S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

The plot thickens - B8 RS4 Avant Mule spotted

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The plot thickens - B8 RS4 Avant Mule spotted

Motor Authority has shots of it and the article is over on Fortitude:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.p...for-First-Time

We've found what we believe to be the first set of spy photos of the upcoming RS 4 Avant posted over at MotorAuthority. Make sure to see plenty more angles of the car after the jump. MA notes the car is essentially A4 bodied with a unique RS-like chin spoiler, RS 5 wheels and brakes and suggests the car will be a high-hp version of the 3.0T FSI supercharged engine that should hit market in 2013 as a 2014 model.

So What Do We Think?
We believe this is an RS 4 Avant mule but our sources suggest some of MotorAuthority's details are incorrect. Originally we'd been told the RS 4 will share drivetrains with the RS 5 and that would be the high-rev 4.2-liter V8. A board level source told us you can't justify two different drivetrains for RS 4 and RS 5 so expect RS 4 to mirror RS 5... or rather the engine the RS 5 has when it gets a product improvement (PI a.k.a. facelift) next year. We expect they'll both keep the 4.2 high-rev though we wish they'd swap it for the 4.0T FSI.

The 3.0T simply isn't a quattro GmbH developed engine and so the likelihood of its use is slim to none despite what MotorAuthority says.

When will we see it? The new A4 is also due summer of 2012 as a 2013 model alongside the A5/S5/RS 5. The soonest we guess Audi will show the RS 4 Avant will be that time though it could very well wait a year as MA suggests. This remains to be seen.

We've rendered a few shots of the RS 4 Avant were it built in current pre-facelift guise and it can be seen below in Suzuka Grey and Ipanema Brown. It's worth noting though, the RS 4 won't be revealed until after the facelift.

The chances for the RS 4 Avant in America are actually quite good... better than A4 Avant and better than S4 Avant surprisingly. When the A4 facelift first launches the A4 Avant will disappear from the US market and be replaced by the A4 allroad. Audi of America thinks this will sell better and that's probably true if you look at Outback and XC70 sales versus their wagon equivalents. Still, the A4 allroad in the USA means the Avant body structure is still in market and that makes bringing the RS 4 Avant easier. Audi of America is quite serious about bolstering its RS chops in the USA and we were a fly on a wall during a conversation between quattro GmbH and Audi of America executives where they discussed "the Avant" and "the (RS 5) Cabriolet". We're hoping we see both but would settle for just the Avant.

Don't expect to see an RS 4 sedan. Audi AG used US numbers to justify the B7 RS 4 sedan (the only RS 4 sedan in Audi's history). The RS 5 was the smarter move here and with that model already in market, there's no business case for a sedan.

See more RS 4 Avant test mule spy photos after the jump. Thanks John S. for the tip.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rs4-avant-mule
Old 03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just fell in love!!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

What's the size of those wheels! Looks like the titanium package but in 20's! Where can I get those??
Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by B8Lover
What's the size of those wheels! Looks like the titanium package but in 20's! Where can I get those??
Those are off the RS5 (hence the cross drilling and RS calipers). Won't fit our car, the ET is too extreme, look at the concavity on them!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

nice
Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Very interesting. I think the flared fenders work better on the B7 body.

It certainly will help the resale value of the S4 if they stuff another 4.2 derivative into the RS.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yet another Audi we won't see on our shores
Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
yet another Audi we won't see on our shores
Yup, true dat.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The size of the calipers in the fourtitude pics is amazing!!!! Those look like the big block systems from Alcon/Stoptech/Stasis/Brembo.

It would be great if Audi could offer brake upgrades like this on our car. Something similar to what Porsche does on many of their cars. I probably would have upgraded my brakes when I ordered if this was offered.

Thanks for the pics Neal.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by redrocker55
The size of the calipers in the fourtitude pics is amazing!!!! Those look like the big block systems from Alcon/Stoptech/Stasis/Brembo.

It would be great if Audi could offer brake upgrades like this on our car. Something similar to what Porsche does on many of their cars. I probably would have upgraded my brakes when I ordered if this was offered.

Thanks for the pics Neal.
They do (sort of). You can buy the RS5 brake kit and install it on our car no prob, it costs about 3K though.

Achtuning! has a special going on now to clear out some of their Stoptech BBK's which are 355mm floating slotted rotors, 6 piston calipers, stainless steel lines, larger pads, etc. This is roughly equal to the RS5 OEM kit, and used to cost about 3K also, but on this closeout they have the kit for about 2,200.

I'm having one installed a week from today

Quick Reply: The plot thickens - B8 RS4 Avant Mule spotted