S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

How are your B9's holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are your B9's holding up?

I'm starting to toy with the idea of a new S4 for our garage. I will likely wait until the new 340 M-Sports are finally released, to properly compare. But you never know.
We happen to have a '13 Q5 3.0T - and have found that to be an outstanding vehicle. It's nearing six-figures on the clock, but still solid as a rock (other than the expected pano sunroof noises...) and mechanically, it still seems stout.

I didn't see much in the way of a sticky or other thread, for the reliability, or known issues (large or small) for these new models.
It's been more than a year for many of these, out on the roads, so that's likely enough time for odd or problematic issues to start showing. Is carbon build-up an issue for that turbo-six? It's still only DI, so I'd have to imagine it could be?
Is there a consolidated thread, regarding this topic?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:02 PM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hitting my 2 year mark in a couple months with 17,000 miles on the ODO.

Rock solid with no issues or problems.

If you search the B9 S4 forum for "reliability" you will see some threads regarding member's individual experiences with their S4.

Last edited by ZF8; 02-07-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

That's great, that yours has been solid. I realize that there will be individual threads, here and there. I just didn't know if there was a conglomerated "master" thread for such.
Probably, a good sign that there actually isn't.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I took delivery early August 2017. Now have 19k miles on the odometer. It's my DD. Oil & filter changed every 5k miles (it's my preference). Only issues have been the pre-sense going off without reason and, at times, a noise from the front passenger seat. Both will be addressed during the 20k mile service scheduled in two weeks. Otherwise very reliable and a great winter vehicle (granted using a winter wheel/tire setup).

If test driving, be sure to put the transmission in S-mode. The default A-mode is, well, low on throttle response and should only be used for driving on the interstates.

I agree with your approach and wait for the new 340i M-sport to be released. If you have the budget and time also consider the upcoming M3. Accordingly it will offer the AWD mode currently used in the M5.

Solid and capable vehicle but a little "vanilla" for my liking.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dougnash
I'm starting to toy with the idea of a new S4 for our garage. I will likely wait until the new 340 M-Sports are finally released, to properly compare. But you never know.
We happen to have a '13 Q5 3.0T - and have found that to be an outstanding vehicle. It's nearing six-figures on the clock, but still solid as a rock (other than the expected pano sunroof noises...) and mechanically, it still seems stout.

I didn't see much in the way of a sticky or other thread, for the reliability, or known issues (large or small) for these new models.
It's been more than a year for many of these, out on the roads, so that's likely enough time for odd or problematic issues to start showing. Is carbon build-up an issue for that turbo-six? It's still only DI, so I'd have to imagine it could be?
Is there a consolidated thread, regarding this topic?

Thanks!
I also almost made the decision to wait for the m340. But then came to terms with the fact that I just couldn't get past the looks of the car even if it drove wonderfully. Combined with the low quality of the BMW dealer network around here I realized that it was going to be the Audi or the other already-available cars I was cross-shopping. But if you're gong to wait, you could also wait for the 2020 B9s to drop, which supposedly will get an upgraded center dash.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

6k miles, daily driven, perfect so far. great car.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NHman
I took delivery early August 2017. Now have 19k miles on the odometer. It's my DD. Oil & filter changed every 5k miles (it's my preference). Only issues have been the pre-sense going off without reason and, at times, a noise from the front passenger seat. Both will be addressed during the 20k mile service scheduled in two weeks. Otherwise very reliable and a great winter vehicle (granted using a winter wheel/tire setup).

If test driving, be sure to put the transmission in S-mode. The default A-mode is, well, low on throttle response and should only be used for driving on the interstates.

I agree with your approach and wait for the new 340i M-sport to be released. If you have the budget and time also consider the upcoming M3. Accordingly it will offer the AWD mode currently used in the M5.

Solid and capable vehicle but a little "vanilla" for my liking.
Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the next M3. However, the price and performance trajectory are likely going to be a little too extreme. That's why the "S" and "M-Sport" sub-lines tend to find that sweet spot.
I've certainly noticed that threads around here, sometimes complaining that standard drive mode is really lethargic. I'll have to find out, if I decide to test drive. I know it's a totally different car, and especially, motor. But even the standard "D" in our Q5 is fantastically quick to respond - making it rare that I ever even use "S". Granted, I still tend to use the paddles, most often - can't quit the manual in my soul...
Old 02-08-2019, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
I also almost made the decision to wait for the m340. But then came to terms with the fact that I just couldn't get past the looks of the car even if it drove wonderfully. Combined with the low quality of the BMW dealer network around here I realized that it was going to be the Audi or the other already-available cars I was cross-shopping. But if you're gong to wait, you could also wait for the 2020 B9s to drop, which supposedly will get an upgraded center dash.
I don't mind the looks of the G20 BMW's - but if anything were to give me pause, it would be reliability with a whole new platform. From what I've read, the mechanically similar X3 models seem to have various gremlins.
You do bring up a good point about the refreshed 2020 S4. Might be worth waiting to see what kinds of refinements they make to the current model.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Almost 30k miles at a year and a half old. Running great.

BMWs lower end cars always seemed too cheap for me. Even my friend’s old M4 had a completely garbage interior that didn’t seem worth 80k. It was however a fun car to drive. The M cars, more specifically the M3/4 are very rough rides on Midwest roads. I have heard reviews that the M5 is better. I’m actually considering trading my b9 in for a F90 M5 comp in a year or so. In my opinion the M5 is the only bmw worth buying ... or in my case leasing. BMW kills both Audi and MB on their lease offers. So that’s also something to consider I guess.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve got ~18k on my 1.5 year old S4 and everything is great so far except for the annoying creaky body sound at low speed located behind my rear passenger seat. I have an appointment with the dealer try and fix this for a second time as the first time was not successful. I’m also not happy with some sloppy work from the dealer although they have made amends for their mistakes.

Quick Reply: How are your B9's holding up?