S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Needed more HP & torque; F250 > S4

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Needed more HP & torque; F250 > S4

With only slight regret, I trade in my S4 tomorrow to help my wife get an F250 XLT diesel supercab long bed. Her Jeep was not a worthy trade-in as it is worth about what is owed which only would have helped offest sales tax. The S4 had 'equity' in it thanks to a trade in on it back in 2011, so using the S4 against the truck nearly eliminated the sales tax and drop the purchase price. A couple of Ford incentives expiring this year and the X plan helped complete the deal. She needs to haul horses, four at a time sometimes, so a gasoline truck wasn't gonna work. Our current situation likely could have handled the truck and the S4, but other goals like long term planning and even short term stuff like vacations would have been compromised. So, I trade in the S4 tomorrow with a smile after enjoying my favorite car to date and help my wife work to grow her business and focus on the future.

Speaking of 'focus', I am eyeing up Focus STs to replace the Jeep as a daily driver for me. It's no VW/Audi, but with 250 HP, decent interior for its price, and some good reviews and a local dealership for service, the ST seems like a good enough choice for the next couple years at least. The GTI doesn't seem to compare. The interior is familar, but overall the car seems a bit dated to me, and I'm confident that Sirius radio will suck in it as it did in my Passat and the S4 for my area. And plaid seats? Ugh. The ST3 has full leather Recaros at least. The ST3 is a smaller car for sure but getting one without a moonroof will help my tall frame and it should be fun enough for awhile. Who knows? Maybe I'll try tracking a car for the first time--it would be a good car to start with I think.

What will I miss from the S4? Instant power. This was the fastest and most powerful car I've had to date. By a good margin. I came from the V6 4Motion Passat which was decent but wow what a performance boost and a much better tranny in the S4. The interior was well done also, though the light switch **** plastic started to separate and sliced me open one day. Should have glued that, oh well.

What won't I miss? The constant desire to mod! I dreamed of a tune and exhaust often! Handling mods like alu kruez were in mind also along with wheels (will need wheels for the ST anyway as I don't love the stockers--ok for winter I guess, and at least my winter S4s in the garage will fit the ST). I mostly won't miss the attention either. I don't really need my ego stroked, but it was hilarious how much attention the S4 got. My wife constantly pointed it out as pedestrians, bicyclists, and other drivers turned heads everywhere. I do the same thing with other Audis I see!

Take care all. I learned a lot about the B8, Audi in general, and how to take better care of a car. This was the first car I clay barred and it came out great! I'll be watching for the B9 with great anticpation and will smile when I see Audis go by, more so for the S4s. Thanks for the input and adice along the way. I expect to view the forum still over time though contributions will die out as I lose touch a bit.

FWIW, 'zulujams' was a term I made up years ago that has nothing to do with cars. I am a big fan of a local jamband named Foxtrot Zulu which led to the user name elsewhere. Maybe I should have chosen some kind of car themed user name, but this user name has stuck with me. Cheers.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck zulujams! You won't have to vag com us in strange parking lots anymore.

Here is to seeing you back in the Audi circles soon
Old 11-15-2012, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B8_s4
Good luck zulujams! You won't have to vag com us in strange parking lots anymore.

Here is to seeing you back in the Audi circles soon
Lol, I didn't list that on my pro (vs con) list! I'll miss the customability for sure and meeting other owners. I turned the parking lights back on last night but left all other changes like oil temp, battery meter, gear display, VIM, etc etc on. Maybe the next owner will enjoy them, or maybe they'll get overwritten by a dealer.

On a side note, I rode the bike today to try some separation, but I will have to drive the car to the dealer later. I'll be really bummed on Sunday after driving a rental most of the day for work and not sliding behind the wheel of the S4 after
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How about a Golf R? 2012 leftovers can be had at or below invoice with 0% financing. 2013's are also available with low interest rates and decent discounts. AWD, turbo and almost Audi like interior! I looked at a Focus ST last week and they are pretty cool but loaded came to around $30K. I know the GTI is looking old and under-powered but in my opinion it is more refined looking than Focus ST. MKVII GTI is right around the corner as well as new A3! Good luck in your decision. I'm sure we will see you back in the future!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

+1 on a golf R
Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into Golf Rs over time but haven't seen one in person. MSRP is around $36K though. Invoice would be in the low 30s I'd guess. I'm sure the VW dealer I bought my two Passats from would do what they could for me, but I'm trying to keep the costs down as low as possible for the next couple years (or more if needed). I can get a fully loaded ST minus the sunroof so I can fit in it more comfortably for around $27,500 with X plan. I know that isn't really that far from a 30ish price, but the loaded ST is already over the target of 25K.

I'll definitely run some more numbers as the price per month doesn't change too much for a couple grand here or there. I've had my fun for a little while, though, and now the wife needed the upgrade. We're about to finish a home refi hopefully to get in the 3s, and then we'll focus on getting something comfortable and affordable for me for awhile as we revamp finances in general.

As for her new ride, what a truck! 2012 F250 XLT SuperCab Diesel Long Bed! Drove it to work today--quiet, smooth, plenty of power. This will help her business grow, and having a truck around as a homeowner can come in handy. Let's see where the car shopping ends up...thanks again.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why not get a Volkswagen TDI model?

The Golf TDI 4-door starts at $20K.

This way you have two diesel cars and can share fuel from the Zombie stored jerry cans. :-)
Old 11-16-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lol, always have to be ready for the zombies. I should install a full house propane generator and just pay down the Jeep. Seriously. I have a private well which isn't very useful without power.

Looks like the TDI Golfs are stickered at $25K or so, but there is room to drop the price. Will review a bit more, but the ST still calls. A Ford dealership is close by for service and any issues while VW is a few towns away. VW doesn't provide loaners for the first 24 hours and it isn't convenient to drop the car off and get a ride back (I know, buy an Audi, problem solved). If I do leave the German cars it won't be forever I'm sure. Thanks for the input--all is welcome!
Old 11-16-2012, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry to hear about having to sell your S4 zulujams. Good luck with finding a replacement.

If you're considering VW, ever considered a used VW Phaeton with the W12 engine? 444 HP, intended to compete with the Mercedes S-class. A V8 version is also available. I think the original MSRP was around $90K and used ones can be had in the $20's. It was a top used car value on a recent episode of 5th Gear.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by EF99
Sorry to hear about having to sell your S4 zulujams. Good luck with finding a replacement.

If you're considering VW, ever considered a used VW Phaeton with the W12 engine? 444 HP, intended to compete with the Mercedes S-class. A V8 version is also available. I think the original MSRP was around $90K and used ones can be had in the $20's. It was a top used car value on a recent episode of 5th Gear.
Thanks! I'll miss the Ross Tech customization and monitoring possibilities, oh and the S4 itself. We're loving the new truck though! Well worth it and I'll be driving it here and there for sure.

I've got a Charger rental in the driveway at the moment for a work trip. I've rented Avengers in the past and was not comfortable or impressed. So far the newer Charger design is comfortable and has some power to it even at the V6 level. Not my dream car, but it isn't about me at the moment, and I did love Mopars growing up. 300 mi in the rental should tell me something. All I've decided so far is that buying anything new under $25K won't be much fun. Shocker eh?

Quick Reply: Needed more HP & torque; F250 > S4