S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Those without B&O did you go custom or left it alone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those without B&O did you go custom or left it alone?

All,

I recently purchased my 2014 S4 and unfortunately there was not an S4 in the area with the specs I was looking for. Going without B&O was the only compromise I had to make and figured I would get by or go custom anyway.

Well now that I have listened to the stock sound for a couple weeks I shopped around for a custom install (front 2-way speakers, 5 channel AMP and SUB + install labor) is between $3500-$5500. I am not sure it is worth it for me and was looking for a alternative solution or a way to justify it.

So for those of you without the B&O upgrade....are you just living with the poor quality, upgraded the system, or just don't care.

I am not an audiophile but enjoy music.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Which input are you using for your audio? Are you talking radio, streaming, using the cars built in memory, CDs (doubtful)? Do you have the MMI?
Old 11-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
Which input are you using for your audio? Are you talking radio, streaming, using the cars built in memory, CDs (doubtful)? Do you have the MMI?
Good question. I 95% stream from my iphone (Spotify) 5% radio.

Yes, I have MMI and Nav.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rxtrom
Good question. I 95% stream from my iphone (Spotify) 5% radio.

Yes, I have MMI and Nav.
I'm definitely not an audio expert, but whilst streaming your quality is almost always limited by the app (Spotify.) And while you will probably discern a difference, I personally wouldn't spend 3-5K on that difference. Now if you using downloaded music onto the car or streaming from your music library on your phone, that's where you'll notice the biggest difference. But I suspect Spotify is your primary limiting factor not the car's system (though it is just "ok".)
Old 11-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Since I am a Spotify premium subscriber. It looks like the quality is 320kbps - IF that even makes a difference.

https://support.spotify.com/us/learn...-for-streaming
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think the stock speakers are too bad but the sub is horrendous. I copied Jackp3111's idea (look up his thread) and it was a night and day difference. Total cost in parts $400+$50 in labor(basically just an amp install). Amazon has the parts for cheaper but Sonicelectronix.com will price match or beat , plus free shipping. Oh, don't forget to get a bass/gain ****. I really like the setup and sound especially for the money, and I think anyone that have gone with this route would say the same. Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2010 S4 did not have B&O. Since I was leasing, I left it stock. Actually thought it really wasn't bad. So when I ordered my 2014, I decided to get the B&O and I am totally underwhelmed. I do like the Bluetooth streaming, but I believe you can do that with the standard radio as well. I believe if you really want a great sound system, you would also have to upgrade the B&O and some have done so. Perhaps starting from scratch would be a better idea?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

BlueTooth streaming works through the MMI so as long as you have MMI it'll work without the B&O.

I considered building my own system. I listened to the factory stereo and found it pretty sucky, then I listened to the B&O and it was actually pretty good. The only weak points are the poor sub bass, and also lack of tone controls beyond bass and treble. After mulling it over I decided the B&O was a good value because it would cost me more than $850 to get the stereo that good anyway, and I've seen people put in their own sub and amp for about $500 that worked great. I might do this down the road.

In short, I felt the B&O was a good value for what you get.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
BlueTooth streaming works through the MMI so as long as you have MMI it'll work without the B&O.

I considered building my own system. I listened to the factory stereo and found it pretty sucky, then I listened to the B&O and it was actually pretty good. The only weak points are the poor sub bass, and also lack of tone controls beyond bass and treble. After mulling it over I decided the B&O was a good value because it would cost me more than $850 to get the stereo that good anyway, and I've seen people put in their own sub and amp for about $500 that worked great. I might do this down the road.

In short, I felt the B&O was a good value for what you get.
+1
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Stock

Not sure what the issue is with the stock system? I'm not trying to win any stereo awards, but its plenty loud, and kicks with bass. The only thing that pisses me off is when the dash rattles.....I'm not investing a dime into the stereo....rather have a stasis kit.

Quick Reply: Those without B&O did you go custom or left it alone?