S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Project iPad Mini in 2010 S4

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Project iPad Mini in 2010 S4

I wanted to post a picture of my 2010 S4 iPad Mini project. I am still working on getting the dash piece customized to show the larger screen but this is a start. Let me know your feedback.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2014, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like a nice clean install but how safe is it to use while driving? An iPad doesn't really have the same touch controls as an automotive touch screen.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting however how are you going to get the info from the original screen
Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SFloor'd
Interesting however how are you going to get the info from the original screen
I am relocating the screen to glove box in a factory looking enclosure. With the iPad I rarely use the factory screen except for maybe resetting some car functions and changing the factory time and date. I will post new pics when the new dash piece is finished and you can see the whole screen. Right now that is only about 70% of the screen. The Nav works beautifully, Pandora, iTunes. I had the larger screen in my 2008 A4.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
Looks like a nice clean install but how safe is it to use while driving? An iPad doesn't really have the same touch controls as an automotive touch screen.
All the factory controls still work on the S4. Its just like having an iPod connected in the glovebox. I really dont search the web and that stuff while driving. Too dangerous. The Nav is great, Siri works good, having Pandora, Spotify and Slacker at your beacon call is wonderful. The factory screen is relocated to the glovebox.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Any finished pics? I'm looking at doing the same thing.....
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

This looks like a clean install, I'm looking to do the same thing to my car (2010 Audi A4 B8) do you have full tortial on this project?
Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

May I ask what purpose this serves -- other than to get streaming music, and sidestep the inadequacies of the MMI for nav... Is it just an aesthetic update since the iPad has greater screen resolution? Just curious...

Don't get me wrong, it's cool looking...but I'm just not sure if I'd undertake such a project for such little benefit (my two cents). I think I would just get a Tune2Air and leave an ipod touch in the center console since it carries metadata now...
Old 06-23-2014, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It looks like you just cut the factory frame down and made it bigger. I took the cover off couple days ago, but I didn't take the screen off to see the actual wire hook. Is the Ipad gonna work with factory radio and speakers?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by liub001048
It looks like you just cut the factory frame down and made it bigger. I took the cover off couple days ago, but I didn't take the screen off to see the actual wire hook. Is the Ipad gonna work with factory radio and speakers?
All - this was much more work than my B7 A4. You have to remove big sections of factory plastic plus notch out your dash pad behind the dash bezel. All this just to get it to stand up. Then you must cut and fiberglass the dash bezel to open it up so you can see the entire screen. I just used the factory iPod connector. That way all the steering wheel controls work. I also relocated the factory screen to the glovebox in order to maintain all the factory settings and backup camera. The system functions great. Full iTunes music library, full streaming of pandora and slacker, ipad navigation programs all touchscreen, cnn or Fox News, video playback, etc. it's endless entertainment.

Quick Reply: Project iPad Mini in 2010 S4