S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2019 delays...any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Odis

Audi Oakland asked for a 10% deposit. He also said if I didn’t take the car, they would only refund if and when they sold the car! I have never heard of this. I said no thank you and $1,000 and fully refundable at any time is reasonable to me. He then said he would look dumb asking his manager for that. I really could not believe this is normal practice.
Assuming you didn’t order a weird color combination, that’s pretty outrageous. My dealer never asked for a down payment. I paid in full just before leaving for Europe and the European delivery.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I put $500 down recently for an S5 SB order. You should have told the salesman to go %$^# himself and walked out for even making that request. I'm sure there are plenty of other Audi dealers in the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by lowjdml

Assuming you didn’t order a weird color combination, that’s pretty outrageous. My dealer never asked for a down payment. I paid in full just before leaving for Europe and the European delivery.
Yeah. It was a pretty crazy request. Ibis White, Black interior. Premium Plus. Maybe it was the all weather mats that pushed it over the top!
Old 01-26-2019, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Audi Oakland asked for a 10% deposit. He also said if I didn’t take the car, they would only refund if and when they sold the car! I have never heard of this. I said no thank you and $1,000 and fully refundable at any time is reasonable to me. He then said he would look dumb asking his manager for that. I really could not believe this is normal practice.
Oh, Audi of Oakland. Deposits are refundable in CA by law. Unless you sign a waiver, they have to refund it to you when you back out. I haven't stepped foot in there for a while. I used to have my old S4 serviced there, which was fine. Their service manager was from Germany, not sure if he is still there. The sales department is a joke, though. The whole place doesn't look very appealing for starters. I was there in 2012 when I was shopping for my RS5. They gave me the same line, 10% deposit and tried to tell me the RS5 wasn't available for European Delivery, but they had one inbound with almost all the options I was looking for. Needless to say I walked, and went to Audi Concord where none of these games were played. I was somewhat disappointed seeing that Audi Concord was marking up the new RS5 coupe when it came out. I hate dealerships like that. I'm still servicing my current car at Audi Concord, though. They have come through for me multiple times and saved me a ton of money on repairs. I'm still inclined to recommend them. I haven't talked to any sales person there in a while, though, but I know the GM and worked directly with him on my RS5 European Delivery back in 2013.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by superswiss
Oh, Audi of Oakland. Deposits are refundable in CA by law. Unless you sign a waiver, they have to refund it to you when you back out. I haven't stepped foot in there for a while. I used to have my old S4 serviced there, which was fine. Their service manager was from Germany, not sure if he is still there. The sales department is a joke, though. The whole place doesn't look very appealing for starters. I was there in 2012 when I was shopping for my RS5. They gave me the same line, 10% deposit and tried to tell me the RS5 wasn't available for European Delivery, but they had one inbound with almost all the options I was looking for. Needless to say I walked, and went to Audi Concord where none of these games were played. I was somewhat disappointed seeing that Audi Concord was marking up the new RS5 coupe when it came out. I hate dealerships like that. I'm still servicing my current car at Audi Concord, though. They have come through for me multiple times and saved me a ton of money on repairs. I'm still inclined to recommend them. I haven't talked to any sales person there in a while, though, but I know the GM and worked directly with him on my RS5 European Delivery back in 2013.
Thanks for providing some history there. Sounds like this is typical of them. He said it was a special order. He would refund it once the car sold if I had changed my mind. I don’t intend to walk away, but you never know right? You have to aske these questions.

As far as pricing with them, same run around. He said even though I had the ACNA 6%, that was the same as their invoice. He can’t make money by buying something and selling it to me at the same price. It would make no sense. He said he would do me a favor and split the difference to do 3% off MSRP. The guy was crazy. I can’t stand those intimidation tactics. Concord sounds like a reasonable place to work with. You need to build trust with a client even if you can’t be the most competitive on the price. Sound s ike they have made it up with the servicing. Was the coupe really that hard to get back then? Other Bay Area dealers could not offer better?

I would have done European delivery on this if I could. Sad they killed the program.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Quote:

Thanks for providing some history there. Sounds like this is typical of them. He said it was a special order. He would refund it once the car sold if I had changed my mind. I don’t intend to walk away, but you never know right? You have to aske these questions.

