S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Flat bottom steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Flat bottom steering wheel

When I first saw these I thought, "Hey, that looks cool."
When I got my S4 I was looking forward to having a flat bottom steering.

I've had my S4 since the beginning of this past September, and have come to the conclusion that I do NOT like flat bottom steering wheels.
It's actually quite annoying when making turns the require the wheel to be turned past 45 degrees.
The change in the rim during a turn is off putting, annoying.
I thought I would get used to it and like it.
So far I am used to it, but I don't like it.

Next car I want to go back to a regular round steering wheel, and sport seats that have an independently adjustable headrest/protector.
Oh, and if Audi doesn't fix their awful AT programming and ultra lazy throttle, then I'm not coming back.
The A4 loaner I had felt a tad more responsive all around that my S4, and that should not be.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes, I agree with you after having four iterations of the flat bottom steering wheel. The problem with the A4 is that it comes with crappy sport seats and does not have a good wheel selection. I have the black optic package on my S4 and it looks pretty awesome.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TT-S4
When I first saw these I thought, "Hey, that looks cool."
When I got my S4 I was looking forward to having a flat bottom steering.

I've had my S4 since the beginning of this past September, and have come to the conclusion that I do NOT like flat bottom steering wheels.
It's actually quite annoying when making turns the require the wheel to be turned past 45 degrees.
The change in the rim during a turn is off putting, annoying.
I thought I would get used to it and like it.
So far I am used to it, but I don't like it.

Next car I want to go back to a regular round steering wheel, and sport seats that have an independently adjustable headrest/protector.
Oh, and if Audi doesn't fix their awful AT programming and ultra lazy throttle, then I'm not coming back.
The A4 loaner I had felt a tad more responsive all around that my S4, and that should not be.
This thread screams "I don't like the steering wheel but I'm fine with it. The rest of the car is horrible."

Flat bottom steering wheel is fine. It makes zero difference because my arms work.
Old 10-26-2018, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kurtatx
This thread screams "I don't like the steering wheel but I'm fine with it. The rest of the car is horrible."

Flat bottom steering wheel is fine. It makes zero difference because my arms work.
Thank you for your very helpful comments.
I'll try using my arms next time I drive.
I knew there was something wrong using my feet to steer.

Last edited by TT-S4; 10-26-2018 at 12:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Davidj22 (02-08-2020)
Old 10-26-2018, 05:23 PM
S4 Avant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got flat bottom steering wheel + regular std S4 seats with adjustable headrests.

IMHO flat bottom wheel is not as bad as I expected it, in reality I learned to like a lot now!

As for the S4 std seats, the adjustable headrests are a MUST.

Last edited by Filipão; 10-26-2018 at 05:25 PM. Reason: image
Old 10-27-2018, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

You can get a round steering wheel and more traditional seats if you select both the Warm Weather and Cold Weather packages. The interior color is limited to black though.
Old 10-29-2018, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
You can get a round steering wheel and more traditional seats if you select both the Warm Weather and Cold Weather packages. The interior color is limited to black though.
Yes.
Unfortunately, I only discovered that after I got my S4.

When I was shopping there weren't any S4's with the warm wthr seats or the heated steering wheel.
I saw them on the Audi website, but at the time I didn't realize that I would prefer seats with adjustable headrests and a round wheel.
It's my own fault for not doing better research.
However, I'm surprised that the stock S4 seats are not as good as they look.

I'm sure this is more specific to me as most people really like the seats.
I have a bad lower spine issue, and with the BMW sport seats they never bothered my back even on long trips.
They have more neutral starting position that is easier to adjust and get right for me.
In my S4 within 15 minutes I start squirming as my left leg starts hurting and lower back, and I keep trying to find a more comfortable position and angle.
I can find an acceptable position when I put the seat back quite far, as then I can extend my legs giving a better angle.
But at that point the reach to the steering wheel is too far and it won't telescope back any further than it does.

These seats have a strange slant towards the rear that creates a "pocket".
If I raise the rear bottom up the whole seat bottom rises not just the rear, IOW, the rear doesn't tilt up but the whole seat bottom rises.
The front of the seat tilt is independent, but I need it go down from it's lowest position and it doesn't.
If I keep raising the seat higher, eventually the seat bottom gets to a point where the bottom is a bit more level in relation to the front.
However, by that point the seat is much too high and my head is hitting the roof and door armrest is useless.

I'm hoping more time will allow me and the seat to "break in".

Last edited by TT-S4; 10-29-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have same issue with my sits air ventilated...except that I like flat bottom steering wheel easy to get in and out
Old 10-30-2018, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally I was set to purchase a S4 with a rounded steering wheel through the means of the cold package. Unfortunate events at a dealership ended me with a different S4 then I intended which left me with the flat steering wheel. After driving the car for over a year I must say, I like it. I really do. I find it easier to grip coming off long ramps or long, sharp turns. I also find it easier to get in and out of the vehicle as well as more leg room in the cockpit. However if I was sour about it, I'd look to replace it with a rounded wheel. There are plenty of options out there to swap it out. I wouldn't let a few hundred dollar part change ruin the whole driving experience or build regret in my purchase. If your not partial, you could even sell your flat bottom online to make up for the cost (or at least some of the cost).

Simple solution is to mod it and make it yours.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yabi
Originally I was set to purchase a S4 with a rounded steering wheel through the means of the cold package. Unfortunate events at a dealership ended me with a different S4 then I intended which left me with the flat steering wheel. After driving the car for over a year I must say, I like it. I really do. I find it easier to grip coming off long ramps or long, sharp turns. I also find it easier to get in and out of the vehicle as well as more leg room in the cockpit. However if I was sour about it, I'd look to replace it with a rounded wheel. There are plenty of options out there to swap it out. I wouldn't let a few hundred dollar part change ruin the whole driving experience or build regret in my purchase. If your not partial, you could even sell your flat bottom online to make up for the cost (or at least some of the cost).

Simple solution is to mod it and make it yours.
The flat steering wheel isn't ruining the driving experience.
I'm simply saying that I don't like it compared to a full round wheel.

For racing, where the drivers doesn't, or rarely, takes his/her hands off the wheel the flat/straight sides offer a better grip.
However, for our street cars they require a much greater rotation.
The transition from curved to flat is what is off putting to me.

I'm curious, how far do some of you lower your steering wheel that it makes it easier to get in an out compared to a round wheel?

My steering wheels are adjusted to where the top inner curve of the wheel is aligned at the top arc of the gauges.
I have the standard gauges not the virtual.
The following users liked this post:
Davidj22 (02-08-2020)

Quick Reply: Flat bottom steering wheel