S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Joining the S4 ownership ranks

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining the S4 ownership ranks

Several days ago I signed a purchase agreement to order a S4. This will be my first S4 but not Audi. I had previously owned a Q7 4.2 and currently still have a 2008 A4. Both were driven by my wife and were or still are excellent vehicles. For me, I've been more of a BMW guy. Several years ago I almost purchased a 2013 S4 with the Estoril Blue and panda interior. Though my emotions had the deciding vote and instead purchased a M3 coupe. At times I still wish that I had gone with S4 because it was, in my opinion, one of the best all around vehicles.

Present day, I've ordered the S4 as I don't need or want it until September. Plus, as discussed in another tread, I prefer to get the equipment and color combination of my choice. Configuration as follows:

S4 Prestige
Daytona Grey w/ Magma Red and Carbon trim
Black Optics
Cold Weather
Sport Pkg

For me, I'm taking a chance with the Magma Red interior. I haven't seen it in-person. I just couldn't go with a black interior (again) and grey is not for me.

I passed on the Drivers assistance package as I only wanted one item, being the high-beam assistant. I have the adaptive cruise control in my current DD and never use it. Good technology but in general, I never use cruise control.

I had considered other models including but not limited to F Pace and C43 sedan. BMW is near the end of production for the 3-series. If they had a new model, I would've considered it (the 5-series is too large for me). I feel Audi is one of the best for including performance in a AWD sedan at this class level. Plus there seems to be a stable market for used S4 (looking ahead 3-5 years for resale).

My current DD is a 2015 Jeep GC Summit w/ the HEMI engine. It's been a great all-season vehicle for me. I just want to go back to a sedan for DD. I also have a 2016 BMW M4 coupe w/ MT. This is my fun/weekend car. I do enjoy driving a manual transmission but I wouldn't want it for my daily driving.

I look forward to joining the S4 ownership ranks. There's a lot of good content within this forum. I will contribute where and when I can.

Best,
NHman
Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome

Welcome to the club. I have the same interior as you and I 100% love it. The red is not over done and makes getting in more special. All the contrast stitching on the wheel and leather is red too. Very nice.

Here is a pic. Fun times are ahead of you!

Last edited by stillwaterS6; 05-06-2017 at 04:23 AM. Reason: forgot a photo
Old 05-06-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
Welcome to the club. I have the same interior as you and I 100% love it. The red is not over done and makes getting in more special. All the contrast stitching on the wheel and leather is red too. Very nice.
stillwaterS6, thank you for providing me with the images (omitted from this reply). It does look. I feel the front blends in well but somewhat cautious about the rear seat, being a sea of red. This most likely is adjusting to the change from cars with mostly black interiors. I'm staying with Magma Red (as I need a change).
Old 05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

NHman,

I've also owned a Q7 4.2, currently drive a Q5 3.0T as my DD and considering a new S4 or F-Pace. I am curious what your thoughts were on the F-Pace if you test drove it. I keep going back and forth on getting a sedan or SUV/Crossover especially with kids, but not thrilled at all with the new Q5/SQ5. Thanks
Old 05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Qbruin
NHman,

I've also owned a Q7 4.2, currently drive a Q5 3.0T as my DD and considering a new S4 or F-Pace. I am curious what your thoughts were on the F-Pace if you test drove it. I keep going back and forth on getting a sedan or SUV/Crossover especially with kids, but not thrilled at all with the new Q5/SQ5. Thanks
Hi Obruin,

I did not test drive the F Pace. I was drawn to it due to it's exterior design and reviews of it being like a sports car but with utility. My concerns and the reason for not opting for it was were as follows:

Jaguar's history of bad resales. Though my ownership history, I have a balance of leased and purchased vehicles. This one will be purchased. After 3-years I expect to have 55-60k miles on the odometer. Should i decide to move onto a new vehicle, will the F Pace have decent a decent resale value? Unknown but history hasn't been kind to Jaguar's.

Limited dealers for service and body work. I have one dealer in my state. Again it's the unknown that gave me pause.

Great exterior but for it's class the interior could use an upgrade. Limited storage for front passengers.

The F Pace is the vehicle that I wanted to buy. Perhaps in 3-5 years with some positive history and interior improvements.

I agree with your comment on the Q5/SQ5, I just don't like the current design. Two other SUV's that I considered were the Macan S/GTS and JG SRT. The Porsche can get expensive quickly with key options. Plus I wasn't impressed with the utility part. The SRT, well I'm not ready to spend $73k on a Chrysler product.

My spouse has a SUV and will be getting a new one later this year. It is a MY15 BMW X3. Great vehicle and it's been flawless. We just want a change. Considering the Q7, Volvo XC90/XC60 or Q5 (as she likes the styling). Therefore I can get a sedan for my DD.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just received an update that my car is scheduled for production. With an estimated completion date on June 23rd. I made one minor change with eliminating the B.O. package. As much as I prefer the black trim around the windows, with the Daytona Grey, I preferred the aluminum trim pieces. Also I feel the 19" V-spoke look better vs. the 19" arm-rotor.

I had considered other color combinations including Tango Red w/ black leather interior and the black optics. In the end, I stayed with the safe and logical (for me) pick.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:16 AM
S42
Audiworld Junior Member

Congrats on the order. I just picked up an almost identical one (w/ Drive Assist) just on Monday. Agree with the move on the Rims - the normal 19s look better than the Rotors IMO.

I am in the process of blacking out all the chrome on the car now so will have pics up tomorrow if you want to get an idea on an aftermarket - for me it was a must!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S42
I am in the process of blacking out all the chrome on the car now so will have pics up tomorrow if you want to get an idea on an aftermarket - for me it was a must!
Yes please post pics of this. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S42
Congrats on the order. I just picked up an almost identical one (w/ Drive Assist) just on Monday. Agree with the move on the Rims - the normal 19s look better than the Rotors IMO.

Thanks. I also would like to see the pictures (after the work is done). Are you doing the work yourself or via a service?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd like to see a thread with the process you are taking to black everything out.

Quick Reply: Joining the S4 ownership ranks