S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 beats 335 in November Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You're thinking the A4 weight. S4 is heavier.

Originally Posted by equ
Just got mine. 4000lbs?!? What gives? Audi claims sth in the 3600-3700 range. Even if you add 40lbs each for sport diff and S-tronic, I don't see how the car gets there.
Audi claims
3,847 for manual, 3,924 for S-tronic on the S4. It's considerably heavier than the A4. (Different engine and other changes.)
Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the Sport Diff doesn't automatically come with ADS? You have to pay another $4k or so to get it?
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tubi
So the Sport Diff doesn't automatically come with ADS? You have to pay another $4k or so to get it?
It's best to think of the additional option as adding the adjustable suspension and the dynamic steering (speed and condition variable steering ratio), and then the controls to determine how aggressively they work.

ADS is just a set of controls to alter how various computer-controlled systems in the car function. If you get the Sport Diff, you get ADS controls for all the adjustable components you have-- Servotronic steering (speed-variable assist), shift points on the automatic (replaces D and S on gearbox), engine response, and the sports diff.

The full package adds the adjustable suspension and the dynamic steering, and allows them to be controlled through ADS.

On some cars, an adjustable suspension and Active Steering are separate options, but without controls to affect how aggressively the operate. The adjustable suspension should theoretically yield benefits even if you never touch the ADS buttons, as should the dynamic steering.

It's a mistake to think that you have to touch the ADS buttons to get benefits from the adjustable suspension, dynamic steering, and/or sports diff. They all operate perfectly fine in Auto mode. The other modes simply change how aggressively they operate-- for example, Comfort should make the car more likely choose to engage traction control instead of or along with sending more torque to the opposite wheel via the sports diff.

The adjustable suspension is supposed to change its firmness based on road conditions and driving habits without the buttons being selected. But Comfort would make it more likely to choose a softer ride in certain situations, whereas Sport makes it more likely to choose a firmer ride.

ADS means you get a choice of three programs for each component system. With BMW's Active Steering, you only get the default program for how it operates.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by John Thacker
Audi claims
3,847 for manual, 3,924 for S-tronic on the S4. It's considerably heavier than the A4. (Different engine and other changes.)
Thanks for pointing out, that didn't open up for me in firefox and when I did open it with explorer it was buried under drivetrain/steering, thus I had been missing this weight data for a while. I had converted from the audi.de and audi.co.uk sites to get to 3600-3700lbs, I guess I was dreaming.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I love my 335i, especially for what I paid as a CPO car. My wife will take a hard look at the Audi wagons to replace her 323iT. But better than the new S4, my buddy just got an RS4 with 8k miles for $48!! Used cars are the way to go these days.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Thacker
It's best to think of the additional option as adding the adjustable suspension and the dynamic steering (speed and condition variable steering ratio), and then the controls to determine how aggressively they work.

ADS is just a set of controls to alter how various computer-controlled systems in the car function. If you get the Sport Diff, you get ADS controls for all the adjustable components you have-- Servotronic steering (speed-variable assist), shift points on the automatic (replaces D and S on gearbox), engine response, and the sports diff.

The full package adds the adjustable suspension and the dynamic steering, and allows them to be controlled through ADS.

On some cars, an adjustable suspension and Active Steering are separate options, but without controls to affect how aggressively the operate. The adjustable suspension should theoretically yield benefits even if you never touch the ADS buttons, as should the dynamic steering.

It's a mistake to think that you have to touch the ADS buttons to get benefits from the adjustable suspension, dynamic steering, and/or sports diff. They all operate perfectly fine in Auto mode. The other modes simply change how aggressively they operate-- for example, Comfort should make the car more likely choose to engage traction control instead of or along with sending more torque to the opposite wheel via the sports diff.

The adjustable suspension is supposed to change its firmness based on road conditions and driving habits without the buttons being selected. But Comfort would make it more likely to choose a softer ride in certain situations, whereas Sport makes it more likely to choose a firmer ride.

ADS means you get a choice of three programs for each component system. With BMW's Active Steering, you only get the default program for how it operates.
I'm confused because on the website it says the Sport Diff option comes with ADS for $1100. So what's the difference between this ADS and the $4k extra ADS?

"Sports Rear Differential Package
The S4 offers the optional quattro® with Sport Rear Differential which dynamically varies torque between the rear wheels for enhanced cornering agility.
Package contents
- Sports Rear Differential
- Audi drive select"
Old 09-30-2009, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

The $1100 ADS is basically ADS lite. It doesn't allow you to adjust the steering or the suspension.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If you order Audi Drive Select on the S4, it also includes the Sport Differential

Ordering Audi Drive Select (which on the S4 includes the sport differential) costs $3950.

Alternatively, you can get the stand alone Sport Differential without Audi Drive Select for $1100.

Last edited by Bob58; 09-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My brother's got a 335 Tiptronic saloon. Did a couple of back-to-back runs the other week. Nothing in it acceleration-wise, though mine's 20k miles short of his so with more miles on the clock maybe the S4 will pull more. His interior definitely feels dated after jumping out of mine. Still an awesome car though the 335.