As far as pricing with them, same run around. He said even though I had the ACNA 6%, that was the same as their invoice. He can’t make money by buying something and selling it to me at the same price. It would make no sense. He said he would do me a favor and split the difference to do 3% off MSRP. The guy was crazy. I can’t stand those intimidation tactics. Concord sounds like a reasonable place to work with. You need to build trust with a client even if you can’t be the most competitive on the price. Sound s ike they have made it up with the servicing. Was the coupe really that hard to get back then? Other Bay Area dealers could not offer better?

I would have done European delivery on this if I could. Sad they killed the program.
Most dealers sold the coupe for MSRP or slight discount. I think the markup on the showroom cars were just sales tactics to give the impression of high demand. The current RS5 coupe as opposed to the previous one isn't selling well, but dealers are still sticking to MSRP. Something to be aware of regarding Audi dealerships. Audi of America every year gives out the Magna Society award to the best dealerships across the nation. Around 100 dealerships get the award. Around 12 are given the Magna Society Elite award to honor the best of the best. Most Audi dealerships in CA get at least the Magna Society award. Audi of Oakland hasn't been one of them at least in the recent years I've been paying attention to it. Audi Concord was consistently one of the 12 Magna Society Elite dealerships, except for 2017 and that's because they changed ownership. The award rules state that the dealership has to be under same ownership for the entire year, so they weren't eligible. The awards come out in April, so I'm curious how Audi Concord fared for 2018, either way I would go with one of the dealership on the Magna Award list.

https://media.audiusa.com/en-us/releases/238

Last edited by superswiss; 01-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 99 Posts

Odis and Superswiss re: Concord
In December I bought from Concord and they had to do a dealer trade for the car in Oregon, I told them I'd fork over for one way transportation which was $700. Right off the bat on first request they asked for invoice ~6% and they did ask for a unknown deposit and the same conditions as Odis, to which I agreed. When it came down that Oregon would trade with them, I went to Concord to test drive a SQ5 that they showed in stock and the packages I must have since I had never driven one before. They couldn't find the car until they found out it was Tim Lofano's own car ( the current GM of Concord) and he let me drive it and talked to me about certain packages. After that I was going to give them the deposit but then they declined to take it. ( From the Sales Managers mouth)
I took possession of it at the end of December and was pretty thrilled by Concord Audi's lack of "tactics and bs". The other Audi we have we got from them in 17 and both are purchases and not leases.
It had to be red, sport package, prestige and 20" wheels. Not too many of these exist because of the color,wheel size and it being prestige in the whole USA. I never shopped around by talking to other dealers, that's just me.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Weebl
In December I bought from Concord and they had to do a dealer trade for the car in Oregon, I told them I'd fork over for one way transportation which was $700. Right off the bat on first request they asked for invoice ~6% and they did ask for a unknown deposit and the same conditions as Odis, to which I agreed. When it came down that Oregon would trade with them, I went to Concord to test drive a SQ5 that they showed in stock and the packages I must have since I had never driven one before. They couldn't find the car until they found out it was Tim Lofano's own car ( the current GM of Concord) and he let me drive it and talked to me about certain packages. After that I was going to give them the deposit but then they declined to take it. ( From the Sales Managers mouth)
I took possession of it at the end of December and was pretty thrilled by Concord Audi's lack of "tactics and bs". The other Audi we have we got from them in 17 and both are purchases and not leases.
It had to be red, sport package, prestige and 20" wheels. Not too many of these exist because of the color,wheel size and it being prestige in the whole USA. I never shopped around by talking to other dealers, that's just me.
Yep, Tim is the man. He's been the GM since I've been doing business with them and he handled my European Delivery. If I was buying another Audi I would go with Concord again.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Weebl
Originally Posted by superswiss
Yep, Tim is the man. He's been the GM since I've been doing business with them and he handled my European Delivery. If I was buying another Audi I would go with Concord again.

Thank you both! Good to know there are dealers in the Bay Area that make this an enjoyable process. A new Audi should be exciting and not painful. I will reach out to them at Concord.