S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My car is finally here! Glacier white red magma interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am loving the car so much... except two things that I would like to know whether people have the same experience for

(1) My gas mileage is terrible lol. I just filled my first tank last night and my average is around 13 miles per gallon. When I was driving slowly in a garage, the "real time" mileage is about 6 or 7. Should I expect this to improve later? Or it's expected to be this bad since my daily commute has a lot of local driving?

(2) I can never get comfortable in the seats, great looking as they are. The padding seem to be not thick enough, but firm at the same time... (I myself should be partially blamed because I am 200+ pounds now). Anyone feels the same / has remedy for it?
Old 03-23-2012, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Some more shots of the seats and one shot in Seattle =)

Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas mileage

(1) My gas mileage is terrible lol. I just filled my first tank last night and my average is around 13 miles per gallon. When I was driving slowly in a garage, the "real time" mileage is about 6 or 7. Should I expect this to improve later? Or it's expected to be this bad since my daily commute has a lot of local driving?

Gas mileage in these cars is not as good as the EPA ratings would lead us to believe and hope for. It is however very competitive with other cars of similar weight and power and remember we have four driven wheels which consumes a bit more fuel. My own experiences indicate any amount of hard acceleration or city driving or driving above 80mph will drive your mileage down, quickly. When I nurse it and drive easy without going over 70mph I can get up to an average of 25. My best ever on a long trip for a full tank is 27.8mpg. My 7000 mile net average is 23.2mpg for a 2011 6-speed. I drive very conservatively: anticipating red lights/stop signs and coasting to a stop in gear, which shuts off fuel flow while your are decelerating, no warm ups, limited hard accelerations, top gear as often as possible.... I bet most others won't be able to average >23mpg (with manual tranny). It takes dedication.

By the way, most likely your trip computer will show mpg very favorable (to Audi). Mine was 8% too high (almost 2mpg) and I had to get the computer adjusted 8% downwards for accurate readings. Don't even talk to us about what your trip computer says - its too inaccurate. Best bet is to calculate each tank the old-fashioned way - manually, then we have something worth discussing. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have driven about 400 miles so far (with majority of highway driving distance-wise), the average mileage has got to 16+.

Not too bad . I was a bit heavy on gas a couple of times because the power was so addictive lol.

Originally Posted by BlackMagicVariant
By the way, most likely your trip computer will show mpg very favorable (to Audi). Mine was 8% too high (almost 2mpg) and I had to get the computer adjusted 8% downwards for accurate readings. Don't even talk to us about what your trip computer says - its too inaccurate. Best bet is to calculate each tank the old-fashioned way - manually, then we have something worth discussing. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mileage has gotten better for me (around 5k miles), but then that's not why we buy these cars is it?
also, our Q7 with the 30T saw mileage improvements after 6k or so too. Don't go easy on the break-in.
Hope to see your car in person sometime. Glacier was my first choice but not easy to find last fall...love your car!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by KevinHee
Thanks! The rear seats are black / red mix as well.

I guess you will see the car tmr anyway but I will try upload some more pics tonight.
Thanks for the new pics! Seats are HOT! Oh I forgot to mention I picked up a S5 and not a S4 lol. I guess thats why I didn't see that red/black combination as an option ha!