S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Dynamic idle vs auto or comfort

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dynamic idle vs auto or comfort

So one thing I noticed
when I was tinkering in my garage with my new EPIC s4.

the idle is higher by3-400rpm in dynamic and the car is in park

im curious
why does That happen ?

chris
Old 03-07-2019, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

To spool the turbo quicker off the line. It puts the idle rpm close to where the turbo starts building boost once you step on the throttle, for virtually no lag off the line.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

But why when in Park?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Firstly, the car can only be in S mode because the driver chose put it there, either via using the transmission shifter or cycling through the MMI modes. It will never start in S mode. So it idles in Park at higher RPM because that's how the driver set the engine/transmission map.

And the car is using a B-cycle engine, with variable valve timing depending on whether it is in B-cycle or Otto cycle. When in D mode, the car will run in B-cycle whenever it can depending on engine load and RPM. In B-cycle, it makes more torque below boost, and so runs a lower idle speed. It will transition from B-cycle to Otto cycle at specified engined speeds and loads. In S mode, IMO (Audi do not publish any specifics other than in their patents) the engine is never in B-cycle, so it has less torque below boost, therefore idles closer to boost (1370rpm) to avoid a torque hole.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default thank you

Wow cool. i had no idea the car had two engine profiles.
thank you for the explanation.

no to sound like to big of a noob. but is there anyway to get another 40 horses or so out of this car without voiding the warranty.

i just cant hold back....

thanks
c
Old 03-08-2019, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
Firstly, the car can only be in S mode because the driver chose put it there, either via using the transmission shifter or cycling through the MMI modes. It will never start in S mode. So it idles in Park at higher RPM because that's how the driver set the engine/transmission map.

And the car is using a B-cycle engine, with variable valve timing depending on whether it is in B-cycle or Otto cycle. When in D mode, the car will run in B-cycle whenever it can depending on engine load and RPM. In B-cycle, it makes more torque below boost, and so runs a lower idle speed. It will transition from B-cycle to Otto cycle at specified engined speeds and loads. In S mode, IMO (Audi do not publish any specifics other than in their patents) the engine is never in B-cycle, so it has less torque below boost, therefore idles closer to boost (1370rpm) to avoid a torque hole.
What a Fuken mess they made with this car transmission setup
Old 03-08-2019, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Lakian

no to sound like to big of a noob. but is there anyway to get another 40 horses or so out of this car without voiding the warranty.

thanks
c
There is not. If you modify the powertrain in any way from its factory design, those components of your New Vehicle Limited Warranty are voided. You can definitely install reversible mods e.g. piggyback tuning units, and then remove them when you take your vehicle in for repairs or service with hopes that scans of the car and/or visual inspection do not reveal them, but from a legal standpoint you did in fact void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty the moment you installed them and would be guilty of committing fraud by seeking and potentially obtaining warranty service on something that has been voided. Getting caught for this sort of thing is not something you hear about often but that doesn't make it any more legal.

Originally Posted by jondin2000
What a Fuken mess they made with this car transmission setup
I happen to think it's pretty brilliant. I get 31mpg on the highway but still put down 354hp/369tq to four wheels via a full time mechanical AWD system. That's extremely impressive, and represents a 3mpg improvement with a power bump and torque available wayyyyy lower than the previous S4.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

idk how you get 31mpg..

when i BABY this car, i get 26-27mpg at best
Old 03-08-2019, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by danktastic1
when i BABY this car, i get 26-27mpg at best
Same here and I have yet to see 20 mpg overall average.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Lakian

thanks
c
Depends where you live. Not in North America, as per mplsbrian's reply. But your car sounds new, it will open up more at around 1k miles.

Quick Reply: Dynamic idle vs auto or comfort