S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Please reduce oil level

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please reduce oil level

Hello All,

I had my car serviced over 5,000km ago and just the other day I was bored stuck in traffic and decided to play with the MMI. I was curious what my oil level was and saw this message. I was completely taken by surprise because when I left the dealership over 5,000km ago the oil level was "OK".

I've reset the MMI using the 3 button solute and I'm seeing the same response. This isn't the first time I've had this after a service but they informed me there was hardly anything to remove. I'm just curious this time around how I went from OK to reduce oil level and I haven't added anything.

I was looking at the user manual because I wanted to understand how the reading was done. I can't seem to force the reading on "level" ground even after opening my hood. I've left the car in park for 2 mins and still see the same message. (shut off the car left it for 2mins and turned it on again)

5,000km in I'm sure I've burned off a bit of oil and I shouldn't be seeing this... maybe the readings were taken when the car wasn't level or the engine was under stress??

No cel, or lights are on the dash.. no warnings car is functioning fine
Old 04-13-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it takes a bit longer than 2 minutes to get a reading after opening the hood. My car takes about 30 miles before the MMI will read the oil level again.

A $9 dipstick is your solution.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chestlock
I think it takes a bit longer than 2 minutes to get a reading after opening the hood. My car takes about 30 miles before the MMI will read the oil level again.

A $9 dipstick is your solution.
Agreed, but I'm still curious about the senor in the car (that's if I don't get a TD1 first *sigh*) I was told at the dealership the last time it happened that the car was overly sensitive. Don't know how true that is...
Old 04-14-2012, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't check oil level in traffic. You drive the car till warm then shut it off and park it for 10 minutes on a level spot, THEN check it. Doing so any other way will likely give a false reading.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TO407S4
I was told at the dealership the last time it happened that the car was overly sensitive. Don't know how true that is...
Don't ever forget her birthday.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TO407S4
Hello All,

I had my car serviced over 5,000km ago and just the other day I was bored stuck in traffic and decided to play with the MMI. I was curious what my oil level was and saw this message. I was completely taken by surprise because when I left the dealership over 5,000km ago the oil level was "OK".

I've reset the MMI using the 3 button solute and I'm seeing the same response. This isn't the first time I've had this after a service but they informed me there was hardly anything to remove. I'm just curious this time around how I went from OK to reduce oil level and I haven't added anything.

I was looking at the user manual because I wanted to understand how the reading was done. I can't seem to force the reading on "level" ground even after opening my hood. I've left the car in park for 2 mins and still see the same message. (shut off the car left it for 2mins and turned it on again)

5,000km in I'm sure I've burned off a bit of oil and I shouldn't be seeing this... maybe the readings were taken when the car wasn't level or the engine was under stress??

No cel, or lights are on the dash.. no warnings car is functioning fine
Same thing happened to me. I have a dipstick though. After my oil change at 5k my dipstick was reading between the "M" and "A" of the word MAX, but the MMI was showing me "oil level ok". After about a month the MMI was saying please reduce oil level.

So I figured the dealer must have put too much in. Checking the service receipt I saw that they used 6.9 quarts. The manual says 6.6 quarts approximately.

So I bought an oil extractor on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil...4422998&sr=8-1
And removed ~.3 quarts myself through the dipstick tube (so easy).
The MMI now reads oil level okay, and my dipstick is exactly on the max mark.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
So I bought an oil extractor on Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Turf-Oil...4422998&sr=8-1
And removed ~.3 quarts myself through the dipstick tube (so easy).
I'm guessing you're not planning to change your oil with that since it has a lower oil capacity than the engine.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
I'm guessing you're not planning to change your oil with that since it has a lower oil capacity than the engine.
What? The extractor can hold up to 5 quarts.
I only removed .3 quarts to be exactly on the max mark.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by FatalBert
What? The extractor can hold up to 5 quarts.
I only removed .3 quarts to be exactly on the max mark.
That holds 6 quarts. The engine holds 6.6 quarts. Ergo, you can't change the oil in the S4 with that extractor pump unless you empty it part way through extracting.

And, yes I realize you only extracted .3 quarts with it this time.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
That holds 6 quarts. The engine holds 6.6 quarts. Ergo, you can't change the oil in the S4 with that extractor pump unless you empty it part way through extracting.

And, yes I realize you only extracted .3 quarts with it this time.
It no biggie pouring the oil in another container mid way.

I wouldn't change the oil with this either, (not because it doesn't hold the full capacity, but because I'm a believer of getting any particles out from draining through the bottom) even though I've heard some dealers do it that way.

I just wanted the power to adjust the oil level without having to jack it up and drain it.

Last edited by FatalBert; 04-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Please reduce oil level