S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Considering S4, Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering S4, Need some advice

I currently drive a 2013 A6 2.0T which is my second A6, and the wife just got a 2017 Q7. Thinking about succumbing to my mid-life crisis and stepping up to an S4 in the coming months. Ideally would like an S6 but out of my price range. After some research I keep coming back to the following options:

1. S4 P+: Great performance, and fits my budget
2. A5 SB: Gorgeous looks and $8K cheaper, but obviously a step down with the 2.0 engine
3. S5 SB: Everything I want but more expensive, not sure if worth it

I have ruled out C43 and BMW 440 as I love Audi and the value for money.

If anyone went through the same choices please share your thoughts and reasons for making the decision. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm biased, but have you considered the S4 prestige trim? I think the step up to the virtual cockpit, the heads up display, and MMI touch pad is worth the upgrades.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree. Check out the S4 prestige---problem solved.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Obviously, this is something only you can decide, but I would get a Sportback model. They look sooooo good (in my opinion). The A5 SB with a tune seems like a good compromise between cost and engine performance.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you value more? Performance or technology/comfort options? A basic S4 P+ will have excellent performance but limit the amount of nice options you can add. If you are even considering an S5 SB then I would move to the S4 prestige and add driver assistance option. If S5 is out of price range but nice options out weigh performance, then A5 SB with some tech options is the way to go. Personally, if S4 prestige was beyond my $ barf point, I would go A5 SB loaded. Beautiful car plus awesome tech/comfort with decent performance, sounds pretty good to me.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I really wanted features like the HUD, VC, drivers assistance with traffic assist, and the surround camera system so to me there was no option but to go with the prestige package. The complete package Audi offers in the new generation is what convinced me to jump ship from a competitive brand to my first Audi. There really isn't another car out there currently that offers the performance, features and looks for the same price point.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

S4 Prestige.
Driver Assistance
Possibly consider cold weather pkg (you'll lose the flat bottomed steering wheel, though.)
Consider Napa leather interior
Ibis white is no charge
Old 07-20-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

The current generation of S4 and S5 offers so much more for the money in Prestige trim with full options.
Performance and technology included had me switch from two BMWs The Mercedes C 43amg is priced at $73000 similarly loaded and behind on tech.
Audi this time around has it all.
You give up much if you go with the A5 package and then have to add options including engine tune against your warranty.
Agree with above the S4 is less than SB or S5.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Another pitch for S4 Prestige. Going to the A5 or S5 means paying a 5 grand penalty for differently shaped sheetmetal, and (subjective opinion) the front end doesn't look as good as the S4.

The features on the Prestige that you can't get on the P+ are worth it (to me). Topview camera alone is a good investment against bumping your precious car into things while parking.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Perhaps the current near obsession with CUV's and SUV's had contributed to "sedans" current bargain status when compared to the CUV's and even the 4-door coupes like the A5 and A7 series.

If you want the look of the A5/A7's vs the A4's/Aa6's, there is nothing wrong with that -- as long as you are willing to pay the upcharge the 5's and 7's currently command over the 4 and 6 sedans.

Of course the A5 2-door versions have a shorter wheelbase which means IMO the reduction of the utility value of the back seat. But, if that isn't important to you, the A5/S5 remain handsome vehicles, for sure.

Since styling is personal, hopefully no one will be too upset when I say, the A5/S5 SB ought to cost less than an S4, it just seems like so much less car.

Of course I live with my wife who thinks I'm crazy for sticking with the "sedan" -- she has had many Audis, but her last four cars: 2 BMW X3's and 2 Audi SQ5's. She thinks I should have gone with the SQ5 since (according to the automotive journals) the SQ5 "skews" male and age 35 (I'm 66). But, what the heck, the S4 is a perfect size for two people and at the Prestige level combines performance and luxury in a near-perfect balance. Add Premium Paint, Napa Leather and Driver Assistance and (in my case) Audi Beam Rings and the pre-tax number is just slightly south of $61,000 and the performance is, hmm, brisk, damn near breathtaking when you come across and increasingly rare stretch of road without traffic.

Quick Reply: Considering S4, Need some advice