S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Water pump explanation, compensation from AoA

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump explanation, compensation from AoA

I just had the water pump failure (2010 S4, took deliver Dec 2009, ~10500 miles at failure.) Luckily it happened in my driveway, so I could hang out at home for the flatbed, which came along in only an hour.

After calling Roadside Assistance and the dealer, I immediately called Audi Customer Service. I explained, calmly and politely but firmly, that I had searched online and seen that over half of the people with 2010 S4s built before 3/10 or so had seen water pump failures, and I that though it was unacceptable that Audi was letting me drive around with a ticking time bomb, even though I had been lucky. I stressed that this was my first Audi, and that I did not have positive feelings towards the brand.

Today, two days later, I received a call back from Audi of America. The representative explained that they initially issued the RVU (Required Vehicle Update) in early October 2010 to proactively switch out water pumps on some VINs. Then, in late October as the weather cooled, the pumps failed on more vehicles than they were expecting (apparently cold weather precipitates the problem), and they realized that they did not have enough water pumps in stock to proactively replace all vehicles. They switched to only replacing failed pumps until they could build up enough stock to proactively replaced them.

I said that I understood, but was still not pleased about not being informed and about driving around a vehicle that could have had a dangerous problem. He replied, reasonably, that Audi felt stuck between a rock and a hard place, as announcing the problem would cause a wave of people rushing to dealers trying to get a new pump. I replied that, despite it all, I still wasn't pleased.

He went on to explain that Audi is offering compensation to those affected. He first asked if I had Audicare, which I do. He said that in that case they would extend an offer for free Audicare on my next Audi. He also said that, in response to concerns about low coolant damaging the engine, that the powertrain warranty was being extended to 5 years/100,000 miles from 4 years/50,000 miles. Finally, he said that additional loyalty incentives would be extended in the case of buying another Audi. All these things will be contained in a letter sent to my address.

After all this (which he described as the standard offer), he said that AoA would send me a check for one monthly payment, delivered to my house or direct to Audi Financial Services, either way. He verified my monthly payment amount and my address, and said he would call when the check was in the mail.

After this offer, I told him that I was feeling much more positive about Audi as a brand than before we had the conversation.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure you get this in writing from Audi otherwise its a game of he said/she said.....
Old 01-12-2011, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Whao....good work, great result 'V's any other). Wonder will this be a precedent that AoA have to follow w/all other past and future claimants???
Old 01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yet somehow they have enough new pumps for the NEW cars being pumped out in the highest demand banner year ever for Audi. Good show, take care of your current bottome line and hope the loyalty owners will not find out?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
Make sure you get this in writing from Audi otherwise its a game of he said/she said.....
Oh yes, I definitely asked for it in writing. That was the first thing that I said after he listed the initial offer.

I suspect from this conversation that people who did not have Audicare could get an offer for Audicare on their current car, he made the monthly payment offer because I already have it.

I don't know why other people seem to have less luck than I did with my complaints.

I can understand not having enough water pumps initially, but it's been three months now, how hard can it be to do the right thing?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually Audi has known about it for over a year (search my posts about water pumps and see).
Old 01-12-2011, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by skiracerblah
I had a similar call from AOA. It was unsolicited by the way. They called me after my water pump mishap. Except it was a she. I did not ask for it in writing, but got a check for Audicare.

Bruce
Old 01-12-2011, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Yet somehow they have enough new pumps for the NEW cars being pumped out in the highest demand banner year ever for Audi. Good show, take care of your current bottome line and hope the loyalty owners will not find out?
It's amazing how stupid Audi has been about this. but when you consider that a few hundred bucks and some discounts on a car they might not even buy makes owners happy, maybe Audi's not so stupid after all (at least when it comes to the current bottom line).
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is all true. My SA told me the same story yesterday. He checked to see if my A6 was covered and was then told by Audi that I will not recieve compensation via audicare. He was told that because I have a 2009 model, it did not apply to me. My water pump blew in December 2009. Apparenlty it was 2010+ deal...sweet.

However, I plan on calling Audi of America and explaining my situation. We have two Audis, I've had several issues (though I still love my car). When my water pump blew, I was without a car or loaner for almost a week. When a defective oil filter let oil drain out of my car, I was left without a car for a week and then had to have my girlfriend drive me 130 miles to the dealership which my car was towed to.

I hope they want to make me happy!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John Thacker
I just had the water pump failure (2010 S4, took deliver Dec 2009, ~10500 miles at failure.) Luckily it happened in my driveway, so I could hang out at home for the flatbed, which came along in only an hour.

After calling Roadside Assistance and the dealer, I immediately called Audi Customer Service. I explained, calmly and politely but firmly, that I had searched online and seen that over half of the people with 2010 S4s built before 3/10 or so had seen water pump failures, and I that though it was unacceptable that Audi was letting me drive around with a ticking time bomb, even though I had been lucky. I stressed that this was my first Audi, and that I did not have positive feelings towards the brand.

Today, two days later, I received a call back from Audi of America. The representative explained that they initially issued the RVU (Required Vehicle Update) in early October 2010 to proactively switch out water pumps on some VINs. Then, in late October as the weather cooled, the pumps failed on more vehicles than they were expecting (apparently cold weather precipitates the problem), and they realized that they did not have enough water pumps in stock to proactively replace all vehicles. They switched to only replacing failed pumps until they could build up enough stock to proactively replaced them.

I said that I understood, but was still not pleased about not being informed and about driving around a vehicle that could have had a dangerous problem. He replied, reasonably, that Audi felt stuck between a rock and a hard place, as announcing the problem would cause a wave of people rushing to dealers trying to get a new pump. I replied that, despite it all, I still wasn't pleased.

He went on to explain that Audi is offering compensation to those affected. He first asked if I had Audicare, which I do. He said that in that case they would extend an offer for free Audicare on my next Audi. He also said that, in response to concerns about low coolant damaging the engine, that the powertrain warranty was being extended to 5 years/100,000 miles from 4 years/50,000 miles. Finally, he said that additional loyalty incentives would be extended in the case of buying another Audi. All these things will be contained in a letter sent to my address.

After all this (which he described as the standard offer), he said that AoA would send me a check for one monthly payment, delivered to my house or direct to Audi Financial Services, either way. He verified my monthly payment amount and my address, and said he would call when the check was in the mail.

After this offer, I told him that I was feeling much more positive about Audi as a brand than before we had the conversation.

If it has inconvenienced you in any way, it never hurts to ask for compensation. Most of the time I just want a loaner but all the power to ya if if it has been a major inconvenience. It never hurts to ask. I am a big believer in "the Squeaky wheel gets the grease." I dont always complain but when i do, 95% of the time I get some compensation. One thing i noticed about AUDI, they try to make it right. My previous short lived A4 resulted in an invoice price on an S4 with every penny spent on the pre-owned A4 (incluyding tax and tag) applied to the S4. Plus, AUDI just took care of me on my S4 on another issue but I cant brag until i actually see the car when it gets here

Last edited by GR8-LIFE; 01-13-2011 at 06:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Water pump explanation, compensation from AoA