S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Another S4 owner - ordered

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Congratulations. Now the fun of tracking your order begins.
So my current tracking is:
  • Order Date: Aug 12th
  • Build Date: Sept 18th

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 09-14-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just got an update from the dealer that my S4 was actually put into production on Sept 1st...so most likely it's getting ready to head to the European port of Emden very soon.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

With regards to passing up on the Tech Package, how is the screen size with the smaller 7.0" screen? My brother who owns a 2013 A6 got a Premium or Premium Plus B9 A4 without Nav or VC as a loaner and he told me the screen size was small and basically ruined the interior. If you've seen F30 BMW 3-Series without the iDrive navigation, the active screen size is probably 5" and really cheapens the interior. On the Premium B9 2017 A4, you could get analog gauges with the 8.3" screen if you got the optional nav package. That's the best of both worlds in that regard, but the Premium trim lacks some of the must-have features like B&O sound.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
With regards to passing up on the Tech Package, how is the screen size with the smaller 7.0" screen? My brother who owns a 2013 A6 got a Premium or Premium Plus B9 A4 without Nav or VC as a loaner and he told me the screen size was small and basically ruined the interior. If you've seen F30 BMW 3-Series without the iDrive navigation, the active screen size is probably 5" and really cheapens the interior. On the Premium B9 2017 A4, you could get analog gauges with the 8.3" screen if you got the optional nav package. That's the best of both worlds in that regard, but the Premium trim lacks some of the must-have features like B&O sound.
Well you're comparing 2013 models to 2018 the tech/gear is lightyears ahead of where they were back then.

Looks and functions fine by me. I would suggest going into an Audi dealer and using them. For me, I just figured in general just how often are you actually going to use that screen/etc and is worth the upcharge. To me it wasn't. I used it and it looked nice and I didn't notice that much of a difference from the 8.3.

You can also see it in the build page and just go to the interior shot you can barely tell the difference (posted below 3 shots, 7", 8.3, 7" on). I've also read it's a simple swap if you wanted to order the 8.3 screen and have the dealer swap them (or you could do it). Could be a good junk yard purchase for me.

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 09-15-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am in the minority also on not getting VC, so here are some photos of my analog gauges from my "stripped down" S4 that was delivered earlier than originally expected. Again it's all personal preference, but I really like the look of the analogs.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Qbruin
I guess I am in the minority also on not getting VC, so here are some photos of my analog gauges from my "stripped down" S4 that was delivered earlier than originally expected. Again it's all personal preference, but I really like the look of the analogs.
Looks good dude. I like how you quoted "stripped down"...lol. Yah this car isn't stripped in anyway lol.

Love the look of the center screen with the real tactile gauges. Gives the console nice depth. What color did you get?

How's the interface between the gauges & the center console screen working out for you? Using both center stacks I couldn't really tell a difference other then it's just slightly smaller.

Saw this interesting tidbit from Hyundai/Kia who has the Audi designer Peter Schreyer and BMW designer Albert Biermann regarding tech on cars in general & German brands going too far with it and how it's not going to be reliable (hence my thoughts on the VC down the road). Interesting to read the stuff they put their cars vs other brands. These 2 brands have come so far in the last 10 years...it's worth listening to them..don't have to agree but I think it's a view that will become more mainstream if this high tech stuff has issues down the road.
“It’s all marketing, first of all,” Biermann said. “How many people really buy it later on? Much of this exists for media, to give a hype, to show the technology level. But how many people really buy it later on?“If the tech will fail, you’re just adding the financial burden to the buyer, right?” Biermann explained the Korean brand has focused on simple technology for its Genesis models in order to create long-term reliable vehicles. He says Hyundai chairman, Chung Mong-koo, wants all Hyundai and Genesis models to be “like new” after 10 years on the road.To achieve that, all Hyundai, Genesis and Kia models are tested to tougher standards that European cars, according to Biermann. “Our testing is much more intense,” he said. “We have 30,000km test driving in [Hyundai’s research and development headquarters] Namyang, with all the bad cobblestones and potholes you cannot imagine. We run our cars there for 30,000km, and then on top of that we do 10,000km at the Nurburgring."I don’t think anyone else is doing that anymore – maybe Porsche or Ferrari, but all the other guys they’ve stepped down from 10,000km to 8000km or 5000km. And some, they do nothing anymore.”
My car is in route and was built sooner then expected also.

