S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

I am having a heck of a time choosing between

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 04:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am having a heck of a time choosing between

Hi Guys,

I have my next car I am going to buy boiled down to the 2018 S4 or the 2017 Porsche Macan S. I drive 20,000 miles a year and will keep the car 6 to 7 years.

They are different cars, but both drive absolutely great and have great interiors.

What do you think?

Can you help me?

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 04-14-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Before we ordered our second SQ5 (2018 Prestige), we test drove the "least expensive" Macan ($65,000). I wouldn't kick either one out of bed for eating crackers.

Haven't driven an '18 SQ5, and the Macan too was NOT an '18.

The Macan has less cargo space and feels a bit more cramped in the back seat.

The Macan is a Porsche -- it is clear it favors performance above all else. Compared to our 2014 SQ5, the transmission differences are (to me) noticeable. The differences don't mean I thought one transmission would be better than the other.

Frankly, I enjoy both transmissions -- and (when using the paddle shifters) I prefer the 7-spd DSG for the instantaneous shifting. However, the 8-speed in the Audi is, generally, smoother and -- from a rolling stop -- a bit more responsive. Since we rarely shift using the paddles, this is picking a nit. But, for you, that may be a deal, big or otherwise.

The Porsche is a bit lower to the ground -- or at least it feels like it is visually. We never take our cars beyond "soft road" so the relative capabilities "off road" are immaterial, but the Audi, with its higher ground clearance, would -- logically -- be a bit better in an off-road situation.

The Audi is a bit quieter. Both cars are "tight" -- the Porsche is a 1/2 a tick more so than the Audi. The Audi rides a bit better -- again a 1/2 a tick better.

The engines are both great -- the Porsche engine being a turbo unit compared to the supercharged Audi has a fleeting bit of hesitation. Thing is, the new Audi SQ5 will also be turbocharged and, for all I know, in that application it may also have that hint of hesitation. My test drive of a new S4 suggests that is NOT the case, probably due to the 8-speed tiptronic's ability to mask the tiny bit of lag the turbo that may exist even in the new Audi turbo.

Both vehicles handle great -- but, as you might hope, the Porsche is a bit better at being a "snake in a rat hole." My wife values this trait highly -- but found the price difference was not invested in handling sufficiently to move the "preference" needle in favor of the Porsche.

The audio system was good in the Macan, better in the SQ5, if you listen to talk you'll never know the difference, however, if you listen to tuneage (either your own or Sat radio) you will notice the frequency response is better from the Audi (B&O). I believe there is an upgrade -- over the one we drove -- available in the Macan. Not so in the Audi Prestige -- it's B&O, thank you for playing.

Brakes on both cars seem identical, but the Audi has a slight amount of nose dive.

Both vehicles are available with an air suspension now. Neither of our testers had this. The Audi offers a torque vectoring rear diff with the air suspension for 2018, which will probably be wonderful. On the other hand, the Audi probably NEEDS it a bit more than the Porsche would, because, well, it's a Porsche!

Comparably equipped the Porsche seems about $9,000+ more. The Porsche dealer had several in the low to mid $60's "nicely equipped," while the Audi, if you get it to $65K will be virtually "all in." You can get the Porsche over $70K easily. Of course the top Macan could probably be edged into six-figure territory.

The SQ5 vs the S4 -- is a preference decision. Do you want/need a CUV? Do you want a bit higher driving position? Do you mind paying a bit more for a CUV vs a 4-door sedan?

The S4 is probably a better performer than either the SQ5 or the Macan S. Blown up to OVER $60K, the S4 will be more highly contented and will go faster, corner better and likely be more luxurious too.

There is an "it" factor to the Porsche that the Audis probably will never have. However, the distance between the Audi and the Porsche is more narrow than the difference between a VW and an Audi.

Audi is a Premium brand and the SQ5 is -- currently -- THE sexiest CUV in the family. Porsche is an Ultra-Premium brand and the Macan S is also very sexy, but Porsche has plenty of depth should you want to go further up-scale and up-price.

For the money, the SQ5 is "winner, winner, chicken dinner." If money is no object and rear seat headroom and carrying capacity give-backs don't trouble you, the Macan S is a true Sport-CUV. The SQ5 is close in many ways. But in the pecking order of the VW group, Porsche sits on top with the Audi one-rung (or perhaps one-half rung) down.

Money, for us, IS an object, so we do factor that into our "evaluation" of the purchase. For $65K, the SQ5 is a lot more car -- in terms of content. It also is very close to the Porsche in areas that we care about, but rarely exercise and that is "at the limit." You see, the limits of the Porsche are, generally, higher than those of the Audi.

