S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Newbie about to pull the trigger on an S4!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie about to pull the trigger on an S4!

Been a lurker for a while and read a bunch here and at the zine. Appreciate all the info that has been posted. Coming out of an 05 SLK 350 and also a BMW 535i that is coming off lease. Want to trade the SLK as it is now over 7 years old and the ride is a bit harsh as a daily driver. Drove a bunch of stuff. Was tempted by the luxury of a MB E550 (want an AWD vehicle) but the price was just more than I wanted to pay combined with a lousy trade allowance from the MB dealer). Drove an S4 (and an A6 and A7) and really liked the S4 and decided that I could use the extra cash savings (about $14k over the MB E550) and that the S4 would be more fun and that since my wife and I don't have kids, we really don't need all the room in the back. Anyway, this is what I am looking at and am looking for comments if this sounds like a good deal:

2012 new Phantom Black Pearl S4 prestige package with black interior with textured stainless inserts and trunk liner. MSRP is $58,720. Negotiated price is invoice at $54,700 less $1,0000 conquest cash for a total of $53,700. Will then trade in vehicle as dealer offered $16k on trade (not a clean car fax unfortunately--hit an animal and another minor ding not our fault) for a net of $37,700 plus doc fee of $599 and tax and such. Seem like a decent deal? I know the 2013s are around the corner, but not sure the changes are all that important and figured I could get a good deal now rather than wait.

Thanks for any thoughts. Will be a daily driver, but won't put a ton of miles on the car.

Also, probably will get tint as am in Atlanta and summer gets hot. Thinking about 30-40%. Dealer will do it for $250 with lifetime warranty. Also thinking about getting a radar detector/laser jammer and maybe Stasis tune but the latter not right away.

Thanks again for any comments/criticisms.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If car has ADS or sport dif it would sound decent to me. I, as well as others , would not advise buying an S4 without a sport dif. It cannot be added later and. IMHO, is THE option that makes the S4 special. Forget the Stasis tune. Giac , Revo and APR have much better tunes that improve performance to a level above what you get with the stasis tune.

Last edited by DrGP; 02-22-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, auto with sport dif? Would not buy without.

Was considering stasis due to warranty. Would be nervous to void warranty on a new vehicle. Do most wait till after warranty expires or is there great confidence Audi dealers will not detect the tune or?

Thanks for the response.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Luvwine
Been a lurker for a while and read a bunch here and at the zine. Appreciate all the info that has been posted. Coming out of an 05 SLK 350 and also a BMW 535i that is coming off lease. Want to trade the SLK as it is now over 7 years old and the ride is a bit harsh as a daily driver. Drove a bunch of stuff. Was tempted by the luxury of a MB E550 (want an AWD vehicle) but the price was just more than I wanted to pay combined with a lousy trade allowance from the MB dealer). Drove an S4 (and an A6 and A7) and really liked the S4 and decided that I could use the extra cash savings (about $14k over the MB E550) and that the S4 would be more fun and that since my wife and I don't have kids, we really don't need all the room in the back. Anyway, this is what I am looking at and am looking for comments if this sounds like a good deal:

2012 new Phantom Black Pearl S4 prestige package with black interior with textured stainless inserts and trunk liner. MSRP is $58,720. Negotiated price is invoice at $54,700 less $1,0000 conquest cash for a total of $53,700. Will then trade in vehicle as dealer offered $16k on trade (not a clean car fax unfortunately--hit an animal and another minor ding not our fault) for a net of $37,700 plus doc fee of $599 and tax and such. Seem like a decent deal? I know the 2013s are around the corner, but not sure the changes are all that important and figured I could get a good deal now rather than wait.

Thanks for any thoughts. Will be a daily driver, but won't put a ton of miles on the car.

Also, probably will get tint as am in Atlanta and summer gets hot. Thinking about 30-40%. Dealer will do it for $250 with lifetime warranty. Also thinking about getting a radar detector/laser jammer and maybe Stasis tune but the latter not right away.

Thanks again for any comments/criticisms.
That sounds like a great deal to me. Don't forget...som dealer claims that negotiated price doesn't include destination fee....which is $875 more. At least that what they tried to pull on me. Anyway, good luck.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv Wine
Yes, auto with sport dif? Would not buy without.

Was considering stasis due to warranty. Would be nervous to void warranty on a new vehicle. Do most wait till after warranty expires or is there great confidence Audi dealers will not detect the tune or?

Thanks for the response.
Most of the modders don't wait until the warranty is out. Have yet to have anyone report that dealers were being proactive in ferreting out those with ECU mods and voiding warranties. Can't say it hasn't happened or won't happen. I know BMW was very proactive in trying to find 335is with chips and voiding warranties.