S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Considering S4, Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered similar choices: S4 P+, A4, Allroad, A5 SB, S5 SB. The ideal car would be an S4 Avant, but that's not an option.

While both the A5 and S5 SBs look nice, I didn't think they were worth the premium over the A4 and S4, and it may have been relatively more difficult to get a better deal on either of the SBs since they are excluded from the ACNA discount. Since I have a Q5 3.0, I didn't need the raised ride height and wanted something that handled well and would be fun to drive.

So it came down to deciding between an S4 P+ or A4 Prestige for about the same price. Since I value performance more than technology, I ordered a stripped down S4 P+ without Nav instead of a fully loaded A4 Prestige with a manual transmission. I have a pretty short daily commute (< 5 miles each way), so I didn't think I would fully benefit from all of the technology like others here do. Also, I'm used to not having Nav since my Q5 does not have the Tech package...but I'm probably in the minority.

Of the 3 choices, I don't think that an A5 would satisfy my midlife crisis...I would probably regret not getting an S car with a V6. Get either the S4 or S5 SB if it's within your budget.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I also considered the same three options with the S5 SB being my top choice if price wasn't a factor. However, the price creeps up fast with all of the options available and the way the dealers stock the cars (near fully loaded).

I test drove the A5 SB and S4 back to back and decided on the S4. While the A5 SB saves money, I would always feel like I settled and have some regret that I could've/should've gotten the S model. Also, while the SB sheet metal is very nice, for some reason it just doesn't look as good on a regular A5 as it does with the S5 SB.

When comparing A5 vs S4, the S4 was just much more fun to drive, and the sedan body looks just as good as the SB body in my opinion. With the S4, you also get things like quad exhaust and diamond stitched seats (in addition to the more powerful engine). My thought is that you're spending a significant amount of money no matter which Audi you get, and it just seems like you get a lot more for your money with the S4.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
Another pitch for S4 Prestige. Going to the A5 or S5 means paying a 5 grand penalty for differently shaped sheetmetal, and (subjective opinion) the front end doesn't look as good as the S4.

The features on the Prestige that you can't get on the P+ are worth it (to me). Topview camera alone is a good investment against bumping your precious car into things while parking.
5 grand? When I was cross shopping between the S4 prestige and the S5SB prestige the price difference was only 3 grand. Now granted, dealers are probably more willing to discount the S4 over the S5SB, but if you shop around you can probably keep that difference closer to the $3G than $5G. And if you are willing to wait another 6 months that will be even more true.

Like many here, I struggled with the price/value comparison between the 2 cars. Are different body panels really worth $3G more? And mind you - I love the look of the S4, I've owned S4's for the past 15 years. In the end I decided that if I'm going to be paying close to $60K for a car I'll be driving for the next 5 years, I better damn well get the one I really want and not second guess that decision for the next 60 months. So for an extra $50 a month I choose to go with the S5. For me the hatchback alone makes it worth it. And considering what some people here are willing to spend on aftermarket modifications to their cars looks (tints, wheels, carbon fiber trim ect) I don't think $3G is really that much money to pay for body panels.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the input. I think I agree with the following:

1. As someone pointed out, the A5 SB, despite the styling, will not satisfy the mid-life urge. Only a "muscle car" can do that, so it has to be an S badged vehicle.

2. The S4 is a better value than the S5 both in terms of MSRP and available discounts. Some would argue it actually looks better too but that is subjective.

I hesitate with the S4 Prestige over the P+ loaded because of the following reasons:

1. More expensive, but not too much more
2. I am not sure I would use the DAP. I did not get it on the recent Q7 purchase, so don't know what I am missing.
3. I prefer leasing now and I have heard over and over that Prestige trims do not "lease well". I guess this refers to lower residuals but if it is a significant difference then that comes into play.