As a practical matter, however, you'll be smiling from ear to ear with either of these CUV's -- and, for MY money, I'll take the S4 over either the SQ5 or the Macan S.

Drive it like YOU live.

Happy hunting.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Man, I gotta follow Mark on this? That's tough! His responses are so well thought out and nicely written.

I'm a current B8.5 (2013) S4 Owner. I lurkticipate in this forum because I will be ordering a 2018 S4. My beloved wife, however, is the PROUD owner of a 2015 Macan S. She would describe herself as a "Porsche convert" and will tell you her next vehicle will be a Porsche (and not because she gives any ****s about branding).

It is hard to compare the two vehicles with respect to finding one or the other BETTER, and I suspect ultimately you'd regret neither choice. While I cannot help much with your specific dilemma of 2018 S4 v 2017 Macan S, I can give you some insights that you may find somewhat helpful.

I will skip the parts that I suspect you already know. I don't think you're here for someone to explain one is a CUV and another is a sports sedan. Nor do I suspect you need any help explaining there's a difference in price. I'm guessing that you're looking for some inside scoop that can help bend you one way or another. I'm not sure I have that, either, but I will at least ramble a bit on the two - and maybe you'll glean something useful.

I LOVE the S4. Obviously, I'm replacing it with a 5 year newer version - and I'm not personally even considering the Macan (or, hell, anything else for that matter). I love the understated (stealthy) aspect. I love the performance. I love the ride. I love the technical stuff. I like being lower to the ground. It is THE car for me. (the 2018 will be my 3rd straight S4, and unless something crazy happens, my next car after this will be an S4 too. If I win the lottery then maybe I'll spring for an S6.

Now, that said, my wife is equally adamant about the Macan. Generally speaking, I never considered that I'd have an (S/C)UV in my fleet. She always wanted one. She literally drove every upper tier SUV for 3 years waiting patiently for the right one. When we learned about the SQ5, we were both excited. She drove it. She LLLLLLLLiiiked it. A lot. Then we learned about the Macan (at the time soon to be rolled out). So we waited. When I say every SUV... Count Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, BMW, Land Rover, MB, Audi, Porsche Cayenne...gassers, diesel... (I'm forgetting some, I know it).

Then she drove the MACAN. L. O. V. E. (I was jealous!).

I will admit that SOB has one slick ride. I love to drive it. When we go places together, I'm usually the driver. That vehicle leaves me little to complain about. In fact, my only complaint is it is a bit behind on technology (gadgetry). For a CUV, I doubt there's a better vehicle to be had (with apologies to Macan Turbo and GTS). She loves being 'up high'. She loves the startup exhaust roar when it is cold (sometimes is it the little things you'd never expect). The loves the effortless acceleration. She loves it all.

I cannot remember offhand EXACTLY the options we ordered, but I do regret skipping the $5K Burmester option (not really the paying for it part though) because the middle choice audio upgrade (BOSE?) still kinda sucks. The Audi B&O is fuggin' incredible.

See, there it is, I rambled a bit and probably said little helpful.

In the end, they're both spectacular choices (you knew that).
They're both great performers (you knew that, too)
You will love either one (you probably guessed that).

My wife suggested that you try to drive them back-to-back and go with the one you love the most. That's probably decent advice if you can do it. Our Audi/Porsche dealership was a single store up until January of this year, so it was pretty easy to do that for her. Our sales guy would just hand her a wad of keys and say "go!". (On a side note: Lost the sales guy I liked to Porsche when they split, so I have to train a new one now. Dammit)

One thing I will say. You mentioned 20K miles/year. I surmise that's a substantial amount of interstate miles. I can say this much. On the 8 hour drive to her parents house, we usually take the Macan. I often find myself on a long straight stretch of road really admiring just how elegantly smooth the ride is, and when I need to pass someone, jumping from <ahem> to <oh boy> to go around is incredibly effortless. Sure, this is true in the S4, too, but it is something I really still don't expect in a CUV. At _LEAST_ not to that extent. I find neither car fatiguing for very long drives.

If you think of any questions, please ask. I'll be glad to try to help more.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mark and Talbot,

First I want to thank you for the time and care you put into those long well thought out reply's.

I think when anybody talks about comparing these vehicles, the conversation always goes circular. Both have so many good points, it just keeps going back and forth. The dealership I went to sells both Audi and Porsche so they do not care which one they sell you. They even have a hard time trying to justify one over the other.

