S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm getting this vibration too only when idle. when i pop the hood there's like a hose next to the intake and you can see it vibrate pretty good and there's like a tick tick kind of sound too it.

i remember when i was at the dealer testing one out i don't remember it being like this, opened the hood didn't see nothing vibrates engine was very quiet also. Car had like 300 miles on it

Had a tech look at the car and he says its normal for a unbalance v6 engine whatever that means. i find it b/s the car i tested out was very quiet inside and out no vibrating at all feels like the car wasn't even turn on that's how smooth it was.

It gets pretty annoying from time to time.Even my 4 cylinder car does not vibrate at all lol not expecting this from a v6. Gonna go in one day and test one of their car on the lot too see is this normal.

Did anyone bring this issue to their dealer?

tia
Old 03-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mr_coo168
I'm getting this vibration too only when idle. when i pop the hood there's like a hose next to the intake and you can see it vibrate pretty good and there's like a tick tick kind of sound too it.

i remember when i was at the dealer testing one out i don't remember it being like this, opened the hood didn't see nothing vibrates engine was very quiet also. Car had like 300 miles on it

Had a tech look at the car and he says its normal for a unbalance v6 engine whatever that means. i find it b/s the car i tested out was very quiet inside and out no vibrating at all feels like the car wasn't even turn on that's how smooth it was.

It gets pretty annoying from time to time.Even my 4 cylinder car does not vibrate at all lol not expecting this from a v6. Gonna go in one day and test one of their car on the lot too see is this normal.

Did anyone bring this issue to their dealer?

tia

Went to the dealer today.Had the tech look at it and he feels the vibration through the seats also, he said it was normal with these engines.
I ask to see another s4 on the lot and it was doing the same thing.Does anyone of u have this problem?
Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Mine does the same.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can't probably be any worse than a B5 2.7T idle, can it ?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW on my B5S4 I bumped the idle up by a couple hundred RPM (from like 600 to 800) and it helped smooth the idle. I assume the B8 probably has a VAG block like the B5 to do this.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Is the vibration normal for the S4 when idling ?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by coolspotz

here

Originally Posted by mr_coo168
Went to the dealer today.Had the tech look at it and he feels the vibration through the seats also, he said it was normal with these engines.
I ask to see another s4 on the lot and it was doing the same thing.Does anyone of u have this problem?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My B8 has the same vibration that my B5 did. If I increase the RPM just a couple hundred RPM from 650 to 850, it smoothes out. However I haven't found a way to increase the idle speed yet.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by coolspotz

I have it too since new, and also believe it is normal. As Construct mentioned aggressive cam profiles are probably a contributing factor. There was even a magazine article somewhere that mentioned the slight roughness of idle compared to the 3.0T in the A6 or A7. Maybe if there are any detailed technical specs regarding cam profile we could determine if this is also part of how they get the extra 23HP out of the S4 3.0T.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I have noticed. My car doesn't idle at the same rpms every time I stop and idle(there is a range). When it is at the lower end of the range (650-700 rpms) the idle seems rough. When it idles at 750-800 rpms the idle smooths out. FYI, just looking at the tach makes it hard to really know the EXACT rpms at the lower range. When I notice the rough idle, I can increase the idle by a few hundred rpms with the gas pedal and manually cause the idle to smooth out.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle