S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

DRL Non-wink, what would it take...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

It used to be able to set with the free software (but you have to buy a $300 cable). I had mine turned off on my B8, I also had the needle sweep added as well as "cornering lights" turned on, all via the free software.

I don't know if the B9 has such settings, but I can't believe it is HARDWARE that makes this happen, it is software.

When the headlights are on the DRL's don't turn off when you signal.

I used to hate the look until I recognized how easy it was to "recognize" signalling with the winking left on.

Frankly, I've kind of grown to LIKE the look especially with the LED amber signals.

I wouldn't have any issue with you turning your winking off, I would just want to advise you that while you may think it looks better, well, you're wrong -- insofar as the safety aspect is concerned. Your preference for the winking to be disabled is a cosmetic/vanity preference, and -- "to each his/her own."

My safety advice is -- it's a good thing.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't really be wrong about something I never stated, and I totally accept the vanity aspect of it. If it were just software I would consider it and maybe come around as you have to accepting it as not weird looking. Since it is a hardware thing for the B9, I must accept it and hope I say one day, "You know, I like the wink". Until then, I'm perfectly ok with it and accept the added safety aspect (mostly because I won't see it every time I use my signal during the daytime).

Edit: Sorry Mark, I just realized you were probably replying to the post above.

Last edited by Jhbrew; 08-04-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Is it really a hardware thing? Wow.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

FWIW, the 2012+ C7 (A6/A7/S6//S7 etc.) DRLs also cannot "wink". The DRLs contain both the white and orange LEDs on a single strip. There is no way to separate the two, therefore no wink is possible.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Is it really a hardware thing? Wow.
It is. The same LED chip illuminates the diffused light pipe for the upper and side segment of the lamp. The chip has a white and amber LED for the upper segment, and a white LED for the side segment. It would diminish the brightness of the indicator, affecting safety. The extra heat would also damage the chip, housing, and light pipe. If you've ever seen the rear of your headlight, you'll notice it is capped with a heat sink to dissipate the heat generated by the operation of this chip.

We engineers purposefully design these components to not only satisfy regulatory requirements in different jurisdictions and markets but also to ensure a reliable, long service life.

Last edited by wdimagineer; 08-11-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... while at the same time trying to keep the cost accountants happy.

It would interest me to see a comparison of how that part works (with respect to the former 2) at WDI vs the auto industry in general.
Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda think NOBODY on a forum for AUDI with Audi owners should lecture anyone about wanting their car to do something they think looks cool from the outside...otherwise go buy a prius if you think we shouldn't want our cars to look neat. Audi looks really cool. And the non wink would be really cool and still visible.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 815 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by directorguy7
Kinda think NOBODY on a forum for AUDI with Audi owners should lecture anyone about wanting their car to do something they think looks cool from the outside...otherwise go buy a prius if you think we shouldn't want our cars to look neat. Audi looks really cool. And the non wink would be really cool and still visible.
Seriously? The guy provided an explanation. He wasn't "lecturing" anyone. Keep up this behaviour IMHO and he might just leave, which is not good for any of us here.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What people are willing to do for a minor gripe is amazing.

winking? Really? Who cares?
Old 04-06-2019, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

We're turning into the B8S4 forum.

Quick Reply: DRL Non-wink, what would it take...