S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Need help! 2013 S4 vs. 2015 S4

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! 2013 S4 vs. 2015 S4

Hi Guys - new to this forum and live around the Denver area.

I just traded in my 2016 SQ5 so my wife could upgrade to a 2018 Allroad and I'm looking for a B8.5 S4. I've got one at my local dealer that is a 2013 and has 64k miles on it. It has a few mods already done to it - APR stage II tune, ECS intake, Stasis exhaust and wheels, some suspension work, and some minor other things. I'm waiting on the list of all the mods, when they were done, by who and how many miles the car has been driven with the tune and other mods. The price point is great (under $30k) which is very desirable. It's also the ONLY B8.5 S4 with a rear sports diff that I can find.

I'm also waiting on a car from carmax that is being shipped here from the east coast. It's a 2015 S4 with 29k miles for $39k. No mods, one prior owner and it was a lease. It's had 3 winters on the east coast and I'm worried about any damage that could have been done during those seasons but the mileage is extremely desirable.

My questions are: What do I need to worry about with the 2013 in regards to the mechanics and all the work that's already been done to it. Also, how concerned should I be with 64k miles already on it. From what I've seen with audi's is that if it's going to break or fail on the car, it most likely will before the 64k mile mark.

OR should I not even waste my time looking at the 2013 and just go with the 2015 or a car similar to age and amount of miles (29k).

I'm skeptical of the 2013 for all the obvious reasons but I took her for a test drive about 2 hours ago and the thing drove and performed great. There were no issues that I found while I was driving in it and it was a blast to drive. It's got all the mods done to it that I would do and, most of all, it's got the rear sports diff.

Looking for any and all recommendations / advice...thank you!!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would wait to buy a newer model with less mileage . Not that there have been many problems with higher mileage cars. Mine has 78k miles on it and running well. We have seen a few posts on the B8 s4 forums saying they cannot find cars with sport difs. The problem is that many times the sport dif is not listed in the description of the cars. Also the dealers and Sales associates that have the cars don't know if the cars have sports difs or not. My advice is to buy the newest car with the least mileage and options you want in a color combination that you like. Maybe not your first choice in color combo, but one that you like or can live with. They are mostly silver, black and white anyway. Be prepared to travel some distance if you find one you like.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply and thanks for passing this info along, I appreciate it. Still unsure what I'm going to do at this point but CO dealers are closed on Sunday's so it gives me another day to find car. I probably should have stated this in my original post but the goal is to have this car for about two years then upgrade into an RS3. I can't pull the trigger now on one otherwise I would. I just need the car I pick up now to get me through the next 2 years tops and if I can get something that I'll thoroughly enjoy every time I'm in the car, I'll be happy.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MB_16SQ5

I just traded in my 2016 SQ5 so my wife could upgrade to a 2018 Allroad and I'm looking for a B8.5 S4. I've got one at my local dealer that is a 2013 and has 64k miles on it. It has a few mods already done to it - APR stage II tune, ECS intake, Stasis exhaust and wheels, some suspension work, and some minor other things. I'm waiting on the list of all the mods, when they were done, by who and how many miles the car has been driven with the tune and other mods. The price point is great (under $30k) which is very desirable. It's also the ONLY B8.5 S4 with a rear sports diff that I can find.

I'm also waiting on a car from carmax that is being shipped here from the east coast. It's a 2015 S4 with 29k miles for $39k. No mods, one prior owner and it was a lease. It's had 3 winters on the east coast and I'm worried about any damage that could have been done during those seasons but the mileage is extremely desirable.

My questions are: What do I need to worry about with the 2013 in regards to the mechanics and all the work that's already been done to it. Also, how concerned should I be with 64k miles already on it. From what I've seen with audi's is that if it's going to break or fail on the car, it most likely will before the 64k mile mark.

OR should I not even waste my time looking at the 2013 and just go with the 2015 or a car similar to age and amount of miles (29k).

I'm skeptical of the 2013 for all the obvious reasons but I took her for a test drive about 2 hours ago and the thing drove and performed great. There were no issues that I found while I was driving in it and it was a blast to drive. It's got all the mods done to it that I would do and, most of all, it's got the rear sports diff.

I would check the launch counter to see if the car was flogged on.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I agree with earlier comments--wait and buy the lower mile/newer car. Then again, you are right that three winters on the East Coast might have been tough on the 2015. What size wheels? I'd be worried about scraped up or bent wheels if running the 19 peelers.