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 09-21-2017 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Stripped down" relative to everyone else's Prestige or P+ with NAV, S Sport, etc. since I ordered my car with minimal options: Ibis with Black Optic Pkg, Black Nappa. The car is not a lease and I may keep it for 5-10 years, so I didn't want to potentially have outdated technology and/or have to pay for Audi Connect for that long. The interface and center console screen is working out fine for the limited amount of time spent in the car so far. However, I must admit that I have a 2015 Q5 3.0 with no NAV, backup camera, or parking sensors, so this is a big step up in tech for me! A bigger center console would be nice, but the smaller one works okay. I'm just trying to decide if I need a phone mount.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

About to pull the trigger on an order myself:

S4 Premium Plus
Daytona Grey
Black Nappa
Sport Package
19" V Spokes

I probably won't ever use the extra goodies in the Sport Pack in my daily driving, but I have to have the 19" wheels, and since they're grey, the contrasting red calipers add a nice bit of contrast to the Daytona paint/ grey wheel combo ~ I know that's a lot to pay for about 10 ozs of red paint, but yolo. (I could waffle on this and delete it before I go in on Saturday to look at numbers, and put a deposit down, who knows- I'll sleep on it)

I think I definitely did talk myself out of the Tech pack though~ I just know I'd set the VC to Classic view and never change it. I guess the Nav and a bigger screen would be nice, but I can use apple car play for nav, and since the screen is stationary, and doesn't recess (something I didn't think I could get past when it was announced a couple years ago) a smaller one seems less intrusive.

Hopefully I will not be spending what seems like hours each day on audiusa.com configuring and reconfiguring S4's, but I doubt it!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Qbruin

These screenshots really helped me decide no on the tech pack- thanks for posting.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
About to pull the trigger on an order myself:

S4 Premium Plus
Daytona Grey
Black Nappa
Sport Package
19" V Spokes

I probably won't ever use the extra goodies in the Sport Pack in my daily driving, but I have to have the 19" wheels, and since they're grey, the contrasting red calipers add a nice bit of contrast to the Daytona paint/ grey wheel combo ~ I know that's a lot to pay for about 10 ozs of red paint, but yolo. (I could waffle on this and delete it before I go in on Saturday to look at numbers, and put a deposit down, who knows- I'll sleep on it)

I think I definitely did talk myself out of the Tech pack though~ I just know I'd set the VC to Classic view and never change it. I guess the Nav and a bigger screen would be nice, but I can use apple car play for nav, and since the screen is stationary, and doesn't recess (something I didn't think I could get past when it was announced a couple years ago) a smaller one seems less intrusive.

Hopefully I will not be spending what seems like hours each day on audiusa.com configuring and reconfiguring S4's, but I doubt it!
You are listing the same reasons I didn't go with the nav/tech package. Set and forget on VC. I'll use carplay and my phone for nav so no point of nav or needing audi connect (which you have to then fork up later for). Most of the time won't even be looking at the center screen..and if I want a bigger screen can just swap it out and order one from Germany since it's just a pull and replace part.

RE: Sport package....if you really feel you're never going to use the sports adaptive (which prob you wont it sounds like) you could just order replica 19's from Hartmann & get some calipers painted and save yourself like $1200.

Those adjustable dampers will be costly to fix when they go bad. I've read they are replaced in pairs and cost about $500 a piece at least.

I think the brake/tire package shouldn't include the adjustable shocks but that's just me.

Last edited by Spartan-S4; 09-22-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Another S4 owner - ordered