S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I had the cash, S4, no question. I think it's a much better deal with the residual fixed at $17,400 as noted
Old 10-01-2013, 08:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRMick
If I had the cash, S4, no question. I think it's a much better deal with the residual fixed at $17,400 as noted
Thank you all for your replied. Would there be any issues with resale in 2-3 years down the road? Ideally I'd like to think that I don't want to switch cars for 4 years. At that point I should be in my finance option that I would do for $17,4XX + the taxes that I would pay. Been looking around the values of both S4 & A4. The S4s definitely hold up value better, no question, but this would be a stripped down S4. No Nav, just the metallic paint, alacantara seats, B&O sound and the Sport Diff.. I know carmax will take any car you take them, but realistically should I be worried about losing the $5k-$6k I put down?

On the contrary, if I go with the A4, am I correct to assume the resale value will fetch me close to $2-$3k if I buy and resell? After all, in both cases, I would be buying a 2 year old car for $17,400 and then selling it a year later.

Also I should mention this car would be my daily driver. My current commute is about 17 miles one-way. I'm not too worried about Gas at this point. Used to drive a 135i and it also gave me 25-26mpgs. It was a manual and miraculously sometimes I was able to get 29mpgs out of it! But it was hardly spirited driving
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Well obviously I had the choice and I chose the S4. The primary reason above all others was the lack of a V6 in the A4. I utterly HATED the 4 banger in the A4. It was slow, and noisy and vibrated too much. Engine noise was almost identical to my mom's toyota Rav 4.

You definitely want the sport diff, and get the adaptive suspension if you can.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 10-01-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

My opinion, regardless of the options, or lack there of, the S4 is going to hold value better. I think the better value retention will more than cover the additional down money. If you can buy a 2 year old S4 for $17,400 plus tax and fees, it's a GREAT deal.

And, as pointed out by others, the S4 will also be much more entertaining/rewarding while you are driving it.

However, I would definitely confirm that the new contract residual value was still fixed at the value noted. With the S4, they could just be subsidizing the lease with a very high residual to keep the monthly payments the same as your CC. They would then be using the $5085 payment as a cap. cost reduction and this would be lost at the end of the lease.

As a side note, we bought a 2013 CC Sport for my daughter back in April 2012...black with two tone interior and DSG. It has been a fantastic car for her with zero problems to date and 23,000 miles on the odometer. Sorry to hear of the problems with your CC. It sucks when you get excited about a new vehicle only to have ongoing problems.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

OP: Be absolutely sure that your residual, lease term balance and other lease terms will remain the same for the S4. Ensure your responsibility for the VW is completely ended. Check the agreement carefully before signing anything. A verbal promise is one thing but, obviously, the contract is what's binding. Try to get a copy of the new agreement beforehand so you have time to carefully read it and compare it to your original lease.

I'm not saying that there's anything malicious here but it's always a good idea to be careful.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GRMick
However, I would definitely confirm that the new contract residual value was still fixed at the value noted. With the S4, they could just be subsidizing the lease with a very high residual to keep the monthly payments the same as your CC. They would then be using the $5085 payment as a cap. cost reduction and this would be lost at the end of the lease.
I'm both a bit confused and scared by this statement. The offer letter I received states, "The replacement transaction will be considered a substitution of collateral with your lien holder, pending their approval. Ther terms of your contract, including the monthly payments and contract period, will remain the same." Furthermore, I've been assured that even though they give me an Audi, I continue to make payments to VW Financial. There won't be a new account/contract set up with Audi Financial.

As a side note, we bought a 2013 CC Sport for my daughter back in April 2012...black with two tone interior and DSG. It has been a fantastic car for her with zero problems to date and 23,000 miles on the odometer. Sorry to hear of the problems with your CC. It sucks when you get excited about a new vehicle only to have ongoing problems.
My sis drives a 12 VW CC, a reason why I went with the 13 CC Lux. My sis has had no issues with the car and in the past 2-3 months, my car was at the dealership for more than 33 days and when I got the car back it still wasn't fixed properly. Needless to say it got annoying!

Originally Posted by snagitseven
OP: Be absolutely sure that your residual, lease term balance and other lease terms will remain the same for the S4. Ensure your responsibility for the VW is completely ended. Check the agreement carefully before signing anything. A verbal promise is one thing but, obviously, the contract is what's binding. Try to get a copy of the new agreement beforehand so you have time to carefully read it and compare it to your original lease.

I'm not saying that there's anything malicious here but it's always a good idea to be careful.
Thank you for the sound advice. I will seek out to them and ask me to explain everything in detail to me. I wouldn't want any surprises at the end of the lease. They have been very professional and fair so far, so I expect them to continue being that way. I will definitely make sure that everything is in check before I sign the papers.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
Well obviously I had the choice and I chose the S4. The primary reason above all others was the lack of a V6 in the A4. I utterly HATED the 4 banger in the A4. It was slow, and noisy and vibrated too much. Engine noise was almost identical to my mom's toyota Rav 4.

You definitely want the sport diff, and get the adaptive suspension if you can.
Thank you. I wish I could, but at this point, $6k out of pocket will be a push, let alone the $7k. I drove one without the Sport Diff. and it felt good. With the all season tires on 18" wheels, will I have issues in snow? I do live in Cleveland after all
Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssedha
Ultimately in the end, it's down to paying $5k vs. nothing. ..

Thoughts??
Seems like you answered you own question here...
Old 10-02-2013, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ssedha
I'm both a bit confused and scared by this statement. The offer letter I received states, "The replacement transaction will be considered a substitution of collateral with your lien holder, pending their approval. Ther terms of your contract, including the monthly payments and contract period, will remain the same." Furthermore, I've been assured that even though they give me an Audi, I continue to make payments to VW Financial. There won't be a new account/contract set up with Audi Financial.
I too would be concerned that there is no mention of the residual remaining unchanged in the offer letter. To me, it reads as if they will satisfy your current lease and maintain the monthly payment amount along with other terms like mileage, etc.. As to the "contract period will remain the same", it doesn't say if the new lease will use the original, 36 month time period or the time period remaining as is currently. In other words, does the lease reset and start from the beginning with a new 36 months or does it resume as is with the time left as of the transaction date? I can't tell from the statement. I would call them to clarify these things before proceding further. Based on what you learn, it could affect your whole decision making process and resulting future financial liability.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-02-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having been in similar shoes some two years ago, that is having to make a decision between purchasing an A4 SLine Premium Plus and an S4 Premium Plus (Canadian cars), and ultimatley deciding to purchase the A4, I have no regrets.

I put both vehicles through their paces in test drives and while the S4 had more power (1 of only 2 relevant noticable differences between it and the A4) I was quite happy with the fun factor, ride and handling the A4 in Dynamic Mode delivered (would this be the same as Sport Package in US?) - and it was 8k less. For me it was a no brainer.

I hope this helps feed your thought process - in the end, to each his own.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What would you do?