S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

TOP TIER Detergent Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TOP TIER Detergent Gas?

Anyone out there only (or mostly) use the TOP TIER detergent gas recommended by Audi in the 2010 S4 Manual?

www.toptiergas.com
Old 04-25-2010, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't have the car for a couple of weeks yet, it's on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic as we speak (hurry up, sailors!) but I've read a little bit about deposit issues with the TFSI direct injection. While I don't believe the Top Tier gas will fix the problem it should help, so I definitely intend to use it - I'll print out the list and keep it in the car.

Another thing that's supposed to help the deposit issue is higher octane, if anyone knows if any of the Top Tier fuels are available in an octane higher than 93 please clue me in. (Another thing that's supposed to help is keeping the engine hot, so don't be afraid to use your right foot!)

Some interesting info about gasoline brands and detergent additives - it looks dense but it's actually a quick read.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.

Many here use only top tier, highest octane fuel. Though it's more for a performance issue and that it really doesn't save you that much money using a lesser grade. Since we have Direct Injection (DI) engines, there is no injector washing fuel spray over the intake valves, which cleans them from deposites with the detergent in the fuel. Our fuel is injected direct into the cylinder, so detergent or no is worthless for our vales really.

Modern engines check constantly for pre-ignition of fuel (knocking, which occurs when the fuel ignites prematurely from heat/pressure in the cylinder rather than from the spark) and will adjust to prevent it. Higher octane fuel prevents this, allowing for more power from the same amount of fuel. This means that you will get a very slight better MPG from higher octane fuel. This helps offset the cost, but considering the overall price difference, it is not huge.

At $3.129 a gallon for high octane, you would pay ~$50 for a 16 gallong fuel up (roughly our tank dead empty). Say you gas up once a week, over a year you would spend ~$2,603 for gas.

For lower octane we'll say it's only $3.029 a gallon. Using the same amounts, at the end of the year you have paid $2,520 for gas. You used a lower grade and got less MPG out of it by a small amount, had less power in a sports sedan for an entire year - all to say $83 dollars.

Not worth it to pay $50K for a car and skimp on the fuel.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Some interesting info about gasoline brands and detergent additives - it looks dense but it's actually a quick read.
Thanks for sharing (and congrats on the order). Very interesting info, if it's accurate. Anyone here alternating gas brands every 5,000 mi, or doing the 5,000/1,000 method?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yes.

Many here use only top tier, highest octane fuel. Though it's more for a performance issue and that it really doesn't save you that much money using a lesser grade. Since we have Direct Injection (DI) engines, there is no injector washing fuel spray over the intake valves, which cleans them from deposites with the detergent in the fuel. Our fuel is injected direct into the cylinder, so detergent or no is worthless for our vales really.

Modern engines check constantly for pre-ignition of fuel (knocking, which occurs when the fuel ignites prematurely from heat/pressure in the cylinder rather than from the spark) and will adjust to prevent it. Higher octane fuel prevents this, allowing for more power from the same amount of fuel. This means that you will get a very slight better MPG from higher octane fuel. This helps offset the cost, but considering the overall price difference, it is not huge.

At $3.129 a gallon for high octane, you would pay ~$50 for a 16 gallong fuel up (roughly our tank dead empty). Say you gas up once a week, over a year you would spend ~$2,603 for gas.

For lower octane we'll say it's only $3.029 a gallon. Using the same amounts, at the end of the year you have paid $2,520 for gas. You used a lower grade and got less MPG out of it by a small amount, had less power in a sports sedan for an entire year - all to say $83 dollars.

Not worth it to pay $50K for a car and skimp on the fuel.
+1. Good summary NWS4Guy. I also only use Top Tier gas. I wish I could find some higher octane around the PNW though!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Always appreciate your POV NWS4Guy! So why then does Audi recommend TOP Tier Detergent Gasoline on pg 252 of the manual? They provide the www.toptiergas.com link and then make reference to carbon deposits, etc. They seem to suggest that these particular additives will help maintain performance over time.

If it's all (or mostly) about the octane, then why not go with "non-Top Tier" 94 octane over Top Tier 93 octane?

In practical terms, near me, Shell (Top Tier) has 93. Sonoco (not Top Tier in the U.S.) has 94. Which one would you use?

(Shell also happens to be close by, whereas Sunoco is a drive -- but that's another story).
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Many here use only top tier, highest octane fuel.
BTW, by "highest octane" do you mean 94, or the highest octane Top Tier you can find (which I'm guessing may be 93 -- near me, the highest Top Tier appears to be 93)? I too am unaware of a Top Tier 94 octane option...
Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
Thanks for sharing (and congrats on the order). Very interesting info, if it's accurate. Anyone here alternating gas brands every 5,000 mi, or doing the 5,000/1,000 method?
Yeah, I can't make any claims for the truth of it, I just found it googling around, but it seemed to make sense.

And thanks for the congrats, I am beside myself with excitement, I feel like I did as a kid on Christmas Eve - "C'mon, Christmas, GET HERE!!"
Old 04-25-2010, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
BTW, by "highest octane" do you mean 94, or the highest octane Top Tier you can find (which I'm guessing may be 93 -- near me, the highest Top Tier appears to be 93)? I too am unaware of a Top Tier 94 octane option...
Not too far (~20 miles) from here there's a drag strip and the gas station next door sells 100 octane racing fuel but I bet it's not top tier. I wonder what the pluses/minuses of using that fuel would be (aside from the 40 mile round trip to get it!).
Old 04-25-2010, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadToRome
Not too far (~20 miles) from here there's a drag strip and the gas station next door sells 100 octane racing fuel but I bet it's not top tier. I wonder what the pluses/minuses of using that fuel would be (aside from the 40 mile round trip to get it!).
Be careful when buying race fuel from the track or near track.... I say this because some tracks will sell 100 octane but it is leaded and will ruin your cats. The track by me that I race at sells 100 leaded but not 100 unleaded, go figure. Fortunately, I can get 100 octane unleaded at 2-3 stations within 20 miles of my house. I always run it on my B5 S4 with the 100 octane tune from APR....

Oh personally I prefer shell over sunoco even though it is 93 v 94 octane, use it in my wifes A4. later Ron

Quick Reply: TOP TIER Detergent Gas?