S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

permanent ipod

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember seeing that too. It's not something you want an incompetent shop to try. The install was messy.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hah, I did the same thing and have a permanently dedicated Ipod Nano in the glovebox. I must say that I rarely use it and for the most part use the SD slots as I have two 32GB SDHCs for 64gb of storage, much more than my 8gb nano.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:03 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought an 64 GB iPod Touch for the glovebox music - I just leave it there most of the time. It works well with Apple Lossless formatted music (ripped with dBpoweramp).

I've been trying to find a "lossless" music format for the SD cards - but all the radio will read so far is MP3 - which is a "lossy" format I don't want. Has anyone found a lossless format that works? (I have the "No NAV" Symphony Radio rather than the 3G MMI.)
Old 02-11-2010, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
No, it will forget if the car is off more than 10-20 minutes, whether on Jukebox, AMI interface or SD cards.
That is extremely disappointing. I hope they get their act together and fix some of this stuff instead of waiting another two years for the next version of MMI to address the shortcomings.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

For a while I had a 16 gig ipod touch in the glovebox, but then it seemed kind of pointless to have a "touch" that would just sit in the glovebox all the time. So now I got a 160gig classic. Now I can fit all my songs too.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zillmc
Hah, I did the same thing and have a permanently dedicated Ipod Nano in the glovebox. I must say that I rarely use it and for the most part use the SD slots as I have two 32GB SDHCs for 64gb of storage, much more than my 8gb nano.
My car is not here yet -- I'm planning to buy a 16GB or 32GB SDHC car for it but I do have an 80GB iPod classic that I don't use anymore. I'm just wondering, what do you guys like better? SDHC or iPod? Any issues/cons with either choice?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has this happened to anyone else? It seems like the ipod will freeze and the MMI says that there's no ipod connected. I take the ipod out and it frozen (not literally). I have to hard restart the ipod and everything it a go after that. Just wondering if I’m the only one this is happening to?
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the advantages and disadvatges of using a SD card VS a second ipod. I have only an 8 GB ipod touch. But I really don't listen to much music in my car. I assume you can control both through MMI
Old 02-11-2010, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
What are the advantages and disadvatges of using a SD card VS a second ipod. I have only an 8 GB ipod touch. But I really don't listen to much music in my car. I assume you can control both through MMI
Supposedly from reports (I cannot confirm) the AMI iPod connector has a lower bit rate than what most music would be stored on the iPod in. SD will play at whatever bit rate the music was recorded to the SD in.

Yes, both can and are controlled through the MMI.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by canyoncarver
That is extremely disappointing. I hope they get their act together and fix some of this stuff instead of waiting another two years for the next version of MMI to address the shortcomings.
Agreed, and this is defintely a small software fix they could introduce with an MMI software patch/upgrade.

Quick Reply: permanent ipod