S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Phantom black better for resale?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CWGriswald
Trust me its true. I've had a 335xi with metallic black paint for the past 2 years and when I compare that to my friend's 2 year old 335i with Jet Black paint, I definitely notice a difference. There's a lot more swirl marks on the Jet Black car vs. mine.
were both cars washed equally each time?

It would be touch to make the judgement simply based on your comparison.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
I don't know about metallic black vs. solid black, but color choice does affect resale value. Certain colors like Imola Yellow or Sprint Blue are not as universally acceptable on the used market as safer colors like black, silver or white. I bet you an S4 in an oddball color will command a grand less in resale value or may take a lot longer to sell down the line. However, you should go with what you desire and not worry too much about resale right now (unless you paln to sell it in 2-3 years).
On the flip side, somebody looking for imola or sprint may pay a premium to have this color since it's harder to find. But I agree, if you're the seller of the car, it would be more tough. All in all, it all comes down to personal preference.

To bring the topic back on track. In the OP's case, two different blacks shouldn't matter.

Last edited by ShadowJet; 03-24-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i believe the swirlmarks are in the clearcoat, not the paint.

Regardless, you might get an extra $300 on your resale. Is this really worth the trouble of agonizing over the color you really want?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CWGriswald
Trust me its true. I've had a 335xi with metallic black paint for the past 2 years and when I compare that to my friend's 2 year old 335i with Jet Black paint, I definitely notice a difference. There's a lot more swirl marks on the Jet Black car vs. mine.
It is very much not true. Swirl marks have nothing to do with the thickness of the paint, or whether the paint has metallic flakes. Nor does metallic paint have anything to do with clearcoat thickness.

Last edited by Zed 2.0; 03-24-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IAS5
i believe the swirlmarks are in the clearcoat, not the paint.

Regardless, you might get an extra $300 on your resale. Is this really worth the trouble of agonizing over the color you really want?
Unlike other people, I'm not agonizing over color. In fact, I don't care that much -- as long as it's not in red or white -- which is why I'd rather get a color that has better resale value with all else being equal.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brisbane2
Unlike other people, I'm not agonizing over color. In fact, I don't care that much -- as long as it's not in red or white -- which is why I'd rather get a color that has better resale value with all else being equal.
And with the myriad other factors that will impact resale value (age, mileage, condition, repair/collision history, etc), the difference in resale value between Brilliant Black and Phantom Black will be negligible, if anything.

Go with the one you prefer.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
Yeah, because that is a valid comparison. I'm sure both cars were maintained exactly the same, being washed the same exact number of times and by the same person.

You can't draw any of the conclusions in your first post from your explanation in your second.
No need to be sarcastic. My friend and I both take great care of our cars and I was simply giving input from my experiences. I've also heard from various body shops that metallic paint stands the test of time better than non-metallic paint. In my opinion, if your spending $50000+ on a car, you should opt for the best paint available.