S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

My Stasis V1 vs V2 logs(With Revo 91 Chaser)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, misfires happen I have had a few... Not several hundred in a single pass...
Old 08-27-2012, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very few people who tune their cars are "enthusiasts" who would chase in-depth knowledge like primetime. We only have a handful of people who call it as is and are well respected as a result. This is why there isn't much info. Most people think they are tuned and are happy just with that fact rather than diving down and seeing what the data shows (lol like the MTM piggy back supporters).

Most people who have their cars tuned don't even bother with logs and testing. I dare say primetime, tsivas27, and ilspazzaneve has seen more logs than most people care to. I have personally worked with them and shared logs/data to better understand our cars.

And on the other hand, you get the people who are all talk with very little to back it up. Funny stuff like the ASP stg II tune that very little has been released (no logs or even dyno plots).
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by primetime
Yes, misfires happen I have had a few... Not several hundred in a single pass...
True, frequency would be important for this!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
I think it may be worth posting that I've detected misfires numerous times on my stock S4. Others have posted that it is likely the fuel I'm using. I started using 91 for a short time last summer when I got it but then went to 93. Most of the time I get Sunoco from one of two stations. I may switch to Shell or something else and run some more scans. My point is that misfires can and do occur on non-tuned cars too, so it may be helpful to know this for a baseline.
QFT. As many followers of AZ may know, my car went into limp mode over the winter as a result of numerous cylinder misfires. Dealer had the car for a month in diagnosing the problem. They wound up replacing all of my fuel injectors. Since then, no issues.

I definitely think this is an OEM problem that is relatively widespread among B8 owners.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Little off-topic: anyone know why Auditude switched from REVO to GIAC? Wasn't he the first one to get the REVO tune? Not sure if he posts on here . . .
Old 08-27-2012, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by clochner
Little off-topic: anyone know why Auditude switched from REVO to GIAC? Wasn't he the first one to get the REVO tune? Not sure if he posts on here . . .
I believe his dad's car is the REVO. He then ended up getting his own S4 and decided to try out GIAC. That is as far as I'm going to read into it because I don't know any more details and don't want to imply anything inadvertently.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ynnekdude
I believe his dad's car is the REVO. He then ended up getting his own S4 and decided to try out GIAC. That is as far as I'm going to read into it because I don't know any more details and don't want to imply anything inadvertently.
Ahh, gotcha. Thnx. Wonder why he didn't go REVO . . .
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clochner
QFT. As many followers of AZ may know, my car went into limp mode over the winter as a result of numerous cylinder misfires. Dealer had the car for a month in diagnosing the problem. They wound up replacing all of my fuel injectors. Since then, no issues.

I definitely think this is an OEM problem that is relatively widespread among B8 owners.
Maybe it isn't fuel based then, or some just have no misfires (yet?). I've posted before that both my Passats went through ignition coil failures and recalls. At least I have the Ross Tech cable though and can monitor it occasionally and hopefully catch it early if it starts getting worse but hasn't thrown a CEL yet.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
Maybe it isn't fuel based then, or some just have no misfires (yet?). I've posted before that both my Passats went through ignition coil failures and recalls. At least I have the Ross Tech cable though and can monitor it occasionally and hopefully catch it early if it starts getting worse but hasn't thrown a CEL yet.
I doubt it's fuel-based. My car has seen nothing but Shell V-Power since day one. Something else is going on here.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

funny funny stuff here.

Yeah don't worry, I think a few of us remember Big Turbo TT from the DSG thread. Nuff said.

Anyhow, not everyone advertises their blown motors, for various reasons, but there are a few out there, you don't hear about because they aren't whining about it on the forums. 40 degrees advance at 7000 RPM in hot conditions with reduced knock sensitivity will blow up a 3.0T, on race gas. I am not naming names.

DI injectors, being right there in the chamber, can be the first to show damage from crappy combustion conditions...they may leak and/or not atomize properly, causing worse and worse misfires, and possibly, eventually the 'big' knock that holes or ovals the piston and/or cylinder, or breaks the rod.

Now this one takes the cake.

Originally Posted by Big turbo TT
With all due respect,I know PRIMETIME is a "APR guy" and is happy with their products but take his comment on scary timing with a grain of salt.
Sure his opinion is it is "scary",whatever that means,however APR has always been a conservative tuner and made less power than the competitors.
Anyone can "look at logs" and "log" with VBCDS and be a "armnchair tuner",however many have never actually mapped a engine ECU in their life,whether programming factory EFI or stand alone EFI.
Having personally mapped stand alone EFI and made over 500bhp out of 2.0l,I can say that yes,40deg. is a lot of timing,however FI cars on these high compression ratios is also a lot different than cars of past.
Since these cars ar DI=DIRECT INJECTION,you can start ignition timing early,yet since there is no fuel in the combustion chamber much before TDC,there is nothing to combust,therefore no detonation/pre-ignition,since injection is timed at right before TDC,so maybe REVO has figured out a way to time these events strategically and make more power than APR and that is what people want right? More power for your money,especially since REVO stage 1 is the most powerful out there and if "timing was so scary and popping motors left and right" there would be a ARMY of APR fanboys (their hardcore allegiance is odd??) squaking about it!
Are you kidding me? Read what you wrote. You are saying you can spark the ignition before the fuel is injected, then inject the fuel afterwards? And this non-diesel engine will work? WTF are you talking about?

Quick Reply: My Stasis V1 vs V2 logs(With Revo 91 Chaser)