S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Intermittent Creaking - Fit or Mechanical?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:03 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msinger
Dealer took the headliner out and epoxied the passenger door panel. Not much else. Took a test drive with their lead tech and he heard the noise from the back in about 2 minutes.

He is ordering a complete new door panel for the passenger door (another rattle) and a new third brake light for the back. I fully believe it sounds line a metal on metal creak opposed to something being loose.

I asked about the TSB on the car (for the rear glass) and he said that there was not one for my VIN. Sent him JD's post from above, but honestly I do not feel like they are attacking this at the sub-frame level.

Will bring it back in when the parts are in......meanwhile putting snows on today. Wonder if that will help.

FYI - The A4 loaner car was completely quiet and devoid of rattles/creaks. UGH.

They’re going to send a message out to TAC. Chances are they’re going to send it out for spot welds missing.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield creak

Thought I'd share my experience since I've learned so much from everyone.

Recently picked up a S4 and on the third day of ownership started hearing creaking sounds better the glove compartment. Pressing on the carbon fibre trim made a similar noise to what I had started hearing. If you open the glove box and peek up from underneath there's a space between the carbon trim and dash. I ended up sticking foam into that area to tone down the creaking. This worked relatively well for the first day. Pressing on the trim now was relatively silent.

The sound didn't actually go away but it was now apparent that the noise I was hearing initially was actually a combination of noises. The new noise bow sounded like sand blowing across the windshield. Pressing up against the windshield from inside the cabin didn't make the noise but when I finally parked and pressed down on the windshield from outside I could make out a similar sound. It turns out there was a ton of grit and sand trapped between the rubber flashing and windshield from the car sitting in the lot as long as it was. I ended up pressure washing the edges of the windshield then using a credit card with thick paper towel wrapped along the edge to clear all the grit out.

Back to day 1, I couldn't understand how the noise started sudden on day 3 when on day 1 and 2 it was perfectly fine and quiet. Eventually it occurred to me that on the first day the dealer has washed my car for pickup and on the second it was raining. The water essentially lubricated the gunk and grit so that it didn't run as much or as badly on the glass enough to make the sound.

Tldr, check for grit between the weather stripping and front windshield if you hear creaking or sounds coming from the windshield.

Thanks