S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New brakes under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default New brakes under warranty

I started noticing minor brake pulsation about a month ago and got a chance to get it to the dealer today. I am very generally very easy with brakes and don't tend to chew through pads. Anyway, at only 15k km the dealer has new pads and rotors for all four corners on order.

The work order states that the technician took brake measurements (I assume to check rotor thickness and pad wear to determine that it wasn't normal wear) and followed the troubleshooting tree to determine that everything needed to be replaced. What is Audi's warranty on brakes? I did a quick search and it doesn't appear that any other forum member has had their brakes replaced, so it will be interesting to see if this becomes common.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NABS4
I started noticing minor brake pulsation about a month ago and got a chance to get it to the dealer today. I am very generally very easy with brakes and don't tend to chew through pads. Anyway, at only 15k km the dealer has new pads and rotors for all four corners on order.

The work order states that the technician took brake measurements (I assume to check rotor thickness and pad wear to determine that it wasn't normal wear) and followed the troubleshooting tree to determine that everything needed to be replaced. What is Audi's warranty on brakes? I did a quick search and it doesn't appear that any other forum member has had their brakes replaced, so it will be interesting to see if this becomes common.
At 15k km unless you were tracking the car it would be really, really hard to burn through that much over that little mileage. I'd fight them if they try to stick you with the bill.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiosity...did you have any work done to your wheels about a month ago where the wheels might have been removed for any reason? Rotation? New Tires? Balance?

I have found that 99% of the time dealers or tire stores do not torque the lug nuts and this typically leads to warped rotors. Buy a torque wrench and always double check any work done to your wheels to makes sure the lug nuts are consistently tightened.

I would say that a vehicle like the S4 designed to perform on the autobahn should not be suffering from your problems at 15,000 miles of easy use. My guess is the technician will either find a issue with the brake system from the factory or the lug nuts were not tightened to the correct torque which typically leads to warped rotors.

Please keep us updated on the outcome OK. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine are at 39,000 and feel like day one. My GTI brakes are original at 168,000 km and counting. I would think this should be a warranty covered item. Keep us posted.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by seinsmeld13
Mine are at 39,000 and feel like day one. My GTI brakes are original at 168,000 km and counting. I would think this should be a warranty covered item. Keep us posted.
168,000 an counting? You must be driving the GTI like a grandpa! Haven't been able to get even 100,000km on any pads ever.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by redrocker55
Just out of curiosity...did you have any work done to your wheels about a month ago where the wheels might have been removed for any reason? Rotation? New Tires? Balance?

I have found that 99% of the time dealers or tire stores do not torque the lug nuts and this typically leads to warped rotors. Buy a torque wrench and always double check any work done to your wheels to makes sure the lug nuts are consistently tightened.

I would say that a vehicle like the S4 designed to perform on the autobahn should not be suffering from your problems at 15,000 miles of easy use. My guess is the technician will either find a issue with the brake system from the factory or the lug nuts were not tightened to the correct torque which typically leads to warped rotors.

Please keep us updated on the outcome OK. Good luck.
I look after all my own maintenance, including switching btw winter and summer rubber. I use a torque wrench. This is being done under warranty. If it wasn't, I'd be doing it myself.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

15000 km---not miles----which is more to your point.......
Old 02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by riegerman
168,000 an counting? You must be driving the GTI like a grandpa! Haven't been able to get even 100,000km on any pads ever.
100% the opposite I go through a set of tires every year. I drive the DSG as a full manual therefore a lot of engine braking. I am an aggressive driver in fact my mother won't get inside a car if I am driving. My wife laughed when she read your comment. My drive to and from work is about 90% highway which helps to extend the brake life. My TT brakes were changed at 151,000 km.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I look after all my own maintenance, including switching btw winter and summer rubber. I use a torque wrench. This is being done under warranty. If it wasn't, I'd be doing it myself.
Sounds like you do most everything on your car just like me. I don't do brakes...but oil changes and rotating tires/switching out the winters/summers, etc.

15,000 miles sounds like a problem that should be covered under warranty.

I've been on this forum quite a while and I don't remember anyone mentioning warped rotors before... There have been a few comments around weak brakes when the car is being tracked.

Keep us posted on what the dealership finds out and what they did to take care of you.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Brakes used to be covered under warranty .... but not anymore (unless there is something wrong with the system)

I wonder if you can supply your own pads to get reduce the brake dust issue.

Quick Reply: New brakes under warranty