My only other concern would be if I would miss the luxury, smoothness and spaciousness of my A6, but that is something I have to live with.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gravi
Thanks for all the input. I think I agree with the following:

1. As someone pointed out, the A5 SB, despite the styling, will not satisfy the mid-life urge. Only a "muscle car" can do that, so it has to be an S badged vehicle.

2. The S4 is a better value than the S5 both in terms of MSRP and available discounts. Some would argue it actually looks better too but that is subjective.

I hesitate with the S4 Prestige over the P+ loaded because of the following reasons:

1. More expensive, but not too much more
2. I am not sure I would use the DAP. I did not get it on the recent Q7 purchase, so don't know what I am missing.
3. I prefer leasing now and I have heard over and over that Prestige trims do not "lease welleat". I guess this refers to lower residuals but if it is a significant difference then that comes into play.

My only other concern would be if I would miss the luxury, smoothness and spaciousness of my A6, but that is something I have to live with.
The residual between Prestige and premium plus is 1%.

Considering the joy of stomping on the pedal and being thrown back in your seat
Old 07-20-2017, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
5 grand? When I was cross shopping between the S4 prestige and the S5SB prestige the price difference was only 3 grand. Now granted, dealers are probably more willing to discount the S4 over the S5SB, but if you shop around you can probably keep that difference closer to the $3G than $5G. And if you are willing to wait another 6 months that will be even more true.

Like many here, I struggled with the price/value comparison between the 2 cars. Are different body panels really worth $3G more? And mind you - I love the look of the S4, I've owned S4's for the past 15 years. In the end I decided that if I'm going to be paying close to $60K for a car I'll be driving for the next 5 years, I better damn well get the one I really want and not second guess that decision for the next 60 months. So for an extra $50 a month I choose to go with the S5. For me the hatchback alone makes it worth it. And considering what some people here are willing to spend on aftermarket modifications to their cars looks (tints, wheels, carbon fiber trim ect) I don't think $3G is really that much money to pay for body panels.

Launch price for S4 was 50.9K and S5 was 55.6K (~$4700 differential), but I haven't looked at the current numbers in several months, so I stand corrected. It looks like the S4 has gone up $500 and the S5 down a fair amount.

As Mark and others have stated, the only person whose opinion matters when it comes to your car is your own. If the sheetmetal premium is worth it too you, then we certainly understand that. Some people REALLY want Nardo grey for an extra $3K extra. It's all about what we value most as individuals. That's why I prefer to cling primarily to facts during discussions, and caveat any personal subjectivity with "to me." I only footstomp the price differential between the S4/S5 because many people assume (logically) there must be extra features included in that price bump, when it is simply a premium Audi upcharges for, like the difference between A6/A7.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 07-20-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

A friend of mine shopped an A6 Prestige and commenced to add options to it. The MSRP grew to a pre-tax number of about $68K. My friend briefly flirted with an A7, thinking "OK, I might go to $70K for an A7."

The thing is, when optioned up to the limit of his purse, so to speak, he had to take a significant amount of de-contenting. Affordability wasn't the issue -- he could've purchased an S6, even without straining.

After the fact, I told him he could've had a "decently equipped" S6 for the price of the A7 that he could not find any differences in when the hardware comparison was to the A6.

He "feels" he got an all seeing all knowing all performing $68K A6 -- he couldn't "see" the $9,000+ difference between the A6 and A7.

The next guy?

He was all about "the look" -- took what my friend thinks is a "strippie" for $75K+.

At least the A7 isn't smaller than the A6.

I'm not so sure physical size is exactly what the price differences are based on -- for if that was the criteria, the S4 would cost MORE than the S5 -- the S4 is bigger, it has a longer wheelbase a bigger back seat and more headroom.

But the size isn't relevant in terms of the decision to price the 5's higher than the 4's.

America -- today -- seems to have "fallen out of love" with the four-door sedan (apparently no matter high up the food chain that sedan may be). The darling body style -- today -- is the CUV (and probably the SUV). Check the prices for CUVs -- and perhaps most telling, is that the ACNA discount applies to an S4 but not to a Q5/SQ5. The dealer's have to absorb extra costs if they discount the CUV 6% (even though many still do, just not with the financial support from Audi of America's ACNA program).