So here are my questions that might help me make a selection.

a) Which vehicle in your opinion is quitter?
b) Which vehicle in your opinion has a smoother ride?
c) Which vehicle would you rather sit in on a longer drive?

Thanks,

Geoff
Old 04-14-2017, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gm56
Mark and Talbot,

First I want to thank you for the time and care you put into those long well thought out reply's.

I think when anybody talks about comparing these vehicles, the conversation always goes circular. Both have so many good points, it just keeps going back and forth. The dealership I went to sells both Audi and Porsche so they do not care which one they sell you. They even have a hard time trying to justify one over the other.

So here are my questions that might help me make a selection.

a) Which vehicle in your opinion is quitter?
b) Which vehicle in your opinion has a smoother ride?
c) Which vehicle would you rather sit in on a longer drive?

Thanks,

Geoff
I'm assuming by 'quitter' you meant quieter. If so, the S4 is the answer for each of those questions, particularly if you get the Prestige S4 with the dual pane front glass.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Again, I emphasize that my experience is for different model years.

a) the 2015 Macan S, by a hair
b) Straight-line, again the Macan
c) Toss-up - If I'm driving alone - the S4. If with my Wife, the Macan. (I drive just a little differently alone when I'm not responsible for someone else's life. Also, I play my music louder). That's more of a driving answer than a sitting answer. Sitting passively - the Macan edges out because it has ventilated seats that rock.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The 2018 SQ5 Prestige has the dual pane acoustic glass -- as does the S4.

I have driven the S4 Prestige -- but not the new 2018 SQ5. The new S4 is eerily quiet.

The S4 will PROBABLY be smoother -- you'll have to wait for the SQ5 and then test the three of them.

Audi has great seats.

The 2018 S4 (and I believe the SQ5, too) has STANDARD built-in power massage functions. I have tried the S4 and it is fantastic -- not quite S8 fantastic, but pretty close to that level of sophistication.

The S4 -- if equipped with the 18" wheels and tires will be a bit smoother than the larger sizes -- especially the ones offered on the CUV's in this discussion.

The 18's are 40 series tires, the 19's 35...at that level of aspect ratio, you will give up a lot of ride comfort.

We have 20's on our 2014 SQ5 Prestige.

We use Continental DWS Extreme contact 06 tires.

Said it before: YOU CANNOT GO WRONG with either one of these vehicles.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took out the Macan S this afternoon. I will be getting the S4. Thank you for your help.

Geoff
Old 04-17-2017, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My wife came to the same conclusion -- for the SQ5. The extra $9,000 -- since it was not in the Macan's glove box, sealed the deal (that and the more cramped rear seat (headroom) and the smaller cargo space.)

I'll surely tick off some folks with this: I spec'd out an A6 and an A7 -- the vehicles are, sans bodies, the same vehicle. I looked inside the glove box of the A7, and not finding the MSRP difference there (again about $10K equipped as I would like them), I just couldn't see any advantage that would justify the price. It's worse if you are behind the wheel, since there is even less that separates the two cars from each other when you're behind the wheel.

Once the roll of steel goes into the presses, I am just unable to "see" much justification for the price difference. I know folks love the looks of the A7, and I do too. The good thing is, I can admire the A7 when I'm driving my new S4, while the poor schlub behind the wheel is hardly able to discern the difference looking out over the hood.

If there is a COST difference ($10K), I stand corrected -- but based on current manufacturing efficiencies, I'd bet the difference is many hundreds of dollars.

Of course, I went kicking and screaming into paying extra for the Daytona Gray Pearl paint on my new S4 -- but I just thought it looked so good with the red leather interior.

My wife has no problem paying for the differences in paint -- but she couldn't find the cost difference justification between the SQ5 and the Macan S at the level of content she prefers (i.e., Audi's Prestige with a few additional items).

When you are willing to pay $9 or $10K more for -- something, that is great. At the level of Premiumness of both of these brands, there is some justification for at least part of the cost differences -- and if you and yours see it, great!

Drive it like you live.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:46 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

Same reasoning I had with picking the S4 over the S5 Sportback. Despite what can be said about understatement and gracefully ageing, I think the Sportback wins in the looks department. But given the large price differential, both in MSRP and in lack of discounts on the Sportback right now, I cam to the same conclusion you did. It's ultimately about how I feel when at the wheel that matters. Plus, the S4 has surprisingly more head room, 24mm up front and 8mm in the back.

Side note: how similar are our builds? Mine's Daytona Gray on red with everything except hot/cold package and the rear airbags.

Last edited by aj6; 04-17-2017 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: I am having a heck of a time choosing between