S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

West Coast Audis going to Port of Houston

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default West Coast Audis going to Port of Houston

Gents,

I thought I'd start a new thread on this, because the topic came up yesterday in another thread somewhere and this might promote some discussion. I know that a few of us are waiting on our S4s and were not sure where they'd be entering the US if they were bound for the West Coast.

I just spoke with Audi Customer Relations and got a little more information about what's going on with the west coast ports of entry. According to the representative, they are not using San Diego anymore...they are using Houston. All cars headed to the West Coast of the United States will ship to Houston, and will be either railed or trucked depending on final location. She did not know how long this has been going on, but said she thought it was a recent change due to cost analysis (its faster and cheaper to get to Houston and use truck/rail instead of taking the boat all the way to San Diego).

They told me that my car left Germany yesterday (19 April), and will arrive to Houston on 10 May and will be railed to Seattle in order to arrive to the dealer NLT 17 May. That's pretty FAST! Only 21 days on the boat, and then 7 days to get it offloaded and railed to the Northwest. I know that Audi is usually a bit conservative on dates, so I'm hoping it might even be a couple days earlier.

I should add that I was disappointed that they could not tell me which boat my car is on. I thought that they'd know this information...anyone have suggestions?

If you are expecting a car on the west coast, give Audi Customer Relations a call at 1-800-822-2834 and select option 4. Ask the representative where your car is headed.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Cars going to the Seattle area have entered at Houston for some time now - at least since last fall. From there, it will come by rail or by truck to the Seattle area. If rail, then the time to dealer is upwards of 2 weeks. If truck, then it can be closer to a week.

If your car is actually being railed to Seattle, no way it will arrive in 7 days. My experience was: arrive in Houston, 2 days sitting in port before released to trucking, 7 days trucking to Seattle.

I know one of the Seattle area dealers is requesting all cars be trucked because it's a bit quicker. Don't know about the other ones.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason I'm glad I live in Houston
Old 04-20-2010, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My dealer charged me a $200 fee for the port of san diego. I better get that 'ish back if this is true.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Cars going to the Seattle area have entered at Houston for some time now - at least since last fall. From there, it will come by rail or by truck to the Seattle area. If rail, then the time to dealer is upwards of 2 weeks. If truck, then it can be closer to a week.

If your car is actually being railed to Seattle, no way it will arrive in 7 days. My experience was: arrive in Houston, 2 days sitting in port before released to trucking, 7 days trucking to Seattle.

I know one of the Seattle area dealers is requesting all cars be trucked because it's a bit quicker. Don't know about the other ones.
Must be by truck then if they said 7 days. I'm surprised Audi doesn't have port of entry information or a more robust order tracking system like BMW.

Originally Posted by westwest888
My dealer charged me a $200 fee for the port of san diego. I better get that 'ish back if this is true.
Call your SA!!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting news if true. So now all CA cars ship to Houston which in theory will make it easier to do port dealer trades with CA dealers. It's much easier to find the cars you want that are going to CA dealers.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts

Interesting, Honda just inked a deal to send cars into the Port of Richmond, CA and the port of Richmond, CA is trying to entice Toyota. I think the Port of Benicia, CA was a incoming port for Toyota at one time.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
What other BS fees did they add? Your paying $825 for destination charge, you shouldn't be charged anymore... pure dealer greed and profit.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
What other BS fees did they add? Your paying $825 for destination charge, you shouldn't be charged anymore... pure dealer greed and profit.
The car still has to get from Germany to North America...I'd say that the destination charge is at least somewhat legitimate. And the money is going to corporate Audi, not the dealer.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4.2Avant
I think he meant shouldn't be charged more on top of the $825...
You're right! I misinterpreted his post. Thanks!

Quick Reply: West Coast Audis going to Port of Houston