S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

B&O sub woofer issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Markster
My S4 is only 2 months old and I can say the B&O is very good and the woofers perform really well. You should get the dealer look into it. Coming from BMW the sound in my opinion is way better. Just like you I like the bass but not too loins or overwealming. The sound is great. I enjoy it every day and I am impressed. At first the bass wasn’t a so good but over time the woofers loosen up and the sound improved.
Yes, I'm sure there is something wrong with the system.
When it works it can sound quite good.

As for this system compared to the HK, I can only say that the B&O's I've heard in other Audis have sounded different than the HK, with some aspects better and some not.
But, as it is right now, My B&O is faulty, specifically the sub and low bass.
Rattles and buzzy bass ruin the sonic experience easily and quickly.
The sub in the HK was better even compared to B&Os that work properly.
The HK subs were in much better locations and could be driven harder retaining clarity and punch.

I've been fiddling around with the settings after reading more about how B&O designed the system.
I have every DSP feature off that can be turned off, and the overall sound is much more to my liking.

With some music setting "focus" to "all" is good, but I'm finding I like "front" more appealing.
I have "surround" to off, and the 3D is set to off as well.
I don't have the NAV and digital gauges so my B&O doesn't have 5.1. But I have no use for 5.1 in a car environment anyway, and I would shut if off if it were there.
HK also had that surroun effect and I didn't like it either.

I have the sub volume set to one or two notches above the noon position, and bass is set to 3 or 4 notches above noon.
Treble is set at maximum.
That is about the same setting for satellite and FM-HD.
For CDs I have treble set around the 3 o'clock position as there is much greater clarity and frequency reproduction compared to the very compressed and lossy audio from satellite. FM-HD audio is quite good, better than satellite.
And the FM-HD reception is worlds better than the HK systems in my BMWs. In the BMWs I never listened to FM-HD as the HD reception would go on and off constantly, sometimes every few seconds. VERY annoying.
With the Audi system it's great to be able to listen to FM-HD.
For CDs I have to turn the volume up substantially compared to Sat and FM.
For obvious reasons CD sounds the best.
I haven't tried any other audio media yet.

The front/rear fader is interesting in the B&O as it moves the sound field up and down and not just front to rear.
It's an interesting tech in that regard and effective.
I have the front/rear fader set between center and full front and height.

Once I get the sub fixed I think the sound will be much better.
Some have complained that the mid-bass is lacking in this system, but I find that there is plenty of mid-bass, quite a good and clear amount.
For my preferences I wish there was a "mid" control. It sounds like the B&O engineers greatly favor a higher level of mids, which is great for jazz, classical, and some rock music.
But for a lot rock, pop, and modern music the mids are a bit too prominent and that gives the overall tone a not so good "wooden" quality.

When I get the sub working after a reset I have been boosting it to get better break in of the cone.
The 4x6 woofers in the doors are sounding better over time as well.
Old 09-29-2018, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You mention resetting the MMI. Do you mean the 3-finger salute to reset the computer or did you happen upon my post here:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...e-fix-2944799/

If not, give that a whirl. The 3 finger reset fixed it briefly. Pulling that fuse and resetting the amp fixed it permanently (posted that 6 months ago, no issues since).
Also sorry for how messy that thread is. I can't edit it.

Also for what it's worth the B&O in the B9 is significantly better than in my B8.5.
The B8.5's version was, IMO barely able to be considered a 'premium' sound system and in many situations made me miss the Bose sound system in my old Mazda.
The B9 sounds very good in my opinion overall. I'm not sure I agree with the '755 watt' rating, though.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tim Pryor
You mention resetting the MMI. Do you mean the 3-finger salute to reset the computer or did you happen upon my post here:

If not, give that a whirl. The 3 finger reset fixed it briefly. Pulling that fuse and resetting the amp fixed it permanently (posted that 6 months ago, no issues since).

Also for what it's worth the B&O in the B9 is significantly better than in my B8.5.
The B8.5's version was, IMO barely able to be considered a 'premium' sound system and in many situations made me miss the Bose sound system in my old Mazda.
The B9 sounds very good in my opinion overall. I'm not sure I agree with the '755 watt' rating, though.
Thanks for the info Tim.

The reset I do is the 3 finger reset.

To be clear, in your situation your sub was not working.
You checked the amp fuse and it was good.
You pulled it and then plugged it back in, and the system came back on with the sub working.
Since then you've had no issues with the sub?

When my sub first stopped working I was going to check the fuses.
However, I recalled the MMI reset and gave it a try.

Which panel is the amp fuse located behind?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Tim Pryor

Thanks for the info Tim.

The reset I do is the 3 finger reset.

To be clear, in your situation your sub was not working.
You checked the amp fuse and it was good.
You pulled it and then plugged it back in, and the system came back on with the sub working.
Since then you've had no issues with the sub?

