S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What are best 19" winter tires for S4 please?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are best 19" winter tires for S4 please?

I'm considering the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. They have a 30,000 mile mileage warranty, which is great, but they are much more expensive then Blizzak or Dunlop Winter Sport. Thoughts?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're in Quebec or Ontario check out PMC Tire. They have free (and very fast) shipping plus the best price on PA4's I could find.

PS - outside of colour it looks like we have the same car.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

IMO...

Best in Snow/Ice = Nokian Hakkapelliita R2's.

Bought these for my S4 and had them mounted a couple weeks ago. I'm very satisfied with the dry and wet performance...they have just a bit of tire squirm in warmer temps, and a little more sidewall flex than the Conti summer tires. However,they absorb impacts better and are very quiet. No snow yet so final judgement will have to wait. Had R1's before and they were just fantastic in snow/ice.

Best Dry/Wet Performance= Michelin Pilot Alpine 4. Great reviews but I have no direct experience.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sworksone
If you're in Quebec or Ontario check out PMC Tire. They have free (and very fast) shipping plus the best price on PA4's I could find.

PS - outside of colour it looks like we have the same car.
I actually almost went with Glacier white but changed to Phantom Black last minute. Both colours looks great so it was a toss up for me. I checked PMC Tire and the price is okay, but much cheaper to just order from US. Discount Tire Direct will send me the same tires for almost $300 cheaper, delivered!
Old 11-17-2013, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by paTTsfan
I actually almost went with Glacier white but changed to Phantom Black last minute. Both colours looks great so it was a toss up for me. I checked PMC Tire and the price is okay, but much cheaper to just order from US. Discount Tire Direct will send me the same tires for almost $300 cheaper, delivered!
Looks like memory didn't serve! I just checked again and the tires would only be $60 cheaper from the US. Not much of a difference, but if I have to get them delivered anyway, not sure there's any advantage to purchasing from one place over another.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Dunlop Wintersport

I live in CO and ski often. These are my 4th pair: the best for dry performance / snow / slush combo. The combination of Quattro with these tires are unbeatable!
Old 11-18-2013, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just two things to consider: Be careful about duties (I've been burned on this before) and I'm not sure if the $70 mail in rebate would apply if to get them from the US?
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm considering the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. They have a 30,000 mile mileage warranty, which is great, but they are much more expensive then Blizzak or Dunlop Winter Sport. Thoughts?
I saw this link posted somewhere on the forum and I saved it. Hopefully this helps

https://i.imgur.com/Tn3hm.jpg
Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRMick
IMO...

Best in Snow/Ice = Nokian Hakkapelliita R2's.

Best Dry/Wet Performance= Michelin Pilot Alpine 4. Great reviews but I have no direct experience.
Agreed.

I researched this a month ago to get tires for my S4 and ended up going with the PA4s. Based on what I read the Nokian was a superior tire when you are actually in snow/ice but for dry situations you were better off with the PA4. The PA4 is still supposed to be excellent in snow/ice conditions and just seemed like a better all around fit, even in new england with decent snowfall.

If you are constantly driving in snow then I'd consider the Nokian Hakkapelliita R2's but odds are the PA4 are the tires you want.

In another month I could probably tell you how they do in snow but we haven't gotten any here yet...
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I too am considering PA4's or Xice3's from Michelin for my '14 s4 with 18" OEM rims.

Any updates on other's experience or recommendations appreciated.

New England driver - drive between MA and VT frequently.

Quick Reply: What are best 19" winter tires for S4 please?