S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi A4 vs S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A4 vs S4

Besides the 2018 S4 has a larger engine, what are the differences between the A4 and S4 (both with Prestige Packages)?

What is the suspension difference?

What is the drive difference?

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 04-18-2017, 04:32 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took the time to compare because I thought it was an interesting comparison as well.

S4 gets: External styling, performance exhaust w/variable valves, sport suspension is standard, torque converter transmission vs dual-clutch, massaging sport seats, Drive Select, extra virtual cockpit options, flat bottom steering wheel, illuminated door sills and glovebox, acoustic front side glass, front knee airbags, LED front fog lamps, options for sport differential, adaptive suspension, red brake calipers, and dynamic steering.

A4 gets:
Trunk liner, more interior color options, comfort suspension options, also dynamic headlight range adjustment show up for the A4 but not the S4.

Obviously it's an enourmous power difference as well. MPG ratings are 24/31 for A4 and 24/30 for S4. Interior measurements are equal, but the S4 comes in a fraction of an inch longer externally due to the front bumper shape.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi aj6,

When you drove the A4 did it have a lot smoother ride and was the cab quieter?

Geoff
Old 04-18-2017, 06:20 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't driven either. I sat in an A4 in a showroom and that's the limit of my firsthand experience. Can't speak to the ride quality comparison, but the acoustic side glass does make a world of difference in most of the reviews I've read. The S4 in with the settings put into comfort mode will be the quieter car of the two. The A4 is a home run vehicle, but the S4 is on a different level alltogether, particularly if you package it with some of the performance options.

Disclaimer: I owned an A3 prior to ordering my S4. If I had bought an S3 instead of the A3, I likely would still be very happy with it. I'm not making the same mistake with this car, and thus went not only with the S version but bought most of the toys that could come with it as well. Having it fully decked out will pay for itself by staving off the onset of future discontent. Not doing that was the mistake I made in buying a partially equipped A3. And for the record, I'm not just all about the driving dynamics, the ride quality, cabin noise, and techonlogy were all huge factors in my decision. The S4 is the only car in the market at this price point that checks all those boxes with any real sense of balance.

Edit: I have driven the new Allroad, which is fundamentally an A4. Very nice all around, and the dual clutch transmission is much smoother than even my 2015 A3 had. If I didn't want sexy sound and power to go with the other treats, I would probably have bought it. I didn't find it eerily quiet like the reviews describe the S4 in cruising mode, however. I think the acoustic glass in the S4 does make that much of a difference.

Last edited by aj6; 04-18-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

The S4 is quieter. The A4 -- without the sport suspension -- could be said to have a "less stiff" ride. The S4's suspension is a "specifically" tuned sport suspension -- so I would imagine the S4 may always feel more firm (but still compliant) in its ride.

Both cars -- if they do NOT have the 19" wheel options -- will have very little road noise. Since the 19" option changes the aspect ratio to 35, but does not impact the tread width, I find the 19" wheel option decreases the ride quality, increases the noise, can be more likely to not survive a direct pot hole hit (tire sacrifices itself, sometimes the wheel can be bent, too, sooner than if the tires had been 40 series and 18"s).

Personally, I like the DSG transmission -- but now that I've driven the S4, the software employed makes me forget I'm driving a torque converter transmission.

That is the only decision I question -- I have come to really love the 7-speed's performance.

I don't, however, have any concerns.

The sound of the S4 "at full cry" is better (subjective) than the sound of the A4.

You would not be unhappy with either vehicle -- I would, however, assume you would enjoy the S4 more.