On a side note--I am curious about your impressions driving the three cars you mentioned. I've got a '15 S4 and my lease is up in a couple of months. Trying to decide if I keep the car or do something different. With my wife already driving a 3.0 Q5, an SQ5 is not of interest. I owned one of the original Allroads back in the day and also enjoyed that car as it fit my lifestyle well. (I do a fair amount of mountain biking, trips to the mountains, outdoors kind of stuff--Allroad was great for this. I keep an old MDX around for that now as my S4 isn't up to those tasks, not to mention I'm too particular about taking care of it--only 14.9k on the odometer.)

So, I'm contemplating a new Allroad, but am just afraid it will feel very sluggish and be a complete let down to drive coming off the S4. (No, I haven't gone to drive one yet so maybe I'm way off here)--Whats your thought on how the Allroad drives relative to the S4 and SQ5?

thanks

Originally Posted by MB_16SQ5

Old 08-28-2017, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The Allroad is much different than the S4 you are currently driving - however, I didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. It's got a little lag but doesn't feel too sluggish and when in Sport mode, it can move. Ride quality is great, gets better at higher speeds and with the multiple drive select options, there's a comfort level for most everyone. So far my wife loves it and I do not regret getting rid of my SQ5 for this (at least right now). The new technology is the best I've seen from audi - in the last 4.5 years I've had a 2011 S5, 2016 SQ5, 2013 S4, and this Allroad. The new tech audi has implemented has been seamless except for the search function wasn't working at first and I had to take it back in. Apparently on some of the new 2018 models, audi accidentally sent cars over to the US that had European technology that causes a lot of the tech functions to not work. The dealer just needed to run a quick diagnostic and it was fixed (annoying, yes, but not the worst thing). Bluetooth is extremely quick to pair (that was, and still is, one of my biggest pet peeves with the older MMI) and searching, calling, switching between platforms has been much easier and does not freeze up.

The Allroad will be our adventure / road trip / every day car and I think it will do it's job great. I'm even more excited to see how this thing performs in the snow, I can tell already she'll be a tank.

If you are looking for a fun daily driver like me, this car won't really do it for you (that's why it's staying with the wife lol) but if you are looking for a do it all, day tripper, weekend warrior than this is the car/wagon.

Hopefully that answers your question!
Old 08-29-2017, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its too bad that Audi puts the 2.0t engine in almost everything from a A3 and TT to and A6 and everything in between. Its ok for the non enthusiast. It would interesting to have an Allroad S. I believe it would sell.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Its too bad that Audi puts the 2.0t engine in almost everything from a A3 and TT to and A6 and everything in between. Its ok for the non enthusiast. It would interesting to have an Allroad S. I believe it would sell.
Or simply bring back the S4 Avant--would be first in line for one or both of those options, along with lots of other folks here I am sure.

Thanks for your response MB16_SQ5. Sort of what I figured, although it is nice to hear you feel the Allroad has some get up and go. Still thinking I'd miss the 'fun' factor of the 3.0 engine, it puts a smile on my face most every morning on the way to the office!
Old 08-29-2017, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm with the others here that the lower mileage '15 S4 is likely a better 2-year bridge car to the RS3 than is the higher mileage, highly modified '13 S4. Of course, test driving both, when you get a chance, may change that analysis. You can always through your own mods on the '15 if desired, and not have to live with someone else's choices (which, admittedly, you likely would pay a highly discounted price for relative to your own mods on the '15).
I can't speak to the relative reliability of the '15 vs the '13 S4 but, working in Denver and living in the foothills west of Denver, its hard to imagine a better all around car than the S4 (other than the non-existent S4 avant). I have a '15 S4 6MT, with APR Stage 1, AWE touring exhaust, AWE intake, OZ wheels and a bunch of aftermarket suspension bits, and think it an ideal car for these parts. Its plenty quick, handles rather well for its bulk, and serves me well as my primary ski car. I also have an '11 S4 6MT, which is more aggressively modified, but strongly prefer the '15, in large part because the clutch in the '15 feels much better than in the '11 (both are stock).
I like your thinking about the RS3; I ordered one and its supposed to be here in late Sept to early Oct time frame (just in time to have to throw some snows on it). My dilemma now is which car to sell to make room for the RS3.