I will give it a try.
It looks like it's the panel in the trunk, left side, section E, 2nd slot.
Yes?

Last edited by TT-S4; 10-01-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the rear shelf rattle in my A4 at low volume. I also have the rattle in my side mirrors most likely the result of vibrations coming rn the woofer in the door. The rear view mirror is rattle free. I’ve seen many other threads and YouTube videos about this rear shelf rattle. There is not much dealer can do to eliminate the rattle. Most likely they will felt tape the whole thing if you insist there is a problem. The issue is the rear shelf. It is not well insulated. You can try pushing down on the shelf on various locations while the music is playing and the rattle would go away.
My A6 has the Bose system and the Sub in the same place as A4 and it has zero rattles.

As for the overall quality of the system, Sat radio sounds awful almost in any system because of the compression. The B&O in the B9 will sound best if you use the built in hard drive/sd card or connect your phone directly to the MMI. Bluetooth also sounds good in my car.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tried the fuse reset, but no good regarding the sub not coming on as the next day after work the sub did not come on.
However, strangely, I had the audio source at Sat radio, and when I switched to FM-HD the sub came on!
Very strange.

I'm taking my S4 in today to have them take a look.

Last edited by TT-S4; 10-03-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by marz1
I have the rear shelf rattle in my A4 at low volume. I also have the rattle in my side mirrors most likely the result of vibrations coming rn the woofer in the door. The rear view mirror is rattle free. I’ve seen many other threads and YouTube videos about this rear shelf rattle. There is not much dealer can do to eliminate the rattle. Most likely they will felt tape the whole thing if you insist there is a problem. The issue is the rear shelf. It is not well insulated. You can try pushing down on the shelf on various locations while the music is playing and the rattle would go away.
My A6 has the Bose system and the Sub in the same place as A4 and it has zero rattles.

As for the overall quality of the system, Sat radio sounds awful almost in any system because of the compression. The B&O in the B9 will sound best if you use the built in hard drive/sd card or connect your phone directly to the MMI. Bluetooth also sounds good in my car.
I agree with you on all that.
And Sat radio SUCKS due to it's compression for sure.

I dropped off my S4 at the dealer.
My biggest concern is the sub woofer not coming on intermittently, and that's what I stressed to the service writer.
I'm not overly concerned about the rattling and buzzing at high sub and bass levels as I don't listen to audio with those settings set high.
Overall it is important that a system be designed and installed correctly such that automotive techs don't have to resort to felt strips to correct design problems.
It's fine to use tricks to correct install problems, if the rattling and buzzing is due to improper or poor installation.

I got a new A4 w/B&O for a loaner, and in this car the sub does not cause the same amount of rattling and buzzing at the same level settings.
There is some rattle at the rear deck, but I have to set the sub level to maximum and turn the volume up moderately high for that to happen.
That tells me that there is some issue with my system. My sense is that it's an install issue, because the system sounds good at lower settings.

Over the past month and with using different settings my audio system is sounding quite good actually.
After turning off the 'surround' and 3D options the clarity of the system is greatly improved.
And, as the speakers are breaking in the overall quality is improving nicely.
Right now other than the sub not turning on intermittently I like the system sound with these settings, and am even impressed at the quality when listening to music I am very familiar with, as I'm familiar with.
So, my initial impression/opinion has been nicely changed.

When I got into the loaner A4 tonight and turned the audio system on it sounded like crap.
But I could tell the settings were not adjusted.
Treble was set to the noon position as was the bass and sub.
The surround was set to maximum, and 3D was set to "high".
Those settings are awful. If someone new to the system heard the audio with those settings they would be very disappointed and wonder why they would paid extra for the B&O system.

Last edited by TT-S4; 10-03-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by marz1

I see you're from the surrounding Chicago area.
Which dealer did you get your A4 from?

I got mine from Fletcher Jones in the city.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My S4 is having the B&O trim peel off the speakers in the door. Amazing car but I don't anticipate these kind of issues.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got my first text from the service department this morning about the sub, and it is exactly what I thought would happen.

The service adviser says the sub is working and the tech doesn't see any fault codes, so they'll keep trying to reproduce the problem.
Of course, "No problem found", so the problem doesn't exist if the computer doesn't tell the tech that there is a problem, regardless of the customer explaining that there is a problem.

When the sub doesn't come on there is no indication on the dash or MMI that the sub is not working.
Even the tone settings the sub level is available and active with no warning of any kind.
Of course the computer won't tell the tech how many times the sub didn't come on, because it probably doesn't have a fault code record for something that never indicated a fault in the first place.
DUH!

Do the techs know when they have to take a **** if the Audi systems computer doesn't tell them?
LOL! Yeah, I'm joking, but for a reason.

Quick Reply: B&O sub woofer issue