S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Interesting wiper "easter egg"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Interesting wiper "easter egg"?

Some of you may already know thus, but I didn't until I did this to see what happens.
This could be in the manual, but I haven't checked to see.

When you shut the car off, by pressing the "Stop" button, and everything shuts down, then pull down on the windshield wiper stalk.
The wipers will go up to the top of their arc and stop, and then stay there.

To return them back to normal resting position, start the car, wait a few seconds and then pull down on the wiper stalk, the wipers will return to their normal resting position.

The one use I can see for this is in the winter when we get snow and/or icy conditions that can stick the wiper blades to the windshield.
With other cars I usually pull the wipers up so they are away from the glass, and thus can't stick.
With many modern cars, like the S4, the wipers resting position is somewhat under the rear edge of the hood, and you can't pull the wipers up.
With this little "easter egg", the wipers come up nicely to a position where you can pull them away from the glass easily.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You can also set them from the MMI ‘service’ menu...’Wiper Service Position’
Old 04-30-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I use that trick all the time when I'm washing the car, and it's a lot easier than digging through the menu. Just be very, very careful to return the blades back to the window before you start the car and push or pull on the stalk. I forgot once last year and the arms scraped the front edge of the hood and slammed down on the glass. Luckily, my hood is coated with film and the film sacrificed itself and protected the paint.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:26 PM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice Easter Egg. Tried it today and it's much quicker than going into the MMI menus.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Awesome tip. I have always done this through the MMI Wiper Service Position, which is annoying because it takes a few minutes to get to activate, and then get to again to deactivate once you hop back in.

Putting the wipers up is key to easy windshield de-icing if you are parking in a snowstorm. I take this car up to the mountains to go skiing about 30 days each winter, and ideally it will be snowing 4+ inches when I go so this is sometimes a daily task.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

This was in my 2008 R32, for wiper service position. So, it's been in VW AG cars for a while now.
Oh I forgot that this was in my 2007 GTI as well.

Last edited by ywang98; 05-01-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
You can also set them from the MMI ‘service’ menu...’Wiper Service Position’
Yes, I knew about that, but this method is quicker, and I was surprised when it happened.

Is this quick method described in the owners manual?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Thanks! I was unaware of this.. During winter weather, I've always gone in the MMI to set it to service position. This makes it much easier.

Edit -- I guess if I had read my manual, I would have seen that they actually suggest this method first before the MMI option.

Last edited by RickNY; 05-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RickNY
Thanks! I was unaware of this.. During winter weather, I've always gone in the MMI to set it to service position. This makes it much easier.

Edit -- I guess if I had read my manual, I would have seen that they actually suggest this method first before the MMI option.
Cool.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I'm a firm believer in drive first, read the manual later though

Quick Reply: Interesting wiper "easter egg"?