are people on here who have... MTM is a very reputable company. They actually are the official tuners of Audi in Germany. The 430 they claim is very impressive. Especially because it's with only a chip ie no pullies etc... the only thing is the price!! It's well over 3k for a chip!! Another thing is the warrantee... anything that goes wrong in the car that can be pinned on the CPU (which is quite a few things) will void the warrantee on that particular issue. There are other companies coming out (stasis in particular) with software that they claim gives a more tame 410 hp (with exhaust) but does come with a warrantee. Thats a huge factor In my opinion. Up to you but if you have some patience I'd wait for a chip that is covered should something go wrong. Plus the Stasis chip is like 2k less that MTM... So 2k less for 20 hp?? and its 370lb/ft torque as well vs. MTM claim of 380 (so 2k for 20 hp and 10lbs/ft torque.... i think its worth waiting... unless your lack of patience is worth 2k plus warrantee implications..
and also stasis is planning a pulley upgrade as well to combine with the ecu and exhaust. the combo of these 3 will beat the mtm power levels with a few bills left over from that 2 grand figure to stick back in your pocket. and the warrantee issues are not a problem with this setup also. it seems to me that as soon as this setup reaches the market it should be the more interesting and safest setup to have
jrem1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:28 PM
  #5
AudiWorld Super User
 
NWS4Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,366
Default

Originally Posted by jrem1969 View Post
and also stasis is planning a pulley upgrade as well to combine with the ecu and exhaust. the combo of these 3 will beat the mtm power levels with a few bills left over from that 2 grand figure to stick back in your pocket. and the warrantee issues are not a problem with this setup also. it seems to me that as soon as this setup reaches the market it should be the more interesting and safest setup to have
The pulley is a huge assumption. After several aftermarket shops Looked at the stock pulley, they said it cannot get much smaller as it is now (if at all). Since the % difference in size change is what gains power, not just reducing the size, there stands to be better gains with an ECU reflash to leverage the ~30-40% of boost which is being recirculated via the bypass valve internal to the existing SC rather than put into the engine. They have said only a "Supercharger upgrade" which could also very easily mean a different SC, since this is an Eaton TVS with great packaging, they could likely swap to the next size larger displacement DC and get it to fit in the same location with very little changes.

*** edit - Wanderer stated what they have on their site, it does reference a SC upgrade, but not specifics as I pointed out.

Last edited by NWS4Guy; 05-20-2010 at 03:36 PM.
NWS4Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:32 PM
  #6
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by jrem1969 View Post
and also stasis is planning a pulley upgrade as well to combine with the ecu and exhaust. the combo of these 3 will beat the mtm power levels with a few bills left over from that 2 grand figure to stick back in your pocket. and the warrantee issues are not a problem with this setup also. it seems to me that as soon as this setup reaches the market it should be the more interesting and safest setup to have
huh.. really! that's interesting. the only hint of that on their site is on the landing page for the touring and challenge packages, the sayd "Engine - ECU software" for the touring package, and "Engine - high performance supercharger upgrade" for the challenge package.

I emailed them to see if they'll comment further. Did you hear that from someone at the company? Any more details you know of?
TheWanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:12 PM
  #7
AudiWorld Member
 
jrem1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
huh.. really! that's interesting. the only hint of that on their site is on the landing page for the touring and challenge packages, the sayd "Engine - ECU software" for the touring package, and "Engine - high performance supercharger upgrade" for the challenge package.

I emailed them to see if they'll comment further. Did you hear that from someone at the company? Any more details you know of?
i have been told by jeff at stasis that heavy duty work on the pulley upgrade will begin as soon as the ecu programing and final tuning is finished so one can compliment the other. and i am being told the ecu upgrade is to be on the market very very soon (which i hope so because i am taking delivery of my car at the end of the month and i am purchasing the ecu,exhaust, and touring suspension to be done at time of delivery - or so i hope)
jrem1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:18 PM
  #8
Audiworld Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle area
Posts: 45
Default

Originally Posted by jrem1969 View Post
i have been told by jeff at stasis that heavy duty work on the pulley upgrade will begin as soon as the ecu programing and final tuning is finished so one can compliment the other. and i am being told the ecu upgrade is to be on the market very very soon (which i hope so because i am taking delivery of my car at the end of the month and i am purchasing the ecu,exhaust, and touring suspension to be done at time of delivery - or so i hope)
Sweet! That's exactly what I hope to do, but mine would be later this year. Did he give a sense of what they think the output might be with the pulley upgrade as well? Ballpark?
TheWanderer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 PM
  #9
AudiWorld Super User
 
NWS4Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,366
Default

Originally Posted by jrem1969 View Post
i have been told by jeff at stasis that heavy duty work on the pulley upgrade will begin as soon as the ecu programing and final tuning is finished so one can compliment the other. and i am being told the ecu upgrade is to be on the market very very soon (which i hope so because i am taking delivery of my car at the end of the month and i am purchasing the ecu,exhaust, and touring suspension to be done at time of delivery - or so i hope)
Good news then, perhaps they have a way to change the crank pulley larger rather than the SC pulley smaller? The problem here is that you will likely need a different ECU tune once you change the pulley, since this will alter boost peaks. I'll be interested to see what they have and offer. The Stasis page says "Spring 2010" so they have exactly a month from today till it's Summer to meet the deadline
NWS4Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:32 PM
  #10
AudiWorld Member
 
jrem1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 117
Default

Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
Sweet! That's exactly what I hope to do, but mine would be later this year. Did he give a sense of what they think the output might be with the pulley upgrade as well? Ballpark?
i dont claim to have any secret inside info, i just call the companies , express an interest in thier product and ask lotsa questions. ( so i am probably kind of annoying to them, lol!) i assume any info i am told is what they would tell everybody. the reason i have chose thier products is that my dealer (byers in columbus ohio - great people, sales and service) is a stasis dealer, i wanted more performance without to many warrenty issues, and stasis is located just a couple of hours from me at summit point raceway in wv. hopefully all of the products i get from them work awesome and i love everything i get but it thats a future topic for when i get my car and everything is on and ready to roll
jrem1969 is offline  
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ECS Tuning-Audi
A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
17
08-08-2017 04:38 AM
clancy
A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion
6
09-23-2015 03:07 PM
ECS Tuning-Audi
A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion
0
09-01-2015 09:16 AM
ECS Tuning-Audi
Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8)
0
09-01-2015 08:27 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:53 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: