S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Supercharger and engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger and engine vibration

Do you experience more engine vibration with our supercharged engine than your non-supercharged engines?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

No. The engine is smooth as a V6 but has the low end torque of a V8 (just not the sound). Also there is no turbo lag at all (since there is no turbo)
Old 01-20-2011, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think it is the supercharger...v6's are not a naturally balanced engine like a v8. Smoothness is not a virtue in this engine design and balance shafts are a v6's friend. Many have noted the slight vibe at idle many theories as to why it's there, but nothing to worry about. This motor is a beast and pretty high strung for the size, it is the feeling of power ;-)
Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had 3.2 FSI V6 in my B7 A4 Avant and it vibrated much less. And I don't mean at idle, but above 3krpm or so.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
I don't think it is the supercharger...v6's are not a naturally balanced engine like a v8. Smoothness is not a virtue in this engine design and balance shafts are a v6's friend. Many have noted the slight vibe at idle many theories as to why it's there, but nothing to worry about. This motor is a beast and pretty high strung for the size, it is the feeling of power ;-)

I think it's possible that not 100% of the Superchargers that Eaton makes for the S4 have their vanes perfectly balanced. Superchargers spin very, very fast, and even a tiny imbalance would cause a noticeable vibration.

Also, what do you mean that a V6 isn't as naturally balanced as a V8? I wouldn't think that removing two cylinders would alter the balance, if one came off each side, but I'm wrong quite a bit.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

engine smoothness has to do with the angles of the cylinder banks, and the forces/counterforces of the pistons, as well as the number of cylinders.

there was an excellent article in C&D a month or two ago explaining this.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Excelsior7
I think it's possible that not 100% of the Superchargers that Eaton makes for the S4 have their vanes perfectly balanced. Superchargers spin very, very fast, and even a tiny imbalance would cause a noticeable vibration.

Also, what do you mean that a V6 isn't as naturally balanced as a V8? I wouldn't think that removing two cylinders would alter the balance, if one came off each side, but I'm wrong quite a bit.
I am not a mechanical engineer, but there are some good articles on the web that explain it much better than I can. I would search fro the C&D article referenced above that was a good one.

From my experience and from what I have read, a V6 is a nasty engine to tame especially if you go for extreme V- angles. V6's almost always utilize balance shafts to smooth out the vibes and give an artificial feeling of smoothness.

Mike
Old 01-21-2011, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Excelsior7

And for me, the hotter the engine, the more obvious the vibration.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, for me the vibration is then transfered to clutch and shifter via transmission.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by terminal nonchalance
I am not a mechanical engineer, but there are some good articles on the web that explain it much better than I can. I would search fro the C&D article referenced above that was a good one.

From my experience and from what I have read, a V6 is a nasty engine to tame especially if you go for extreme V- angles. V6's almost always utilize balance shafts to smooth out the vibes and give an artificial feeling of smoothness.

Mike
I can definitely see if there is a different bank angle, and probably that less mass offers less dampening of the system.

Quick Reply: Supercharger and engine vibration