With respect to the A5/S5 vs. A4/S4 we're apparently in a "vanity" preference era -- today -- for we are willing to pay more for the 5 than for the 4. I've never even seen an S4 ad on TV, but I see plenty of S5 ads.

I don't know if the 5's have a higher profit margin, but since they are at least $3,000 more than the 4's, it would seem they must be.

When I was shopping for my S4, I wanted to know all about the DAP option -- I got my "training" on a new A5. Every effort has been made to get the 5's to the dealers. Not so much the 4's.

So, if you're looking at the 4's and 5's, configure one of each as you would buy it -- then look at the bottom line. The 5 without any additional content or performance will cost more.

Don't listen to anyone here -- there will those of us who will tell you to go with the 5 and likewise those who will urge you to go with the 4.

It doesn't matter -- it is likely that both camps will try to rationalize why one is "worth" more than the other. They're likely both right.

You should get the car that you're drawn to -- don't listen to our "rationalizations" on the subject.

There is a WEALTH of information that you can get here on AW. My suggestion is that you use this forum to get the information you may find useful regarding your purchase.

Of course, you should take MY advice regarding the color of the car you will ultimately end up with. In that regard, I'm often wrong, but never uncertain.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dbuxton13
Launch price for S4 was 50.9K and S5 was 55.6K (~$4700 differential), but I haven't looked at the current numbers in several months, so I stand corrected. It looks like the S4 has gone up $500 and the S5 down a fair amount.
Current MSRP on audiusa.com configurator

P+ Trim
S4 : 51,400
S5SB : 54,400

Prestige trim
S4 : 55,800
S5SB : 58,800

So it looks like the delta is now $3000 at all trim levels. Which as you pointed out, is exactly the cost of a custom paint color
Old 07-21-2017, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
I'm not so sure physical size is exactly what the price differences are based on -- for if that was the criteria, the S4 would cost MORE than the S5 -- the S4 is bigger, it has a longer wheelbase a bigger back seat and more headroom.
The Sportback has the same wheelbase as the S4. Almost exactly the same length, is just a few millimeters wider due almost entirely to the tires and is maybe a half an inch longer due to the design of the rear bumper. The roofline sits about an inch lower and there is a slight reduction in rear headroom thanks to the sloping roofline, but the rear legroom is identical. The biggest differences in the bodywork are the hatchback rear, the frameless doors and a more pronounced shoulder line. Other than that, it's basically the same exact car as the S4. So consider the SB as just one more configurable option on the S4. Sort of like an extreme version of the Black Optic package or carbon fiber mirror caps.

That's the way I approached it. I wanted another S4 and 4 doors was an absolute requirement. I really liked the curvier look of the S5 and thought the hatchback rear would offer more practicality than the trunk lid on the sedan. And to me, paying $3000 for those options seemed reasonable. On the other hand, I couldn't see the value in spending $2950 on the DAP + dynamic steering. These are all very individual value judgments. No 2 people are going to look at all these options the same way. So always do what's right for you.

Last edited by njspeedfreak; 07-21-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

When you differentiate an S4 vs S5vs S5SB it is truly a price for sheet metal.
My wife has her eyes set on the S4 coming from a BMW 335i and the fact that she wants a bigger backseat than the SB for running the big Labrador to the vet or groceries.
I offered her the SQ5 but she said it was too big and heavy. She adores the anticipated quickness of the Audi.
I personally like coupes and if I were younger and more spry would opt for the RSTTS or RS3 but not sure if I can get in and out .
The two door coupe is my favorite even with the premium. It is all about the appearance since they will drive so similarly. Coming from aBMW 435 not having to add an engine tune to the Audi is a $1500 gift right there.
Point is we all see value through different prisms.
Gift

Quick Reply: Considering S4, Need some advice