S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 Avant and A4 Allroad in the US

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Avant and A4 Allroad in the US

Hi, I actually live in Europe where I drive a A4 Avant. I am planning moving to the States and I have visited the www.audiusa.com searching info on the S4 Avant but it seems it is not available in the US. The same goes for the A4 Allroad. Do you know if any regular Audi Dealer would sell these models.

Thanks a lot,

Cocolisodos
Old 09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default No, they won't

Any new model slated to be sold in the U.S. has to be tested (emissions, safety, etc.) for each drivetrain and body style configuration. So the fact that a sedan S4 is offered does not mean that an Audi dealer can order you an S4 Avant. You cannot even get options that are not part of the U.S. specification for a factory ordered car (Euro delivery included). So it's not an Audi limitation. Blame it on federal standards.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest looking into what it takes to ship/import a car to the US as a private citizen if you are *really* wanting an Avant/Allroad.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, so do you think it is a matter of time because in the past avant were comercialized in the States and it is just that the S4 Avant is newer than the sedan or on the contrary avant models are simply not popular in the States (as I noticed for example that the BMW M5 Touring is not sold either)so normally Audi does not export that kind of cars to the US?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
Any new model slated to be sold in the U.S. has to be tested (emissions, safety, etc.) for each drivetrain and body style configuration. So the fact that a sedan S4 is offered does not mean that an Audi dealer can order you an S4 Avant. You cannot even get options that are not part of the U.S. specification for a factory ordered car (Euro delivery included). So it's not an Audi limitation. Blame it on federal standards.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I think Avants aren't as popular in the U.S. as they are in Europe. Also Audi has pared down its drivertrain and model offerings in the U.S. rather dramatically in the past couple of years in order to improve profitability (or rather, become profitable). For 2010, the dropped the A4 3.2, TT 3.2, TT 2.0T FWD, A3 3.2, as well as the A5 3.2 manual, A8L W12, and S8 (the last two because it's the last year of D4 A8 production and they will probably come back). Before that, they dropped the A4 2.0T in FrontTrack manual configuration, A4 V6 Avant, A4 V6 manual .... The list goes on and on. I wouldn't count on the S4 Avant ever coming back.

I agree with some of the moves (bringing over the $82K RS 4 cabriolet was a boneheaded idea), but I don't like the fact that there are hardly any manula transmission models left in the line-up.

Originally Posted by cocolisodos
Thanks for the reply, so do you think it is a matter of time because in the past avant were comercialized in the States and it is just that the S4 Avant is newer than the sedan or on the contrary avant models are simply not popular in the States (as I noticed for example that the BMW M5 Touring is not sold either)so normally Audi does not export that kind of cars to the US?

Thanks again!