S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S Tronic Under Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I wish that I could upshift while under WOT. I thought the DSG would have offered the best of both worlds but I guess there is some compromise. I miss having a manual.
I guess I dont see the advantage of shift early during WOT? If you want to shift early just reduce the pressure on the gas and it will shift.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 81bear
I guess I dont see the advantage of shift early during WOT? If you want to shift early just reduce the pressure on the gas and it will shift.
I lose complete feel of the car. If I am in manual mode I expect to be able to shift manually. It throws me off that I can shift in manual mode but it turns into automatic mode when at WOT. To each their own I suppose.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Just be more gentle with the throttle, ease to near full throttle, but not slammed to the floor. Relax and let it flow, feel the force.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by m444
Just be more gentle with the throttle, ease to near full throttle, but not slammed to the floor. Relax and let it flow, feel the force.
Uncle Ben?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:21 AM
Banned

that's lame

in the b6/7 S4 for example it doesn't make sense holding each gear to redline....shifting a bit sooner is faster (6600 or so is better than 7000 unless you have an upgraded intake manifold)

what the OP is saying is that if his transmission was on a B6/7 S4 he would be forced to be slower (by holding to redline)

that's gay. If it's manual mode, it should be manual. Sometimes you don't want to have to modulate the throttle...you just want to stomp it, but maybe he wants to shift at 5500 etc.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ???

so in the 2 seconds the dsg is in 1st under WOT you want to shift early, not really sure the computer is fast enough any way. probably assumes if you floor it you want to go fast and does take over, I never noticed and if you can prove - with out data logging that it actually shifts at 7000, 6600, etc your tach and eyes must be a load better than mine.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

To me the S-tronic is saying that under full throttle the car is an automatic (period). When I bought a car with paddle shifters, I expected to be able to shift manually under full throttle. If I am not going to have the ability to shift manually, I might as well be in auto mode.

The goal of my post was to draw attention to the S-tronic's inability to shift under WOT. I don't think it was commonly known and if I had known, I probably would have purchased a manual. The reason I would choose a manual is the same reason that any other person chooses a manual. The shift point is not the argument and I think some posts get that.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Service tech says he test drove an S4 and was able to shift under WOT by holding the shifter up longer. I tried but it didn't work. Service tech replied there is no fix. I am making an argument to test drive another S4 at the dealership.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicky_do_it
Service tech says he test drove an S4 and was able to shift under WOT by holding the shifter up longer. I tried but it didn't work. Service tech replied there is no fix. I am making an argument to test drive another S4 at the dealership.
what do you mean "holding the shifter up longer?' Is he able to paddle shift at, say, 4K rpm at WOT in manual mode?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mark_nimda
what do you mean "holding the shifter up longer?' Is he able to paddle shift at, say, 4K rpm at WOT in manual mode?
He did not mention anything about the paddle shifter. He was referring to the abiltiy to shift manually prior to 7K using the shifter in the console. He said tapping it forward doesn't work but pushing it forward and holding it does. Doesn't work on my car so I would like to see it for myslef on another.

Quick Reply: S Tronic Under Full Throttle