S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase Questions

Hey guys, I'm considering getting an 2013 S4. I've seen a few 2012 that i've been looking at as well. What were the big changes in 2013? From what i've read you definitely want the torque vectoring rear differential. What are people's opinions on the automatic transmission. I've always been manual guy but am considering an auto this time around. Is this transmissions pretty good? The one i've found doesn't have the backup camera which is a bit of a bummer? It does have only 4k miles with the torque vectoring rear diff for around $51k? Is this fair, it is CPO so i'd get the 2 extra years of warranty.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
Hey guys, I'm considering getting an 2013 S4. I've seen a few 2012 that i've been looking at as well. What were the big changes in 2013? From what i've read you definitely want the torque vectoring rear differential. What are people's opinions on the automatic transmission. I've always been manual guy but am considering an auto this time around. Is this transmissions pretty good? The one i've found doesn't have the backup camera which is a bit of a bummer? It does have only 4k miles with the torque vectoring rear diff for around $51k? Is this fair, it is CPO so i'd get the 2 extra years of warranty.
The 2013 has a different grille(IMHO uglier). Also has a flat bottom steering wheel and the abilty to stream bluetooth from your phone and an upgraded Nav. In many cases the dealers ARE NOT Really discounting the used S4s that much and a new one can often be had for close to or even less than a used one based on your options. The S4 does not come with an automatic transmission. It does have an automated dual clutch manual transmission that has no clutch pedal. Many that have the DSG trans really like it . BUT it does not give you the driving experience of a manual trans. It will give you faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times . Before anyone can judge whether the asking price is good, we would need to know either the options on the car or the original MSRP. FYI, New S4s can usually be obtained for $500-$1000 over dealer invoice. Do not pay more than that.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

The options on it is premium plus. It also has the B&O system, Advanced Key, Vectoring rear diff, Nappa leather. It also has a 6yr/100k warranty. Where do you find out what invoice is?

Originally Posted by DrGP
The 2013 has a different grille(IMHO uglier). Also has a flat bottom steering wheel and the

abilty to stream bluetooth from your phone and an upgraded Nav. In many cases the dealers ARE NOT Really discounting the used S4s that much and a new one can often be had for close to or even less than a used one based on your options. The S4 does not come with an automatic transmission. It does have an automated dual clutch manual transmission that has no clutch pedal. Many that have the DSG trans really like it . BUT it does not give you the driving experience of a manual trans. It will give you faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times . Before anyone can judge whether the asking price is good, we would need to know either the options on the car or the original MSRP. FYI, New S4s can usually be obtained for $500-$1000 over dealer invoice. Do not pay more than that.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New for 2013 S4
Crown Gear Differential on DSG
Torque vectoring rear differential
Electromechanical speed-sensitive power steering system instead of hydraulic
Aggressive grill
LED daytime running lights
Three-spoke multifunction, flat-bottom
S sport shifter
Sound actuator
Audi MMI® Navigation plus
Audi Connect 6 months, Google Maps street view
Sirius radio 3 months
Sirius traffic 4 years
Bluetooth streaming
Old 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

The options on it is premium plus. It also has the B&O system, Advanced Key, Vectoring rear diff, Nappa leather. It also has a 6yr/100k warranty. Where do you find out what invoice is?
Edmunds.com
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would seem that you could get a new one with those options for just about the same price as they are asking for the used one. PLUS you can order the color combo you want and know exactly how the car was initially driven. You will only get a 4 yr 50k warranty, but you can buy an extended warranty at any time. I bet they dealer may even be able to locate and trade for a new car if you want one sooner than the normal 9-12 week build time. If this car has all the bells and whistle you really wnt' you should be oK. I noticed there was no Nav listed on the options. I don't have one but others seem to think it is esential.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where do you find out what invoice is?
truecar.com

If I had a choice between a new 2013 and a used 2012, I would drive both back to back. The only reason I might get the 2012 is because it does not use the new electromechanical steering that is in the 2013. Otherwise the brand new car should cost close to the used price..