S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?

Can you all please post up some good quality pics of your stock interiors? I recently had a deal fall through and it has given more time to second guess my original choice. There are two exact spec'd cars on the boat and headed my way, with the only difference being the interior trim. They are the exact car that I would spec out, so I have really lucked out. I originally thought I wanted the aluminum trim, but the more I look at photos, the tougher my decision gets. And, the photos that I have to look at are either in bad lighting, bad angles, or the stock rendered image from the website. I have only seen one S4 with the aluminum trim, and that was a year ago. There aren't any S4/S5's in my area with that trim for me to go look at, every single car has carbon. I also recently read that the aluminum scratches very easily and is almost impossible to repair when scratched. I have read that some people have wrapped their trim, to help prevent scratches. Have any of you done that? So, back to my reason for this post. I would like to hear from you and see some quality pics, regarding the wear and tear and/or durability of your trim. My thoughts on the aluminum: looks a little more classic and brightens up the all black interior, but it may be a little mundane and it also may scratch too easily. Thoughts on the carbon: it offers a more modern and stylish look, and may be more durable or scratch resistant (or at least hide the scratches better), but it makes the interior much darker, and "is it just kind of the "it" thing right now?". They both look great, so it's a really tough decision. All your help and input is appreciated. ..... I apologize for rambling on.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

I have an S5 but it's pretty much the same interior. The aluminum brightens up the interior and I haven't had any issues with it scratching.
Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?-puhpnc2.jpg
Attachment 102140
Old 06-07-2018, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had originally speced the aluminum inlays, but switched to carbon atlas when I saw both in person and saw several reports of the aluminum getting dented. I wasn't quite as worried about scratches, but dents would be a lot more obvious to me. The carbon atlas trim does blend in, so appearance-wise it really depends on whether you like the two-tone look that the aluminum brings.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a fan of carbon fiber in general, but I saw it in an S car and ordered it in my 2018 S4. I'm happy with the decision: It looks great and holds up very well.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by rccoleman
I had originally speced the aluminum inlays, but switched to carbon atlas when I saw both in person and saw several reports of the aluminum getting dented. I wasn't quite as worried about scratches, but dents would be a lot more obvious to me. The carbon atlas trim does blend in, so appearance-wise it really depends on whether you like the two-tone look that the aluminum brings.
+1 to all of this except what I struck.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went with aluminum and now it's pretty scratched on the passenger side. My wife realized when she got in with her purse, anything metal on the outside of it can easily scratch the aluminum. I wish there were other options such as various woods because I thought the carbon was too dark with the rest of the black interior. If I did it again, I would probably have gotten the carbon due to the durability issues.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I have aluminium on an S5. There is a tiny scratch on the drivers door from where my fitbit probably hit it. I still prefer it over carbon though because it's more of a matte finish and I don't like glossy finishes in the car.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

I've had both and going back to Carbon because the aluminum is too bright and still reflects sunlight even though it's satin. Scratches on the aluminum require re-brushing while the high gloss clear on the Carbon can be polished.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have aluminum brushed inlays and I just got a small scratch next to center console. It's hardly noticeable unless you look for it, but I am bothered by it.

I decided to see if Audi can replace it with the carbon fiber trim and here's their quote:

$360 each - For Center console and the big piece below A/C
$266 - to the right of steering wheel
$250 each - for front doors
$260 each - for rear doors

so overall - $2016 without tax and installation fee. I am sure it will be around $2300 with everything included.

they said the parts are more expensive than if you get it when you first order the car and they all ship from germany.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all the feedback all. Can any of you post pics of the scratches on the aluminum?

Quick Reply: Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?