S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

So.... back from the dragstrip round 4!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dissapointing but I'm thinking there may be more than meets the eye.

Since you have a vag-com cable do you have any interest in making some runs with boost/bleed valve duty cycle/timing. MAP boost plus timing curve should give you an accurate representation of how the car is running. I'm sure APR could then confirm whether or not your results are their expected calibration for 100 octane.

For an increase of 1-2 mph and .2 in the 1/4 you probably aren't making more than 30hp more than stock. Hopefully this is a problem with the 100 octane calibration and not a representative run of the kind of improvment to be had from APR. If it is I'll be staying stock

I give APR the benefit of the doubt though, they will help you get to the bottom of things.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jibberjive
12.6 doesn't sound too bad to me. What were you guys expecting with stock supercharger and a tune?
Its not just the tune. He also added 100 octane fuel. Some of the gains would come just from the octane change ... therefore even less can be attributed to the chip.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to see a Quartz putting the hammer down, not jazzed by the results, but I am holding off till the apprpriate triage has been done. I also await Voltron and his group's results as well.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Nothing else to say bud? I would like to hear your thoughts....
I'm disappointed but reserved in my opinion as my car is noticeably faster now.

Track time aside, how does the car feel?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Oh and my delayed reaction was me losing my *** in the Hong Kong futures market for the past hour. Was doing well until I got the news. Was mentally "not in the game" after that and it cost me $500.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffc31337
Dissapointing but I'm thinking there may be more than meets the eye.

Since you have a vag-com cable do you have any interest in making some runs with boost/bleed valve duty cycle/timing. MAP boost plus timing curve should give you an accurate representation of how the car is running. I'm sure APR could then confirm whether or not your results are their expected calibration for 100 octane.

For an increase of 1-2 mph and .2 in the 1/4 you probably aren't making more than 30hp more than stock. Hopefully this is a problem with the 100 octane calibration and not a representative run of the kind of improvment to be had from APR. If it is I'll be staying stock

I give APR the benefit of the doubt though, they will help you get to the bottom of things.
I don't have alot of experience with the vag-com but heard it is easy so I should be able to do whatever is needed to log #'s. I will work with APR on this.... I agree with your assesment!

Originally Posted by MadMadS4
Its not just the tune. He also added 100 octane fuel. Some of the gains would come just from the octane change ... therefore even less can be attributed to the chip.
Exactly, which is why I wanted to make some passes with 100 octane on the stock tune....

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Good to see a Quartz putting the hammer down, not jazzed by the results, but I am holding off till the apprpriate triage has been done. I also await Voltron and his group's results as well.
Agreed! I didn't lose a race all night! LOL People at the track are still impressed with the car and I get alot of comments but I wasn't the most friendly tonight! LOL I am anxiously awaiting those results as well.... I have a feeling someone may run better with a 93 tune....

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
I'm disappointed but reserved in my opinion as my car is noticeably faster now.

Track time aside, how does the car feel?
Understood and I appreciate your honesty.... The car feels slightly faster but not that noticeable really, which is why I am thinking something is up.... If nothing else my track times proved that as I have a pretty good butt dyno! LOL Thanks again!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

For the record I have used the gtech a few times in the car already and while I'd rather not post the results because they are so subjective, they were well improved over the stock numbers.

I suppose the pressure is on now.

I'd be curious to see what an octane "additive" would do for the car. But you have the proper diagnostic tools so no use in "throwing darts".

Last edited by voltrons_head; 09-29-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

post 'em up! Gtech RR or SS decent measure IMO. Have been using Gtech RR for many years. Example below.

Bruce

Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

BASH BASH BASH!

just kidding. Something went wrong, and it'll get resolved. Cheer up. The gains are dyno-proven and pulls proven. Picking up only one tenth on your previous times is just not in line with what we have seen from APR...who are honest to a fault, so I don't think anything they shared was off.

Looking forward to seeing it get resolved.

While I don't think 12.4 is something you guys should be 'expecting'...I think this car should trap closer to 113mph, not 111. My prediction was 12.6 @ 113 for on the average for APR tuned + catback B8 S4s. I stand by that. Do I win a prize?

This car however running so well on stock ECU, I figured would be more like 12.50. Most of the others are closer to 13.0-13.2 stock. I'd expect 12.7@112 out of those cars, but not this one.

The 60 foot times are not awesome...1.85 or so is kinda 'good' but I guess the transmission limits your ability to launch harder. The 60 foot vs. 330ft vs .1/8th vs 1/4 times are all very consistent. Neat that your fastest times were the last ones.

p.s. what were the conditions on the good pre-tune runs?

Last edited by sakimano; 09-29-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by voltrons_head
Oh and my delayed reaction was me losing my *** in the Hong Kong futures market for the past hour. Was doing well until I got the news. Was mentally "not in the game" after that and it cost me $500.
that's a cheap price for ***. You should charge more V.

Quick Reply: So.... back from the dragstrip round 4!