S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S-Tronic, does this sound normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default S-Tronic, does this sound normal?

I've already read other threads about this topic but I don't think they describe what I feel so I thought I would ask the question.

I've had my car for 1,000 miles and have experienced the following when it is in Automatic and Dynamic mode.

When I pull up to a stop sign and stop completely, but get back on the gas quickly, the car feels like it is in neutral for less than a second and is then thrown into gear after I've given it a little gas. The engine revs and then is dumped into gear and you can feel it. As I mentioned, this happens when I give it a little gas and I could only imagine how bad it would feel like if I really step on it.

Is this normal for this transmission or should I have it checked out. Thanks.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds normal to me.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by sducotey
I've already read other threads about this topic but I don't think they describe what I feel so I thought I would ask the question.

I've had my car for 1,000 miles and have experienced the following when it is in Automatic and Dynamic mode.

When I pull up to a stop sign and stop completely, but get back on the gas quickly, the car feels like it is in neutral for less than a second and is then thrown into gear after I've given it a little gas. The engine revs and then is dumped into gear and you can feel it. As I mentioned, this happens when I give it a little gas and I could only imagine how bad it would feel like if I really step on it.

Is this normal for this transmission or should I have it checked out. Thanks.
Sounds normal. I think if you are more accustomed to a traditional automatic there are some driving circumstances as you described where it may feel like the clutch is being let out a little quick. I usually just remind myself how would I have reacted in the particular situation if I were driving a manual...maybe slip the clutch a bit more...could be hard for the S-tronic to determine that.

FWIW I think this is more prevalent in Dynamic mode.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is definitely clunking when coming to a stop. Pulling away I have no issues. Once my car is warmed up I drive mine in full manual 100% of the time. Hate the way it quick shifts in auto. My GTI DSG is far more aggressive in sport/dynamic. I wish the tranny was more similar to the GTI, anyway.....
Old 10-30-2011, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on what others have said. it takes time to get used to it. after a while you can anticipate or feel it and learn to hesitate and let the DSG figure things out before very lightly applying gas. I have to use a combo of a short pause and light gas to pull off smoother and works most of the time.

I don't mind as much if it's just me in the car, but when I have passengers I have to pay attention to the transitions so they don't notice. would hate for them to say " what's wrong with your car?!" lol.

now I see why they don't put the s-tronic in the a6, a7, a8 and Qs in the US...people seem to have expectations of a luxury car and the sometimes rough transitions of the DSG would definitely be unexpected.

I test drove the s4 a few times before ordering and the DSG was a let down in the luxury-feel category but after learning about the mechanicals and loving everything else about the car I decided to accept it for what it is!
Old 10-30-2011, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback.