S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Unique navigation search

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique navigation search

I was using my navi to find an address over the weekend, but the address was sort of unique. The address was in a format like:

5W230 Main Street

I couldn't find a way to enter in an address street number like this. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a trick to entering an address like this?

I tried to do a search in the forum, but really didn't know what to call this.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

I hate stupid addresses like that.

I came across an address once like 55 1/2 street. How do you enter a half into a address. Why would this address even exist? lol
Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I hear ya! With a 1/2 address, you would at least end up close to your destination.

With my odd address, I had to enter in the first number and skip the direction and second number. I finally found the address, but it was over 3 miles away from where the navi sent me.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:11 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

lol that sucks
Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The notion of using a **** to enter an address is so antiquated that I try to avoid it at all costs. Sometimes I'll look up the address on my smartphone and then click on the location on the MMI to navigate there.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Steven Lin
The notion of using a **** to enter an address is so antiquated that I try to avoid it at all costs. Sometimes I'll look up the address on my smartphone and then click on the location on the MMI to navigate there.
I can tolerate using the **** to enter in the address...but using my example above, after entering in the "5", there were no additional options to enter in "W" or any additional address information.

The navi in our '09 Acura MDX lets you enter in addresses that have numbers and directions (within the numbers). I would hope that can be done on the Audi too.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yes, I understood and sympathize.

What address does the MMI display if you click on the actual location? I'm wondering if the MMI does not store non-standard addresses or if it does not support the input of the same.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

you sure it wasn't SW not 5W?

i.e. south-west

Or maybe it was 230 and the appartment/unit was 5W.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am just giving an example of the address, but there are lots of unincorporated address in the Chicago burbs that have address numbers like: 2N351 or 5W410 or 6E280

You can type addresses like this in Google maps, Mapquest and my iPhone...

I didn't try clicking on the actual location since I was really using the navi to help me find the address.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by carguyrob
I can tolerate using the **** to enter in the address...but using my example above, after entering in the "5", there were no additional options to enter in "W" or any additional address information.

The navi in our '09 Acura MDX lets you enter in addresses that have numbers and directions (within the numbers). I would hope that can be done on the Audi too.
Wow - weird coincidences here:

I work near Streamwood, and recently tried to enter a similar address, likewise with no luck. I also tried using voice commands, but that was full of fail, too (like most voice commands in the Audi).

We also own an MDX ('08 in our case) and yep, this type of address is doable in that vehicle.

I'll just say that Audi (and the other German manufacturers) should just license Garmin's or TomTom's Nav OS and leave it at that.

Quick Reply: Unique navigation search