S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Anyone install radar yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And REALLLLLY disappointed today to find out that even hard-wiring/tapping the mirror did NOT resolve the issue of the engine auto/start/stop cutting off power to the radar unit, and subsequently restarting the radar EVERY single time!!

I was hoping moving the power source from the cigarette lighter would resolve this.

I can't believe NOBODY else has mentioned or complained about this malady??

I'm now VERY interested in permanently defeating this stoopid "feature".

gr
Old 12-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valentine saavy. Run wire up pillar and over to your detector. Done in 2 minutes.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
And REALLLLLY disappointed today to find out that even hard-wiring/tapping the mirror did NOT resolve the issue of the engine auto/start/stop cutting off power to the radar unit, and subsequently restarting the radar EVERY single time!!

I was hoping moving the power source from the cigarette lighter would resolve this.

I can't believe NOBODY else has mentioned or complained about this malady??

I'm now VERY interested in permanently defeating this stoopid "feature".

gr
s

yes, my Valentine does the same thing, which is a pain in the butt. Please let us know what the fix is, once you figure it out.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jrw1
s

yes, my Valentine does the same thing, which is a pain in the butt. Please let us know what the fix is, once you figure it out.
I paid special attention to my dashcam today while driving, and it does not cut out when the auto stop kicks in. It switches on and off with the ignition as expected. I picked up the yellow and brown wires in the connector that goes back toward the headliner, as my mirror taps fit better in that connector than the one on the mirror. Not sure if that makes a difference or not?
Old 12-25-2017, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jrw1
s

Sorry. My Cayman did the same thing so I added this to my setup
http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/bob.asp
So my radar detector only turns off when I shut the car off.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I too use Valentine's Brown-out Booster to overcome start/stop. Works great.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone done a full wireless install? Prices here in NH are 2500+/-...
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So, I wanted to post this up - as I had a bit of an odd problem pop up with my install of mirror tap and radar detector.....

About a month ago, I upgraded to a Uniden R3 from my 10 year old Bel RX65. Very awesome unit....I highly recommend!

However, a few days after the switch, I noticed that my mirrortap power cord wasn't powering the R3 any longer, and then I noticed that the compass in the RV mirror was out as well.
Odd, but naturally, I figured it was a blown fuse - and I suspected it was due to the short length of the mirror-tap wire, and having to mount the R3 in a defferent position than the Bel.

So, I finally took apart the upper mirror mount last night, but couldn't find any relative reason for the blown fuse: everything was as it should be, and no frayed wires or dislodged taps in the mirror harness.
I know that the power cord for bel and uniden is similar enough to be able to share connectors, so I'm slightly stumped as to what could have caused it???

A RD unit draws current in MicroVolts, so I know it's not the draw on the circuit. I was surprised to find that the circuit that feeds the Rearview mirror also ties into the rear A/C system, something to do with climate control, and couple other accssory systems. All of which are only fused by a 5 amp fuse. That seems low to me for ALL of those components.

I did resolve, however, that for now, I am removing the wire tap from the RV mirror, and using my coiled power cord. With suction cup mount.
I dont like leaving the RD in the baking sun all the time anyway, so i usually take it down when parking anywhere in public -- so no need for stealth.

Just FYI. If I ever figure out the cause, I'll post up.
I suspect it's a mismatch with the mirror tap wire and the Uniden unit.....as unlikely as it seems, but I have no other explanation at this time.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 06-27-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
So, I wanted to post this up - as I had a bit of an odd problem pop up with my install of mirror tap and radar detector.....

About a month ago, I upgraded to a Uniden R3 from my 10 year old Bel RX65. Very awesome unit....I highly recommend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVfcRy6GY-s&t=40s

However, a few days after the switch, I noticed that my mirrortap power cord wasn't powering the R3 any longer, and then I noticed that the compass in the RV mirror was out as well.
Odd, but naturally, I figured it was a blown fuse - and I suspected it was due to the short length of the mirror-tap wire, and having to mount the R3 in a defferent position than the Bel.

So, I finally took apart the upper mirror mount last night, but couldn't find any relative reason for the blown fuse: everything was as it should be, and no frayed wires or dislodged taps in the mirror harness.
I know that the power cord for bel and uniden is similar enough to be able to share connectors, so I'm slightly stumped as to what could have caused it???

A RD unit draws current in MicroVolts, so I know it's not the draw on the circuit. I was surprised to find that the circuit that feeds the Rearview mirror also ties into the rear A/C system, something to do with climate control, and couple other accssory systems. All of which are only fused by a 5 amp fuse. That seems low to me for ALL of those components.

I did resolve, however, that for now, I am removing the wire tap from the RV mirror, and using my coiled power cord. With suction cup mount.
I dont like leaving the RD in the baking sun all the time anyway, so i usually take it down when parking anywhere in public -- so no need for stealth.

Just FYI. If I ever figure out the cause, I'll post up.
I suspect it's a mismatch with the mirror tap wire and the Uniden unit.....as unlikely as it seems, but I have no other explanation at this time.

gr
I had the exact same issue after everything working for a few months. I took everything back apart and put electric tape on all the connection points. Since then I haven't had an issue.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Start stop problem

Buy obd11, simple fix to disable auto s/s (unless you actually want it). Thanks to all for the mounting details!

Quick Reply: Anyone install radar yet?