S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:56 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything special about the cables? If it's just USB-A to Lightning wouldn't any data-capable cord work the same?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by aj6
Is there anything special about the cables? If it's just USB-A to Lightning wouldn't any data-capable cord work the same?
I don't think there is anything special about the cable, to me it is just the hassle of taking out the phone and plugging it in every time I want to use CarPlay.

Now that I think about it, one could take an old i-phone, leave it plugged in and have it link to their current i-phone via wi-fi for the data. That should solve the problem.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

I always take out my phone because if I want to listen to music I stream through Spotify.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Now that I think about it, one could take an old i-phone, leave it plugged in and have it link to their current i-phone via wi-fi for the data. That should solve the problem.
Except you won't be able to make and receive calls, because while CarPlay is active, Bluetooth is disabled, so if you get a phone call on your actual phone it won't go through the MMI. Same issue with text messages, they will arrive on your actual phone and won't come through on CarPlay.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Except you won't be able to make and receive calls, because while CarPlay is active, Bluetooth is disabled, so if you get a phone call on your actual phone it won't go through the MMI. Same issue with text messages, they will arrive on your actual phone and won't come through on CarPlay.
Oh man, there goes that idea....
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
Oh man, there goes that idea....
Yep....
Old 04-25-2017, 07:19 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just confirmed with my dealer that CarPlay does indeed require a cable connection, but that the cable can be any data-capable USB-A to Lightning cable, not just the Audi one.

Last edited by aj6; 04-25-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck
I'd prefer to use option $$ on Black Optics and the Sport Package. I hate the aluminum trip so carbon fiber is in. In the real world whether the car costs $58K or $63K doesn't really change anything. This is more a complaint about how features in the US get bundled and nearly all options are available ala carte in the Euro market.
I really agree, AudiUSA bundles options, while in other countries, generally, it is possible to pick individual options, rather than package.

My dealer's reps, on the other hand, welcome packages -- apparently because customers like packages and dislike "cobbling together" an order for a car that offers dozens of features and options.

I'd love to have been able to get red brake calipers without the sport diff and "automatic" shocks,

On my B8 S4, the Sport Differential was a stand alone option -- and it was $1,100 -- I would have ordered the TV diff on my soon to be delivered 2018 S4 had it been offered as a stand alone option. Dealer reps say bundling helps sell cars and makes for happier (and more repeat) customers.

Most American customers are NOT used to (and are, generally speaking, NOT going to change) ordering cars. Folks come into the dealer and want to buy TODAY.

I watched -- a couple of Friday's ago -- a couple who had driven from Portsmouth, OH to Cincinnati, come into the dealer at 5:45PM (Friday close time is 6PM) with the purpose of driving out with a new Q7 Prestige.

Literally within 30 minutes they had written a check and the wife drove off heading back to Portsmouth while the husband stuck around to be given a tutorial on the Q7's features and functions on the Q7 sitting on the showroom floor. By 6:45PM the husband was back on the road, heading home.

What I wonder is if they will return to Cincinnati for service -- since, apparently, Portsmouth has no Audi dealer any closer (perhaps Columbus, but then that begs the question why they didn't buy in Columbus).

The point is -- ordering something was not an option for these folks (and their approach is closer to the norm than mine, where I order and wait 100 days or so).
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I really agree, AudiUSA bundles options, while in other countries, generally, it is possible to pick individual options, rather than package.

My dealer's reps, on the other hand, welcome packages -- apparently because customers like packages and dislike "cobbling together" an order for a car that offers dozens of features and options.

I'd love to have been able to get red brake calipers without the sport diff and "automatic" shocks,

On my B8 S4, the Sport Differential was a stand alone option -- and it was $1,100 -- I would have ordered the TV diff on my soon to be delivered 2018 S4 had it been offered as a stand alone option. Dealer reps say bundling helps sell cars and makes for happier (and more repeat) customers.
How did you spec your car @markcincinnati??

I'm considering:

Gotland Green
Rotor Gray standard interior
Technology pkg
Sport pkg
Black Optics
Carbon Fibre trim
Old 04-26-2017, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati

Most American customers are NOT used to (and are, generally speaking, NOT going to change) ordering cars. Folks come into the dealer and want to buy TODAY.

I watched -- a couple of Friday's ago -- a couple who had driven from Portsmouth, OH to Cincinnati, come into the dealer at 5:45PM (Friday close time is 6PM) with the purpose of driving out with a new Q7 Prestige.

Literally within 30 minutes they had written a check and the wife drove off heading back to Portsmouth while the husband stuck around to be given a tutorial on the Q7's features and functions on the Q7 sitting on the showroom floor. By 6:45PM the husband was back on the road, heading home.

What I wonder is if they will return to Cincinnati for service -- since, apparently, Portsmouth has no Audi dealer any closer (perhaps Columbus, but then that begs the question why they didn't buy in Columbus).

The point is -- ordering something was not an option for these folks (and their approach is closer to the norm than mine, where I order and wait 100 days or so).
Europe and North America have very different buying cultures. AoA just caters to that. I'm originally from Europe and when I first came here I found it very strange how Americans shop for cars like they shop for their underwear. Walk into a store and buy whatever size fits. As far as I know, domestic brands still don't really do custom orders. You can buy what they have in inventory or from the dealer network, but if the exact configuration you want doesn't currently exist in the country, then you are out of luck.

At least one can custom order an Audi. Packages are good business, because it sells more options. This has kinda rubbed off on the Europeans, too. They also do packages now, but you can still get the individual options. Audi Germany also has started to sell already configured and produced models. You can go to their website and browse from a list of cars that are ready now, but still most folks in Europe order their cars exactly the way they want it and are willing to wait a few weeks.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-26-2017 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply: CarPlay