S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S4 driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S4 driver's seat

i love the drive of my 2013 S4, the engine/transmission, ride/handling are even better than expected, coming from a 2005 B6. However, what disappointed me was the driver's seat, I got sore back for driving just 30 minutes. And for longer trips of 4-5 hours, it was torture after the first hour. I have not seen this as a problem mentioned on the forum, and my wife seems to be fine with the seat---although she did not do long distance driving in this car. I tried seat angle and lumbar adjustment to many different setting, it did help with some settings, but did not eliminate the problem.

The Recaro seat in the 2005 was much better for me, although I also got a bit of sore back after 3-4 hours drive. On the other hand, I got almost no backaches at all driving our 2008 550i for long trips.

Is it just me having problem with S4 driver's seat?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the recaros in the older cars to be the most comfortable seat I have ever had. I do not like the new seat as much as the old seat however I find it is the second most comfortable seat I have had. As a result, I found my Audie's to be the go to car for long trips. We are each built a little different so not surprising experiences differ.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, I find the seats to be very comfortable. I just went on a 2500 mile road trip and was quite pleased. I guess seats are like shoes - what feels great on one person feels terrible on another.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

I go back and forth between old (RS4) and new (B8 S4) and I never even think there is a difference to speak of. They are both very supportive and very comfortable (I make regular 65 mile round trips).
Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like it is only me. I could not figure out why it was so bad for me, I need to try more seat adjustment.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Adjust the lumbar support, and then the angle of the seat and back... repeat until comfortable.

I love this seat!
Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense but this question pops up on one of the S4 forum about every other month, Audi, like all auto mfg, tries to make a seat (with adjustable components ) that will allow MOST drivers to tune the seat to a comfortable position. There is no way that they can be successful for every possible driver size shape and underlying spinal conditions. If you are finding the seat uncomfortable, it might be a sign of underlying undisclosed back issues. There are some drivers that do have issues with these seats. In my case, I had problems with seats that I had on my BMWs. They caused my sciatica to flare up. There is no magic bullet solution to your problem. One thing that helps me when I am driving for a longer distance or in a different car is to take a bath towel and roll it up. I place it in the lumbar curvature of my back. But that's just me. Your back will obviously be different
Old 08-28-2013, 03:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I find the seat to be very comfortable. I, however, had been dealing with back pain over the past couple of years (not related to what car I was driving). Over the past 3 months, I have really committed myself to strengthening my core by 'planking' on a daily basis. By strengthening the muscles around my core, it has taken a lot of pressure off my spine, and I can honestly say, my back hasn't felt this good in YEARS. I'm 49 y/o, not over weight and am active, if that matters. Even though I have been active over the past few years, my back still bothered me.... but not since I have been planking!

I can't speak highly enough about the benefits of 'planking'!
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

DrGP,

Yes, I do have back problem. I hurt my back before from heavy lifting, it was mostly fine now, but maybe somehow the S4 seat triggered the old injury. I have been trying different seat angles and lumbar adjustment, I noticed, unlike the Recaro seat in the B6, I get more comfortable with more lumbar support in the B8. Anyway, now that I know that the S4 seats are good for most drivers, and the fact that the driver seat has multiple adjustments, I think I maybe able to find a setting that would be more comfortable for my back. Thank you for the towel suggestion, I will try it in my next long distance trip.

MrTalleyMon,

Thank you for your post, I just googled 'planking", and did my first excercise. I really like it and I think it would help.

This has been very helpful. Thank you all who has contributed.

On a side note, I was a bit worry about uneven idle and rough DSG shifting before I purchased the B8, I have also posted questions on the forum. Now 4 months after ownership, I would say those worry was unfounded, the engine and transmission are the best I have experinced so far.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by WENR
DrGP,
MrTalleyMon,

Thank you for your post, I just googled 'planking", and did my first excercise. I really like it and I think it would help.
You're certainly welcome. Remember, sit-ups are bad for your lower back. Crunches aren't good for it either. Also, make sure you do the side planking, where you rest one forearm on the floor and your body is sideways to the floor (as well as regular planking where both forearms are on the floor, and your body faces the floor). Good luck!

Quick Reply: S4 driver's seat